Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 09:33 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,039 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure that's true. Many people move to Florida from the North to be able to grow the fruits and citrus they couldn't up North. It seems to be several factors, the citrus canker, poor soils, disease, excess of fruit, most new homes are now in HOA where they regulate what you can plant...etc.

BTW in many new CA subdivisions it's the same as in Florida. Generic, desertesq landscape plants. It's the older and affluent áreas that have the citrus and fruit trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 11:18 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
The citrus canker was a really big deal a few years back, and a lot of backyard citrus trees were ordered cut down in order to try to contain it. The lawsuits about that dragged on for a long time.

And once you get into North Florida & the Panhandle, the 4-5 nights of below 30F weather we get a year are enough to cause problems with a lot of less cold-hardy citrus. My tangerine is looking like it will survive after last winter's ice storm, but I don't know about the grapefruit.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:41 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
You see more citrus, avocado, fig, etc. trees in the yards of Southern Californians because gardening, organic produce, healthy eating, CSA, etc. are very much part of the cultural fabric of Southern California, unlike.
I know TONS of people/homes in South Florida with Avacado and Mango trees. Not sure what you are talking about but Avacado and Mango trees are ALL over the place. This is South Florida of course, where half the people are from South American and the Caribbean.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:06 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,656,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I know TONS of people/homes in South Florida with Avacado and Mango trees. Not sure what you are talking about but Avacado and Mango trees are ALL over the place. This is South Florida of course, where half the people are from South American and the Caribbean.
No one cares about Miami. Ick.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:20 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I live in Hollywood, FL and my neighbor grows pineapples quite nicely here.

I'm just disappointed I guess because when I visited California I was so happy to see all of these really cool citrus trees and avocados and ppl were like "uhhh u live in FL, this shouldn't seem that exotic to you"....

I was like "yeah, one would think, huh?"

didnt have an answer for them. . . . Excpet for "well, we have coconut palms"

I grew up in Hollywood! What part of the city are you in? We had some great fruit trees in our neighborhood including limes, oranges, avocados (the larger variety) and a weird hybrid between a grapefruit and lemon ( I think) that was like a large "bumpy" lemon with a grapefruit-like flavor.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:47 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,998,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I grew up in Hollywood! What part of the city are you in? We had some great fruit trees in our neighborhood including limes, oranges, avocados (the larger variety) and a weird hybrid between a grapefruit and lemon ( I think) that was like a large "bumpy" lemon with a grapefruit-like flavor.
Are you talking about Ugli fruit Kyle? I think they're a hybrid between Grapefruit and tangerine or tangelo.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:56 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
shocking news to me that people in different states in the same country have different views as too good health. What a crock of crap that is.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:10 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
We used to have more citrus trees before the canker scare. The county or state inspected every yard and tore out all citrus trees about 10-12 years ago due to the canker scare from everyone's yard.
I remember that. They never go to my neighborhood in Winter Park. Till this day a Meyers lemon we planted is still there but the new owners took out a scraggly Valencia orange tree.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:49 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
You see more citrus, avocado, fig, etc. trees in the yards of Southern Californians because gardening, organic produce, healthy eating, CSA, etc. are very much part of the cultural fabric of Southern California, unlike Florida.

Most people who live in Southern California are from Southern California or nearby areas such as Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, west Texas, etc.--other areas where citrus, avocado, and fig trees among others grow quite well--so Southern Californians are very accustomed to having these trees in their yards/on their properties, as most have had those types of fruit-bearing trees in the yards for all or most of their lives.

Furthermore, unlike the average Californian, the average Floridian didn't grow up in a place with a citrus and avocado trees, as most people who live in Florida are not native to the state and hail from much colder climates, although primarily the Northeast and Upper Midwest, so less familiarity overall with those types of trees as well as what can/cannot be grown in the state.

Also, the climate of Florida is less conducive to gardening overall, and there's much less emphasis on healthy, organic eating/living in Florida as there is in Southern California.
I think you're right on this one regarding less emphasis on healthy/organic eating/living in south FL.

I've lived in south FL for 12 years now, so I'm quite accustomed to it and the people by now. I consider myself a Floridian by now. I agree with you tho.
My 14 days in California were eye-opening in the sense that I got the feeling that organic eating/living is much more a part of life out there. There were farmer's markets everywhere. A million different kinds of small super-markets all catering to organic-locally-grown fruts and veggies.

Never see anything like that in FL. We barely have a Trader Joe's in south FL, except for one in Miami and one like somewhere else in boca..... if that.

I gotta admit after coming back from California I wish Florida had more envirnmentally conscious people, or at least south FL.
While I enjoy living in Hollywood and south FL is home. I def think it's lacking in organic living/eating.

quinoa anyone? lol

Old 04-27-2014, 12:53 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I live in the Hillcrest area of Hollywood.
never see any cool/exotic fruit trees.

Was at Hollywood beach yesterday (North Beach Park by Sheridan and a1a) and it was GORGEOUS.
I love the beaches in unbuilt up areas of Hollywood. They're so pretty. Water is beginning to warm, yet is still cool enough to be refreshing.

The palms were looking beautiful as always in the backdrop with those seagrape trees with the big leaves...
Looks like a tropical oasis.

who needs the Caribbean, anyway? jk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida