U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 16,281 times

Advertisements

Read through lots of info. Please tell me what you think about someone like me moving to Florida.
Lived in Indiana all my life.
Visited Florida numerous times, have friends in Clearwater/Tampa area, been to both sides of Florida. I'm not really set on Clearwater/Tampa, want to hear what might best suit me.

I am not looking to buy a home. I am only looking to rent. Home ownership is not important to me at this time.

I make what I consider to be decent money here...realize from what all I've read, to expect a lot less. My question would be how is it for office jobs, insurance/medical records, etc... I do not have a degree, only a business college background, work experience...
Would be moving with a roommate. Would even be willing to work a part time job like I do now in addition to full time, at least to start out. How difficult would it be to find a job before I get down there? Should I temp to begin?

I have no problems leaving this state, I hate it here, have always dreamed of moving to Florida.

Kids are not in my picture. I'm not looking for singles bars etc....mostly dog activites/shows, etc...
and of course biggest question BUGS... yes, I know they are bad... I can deal with lizards, gators, but I don't know about palmetto bugs, and how bad, (give me the truth are the spiders) I have major issues with spiders.

I know they spray all the time, so how bad is it living in an apartment if they spray each month.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.... I need to hear it from you folks in Florida. I don't expect a vacation land fairy tale, but if I hear enough reality, I may choose another state.

Lori
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2006, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 8,140 times
Default From Indiana to Florida

I grew up in Evansville, IN; lived to Indianapolis for 5 years and St. Louis for 2. I moved to Orlando 9 years ago to work for the mouse and love it.

I'm in an office environment. I really enjoy being able to be outside year round. I took up inline speed skating a few years ago and the weather here gives me the opportunity to train all year long.

Anything else I can tell you? Just let me know.

Don

Old 10-24-2006, 09:27 PM

2 posts, read 16,281 times
Thanks for the reply. I've not been to Evansville myself... Indy is great for a small get away and been to lots of hockey games there.

My aunt originally lived in Titusville, so I've been through Orlando many times... I like that side too, but I've heard it is more expensive from my friend in Clearwater.... I guess the most important thing is the job market..

and one other thing, although you are a guy ... how bad are the bugs, I am talking mostly about living in an apartment setting, but also might be looking at rental homes. Primarily spiders. Also, my dog is my priority, and I am most worried that she might not be able to be out for walks, due to the heat...?? Do you get some kind of reprieve during months like this?

Thanks so much.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:28 AM

1,418 posts, read 9,341,612 times
If you are competent in your field, you should have no problem at all getting a job in the Tampa, Orlando, or Jacksonville areas. I don't know as much about Miami. If you do insurance coding for physicians, or deal with medical billing, and have decent experience at it, you will get snapped up pretty quickly. Also, I don't know what you make in Indiana, but office workers probably make salaries comparable to what you're used to. Maybe slightly less, but I don't think it's all that significant. The big differences are between Florida salaries NY City (and other north-east large cities), and the larger Californian cities.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:20 AM

198 posts, read 869,661 times
When I was going to USF and living in apartment nearby, never really had a problem with insects. Yes they did spray once a month and we did try to keep the place somewhat clean. But it is Florida after all and bugs can be found almost everywhere. Palmetto bugs aka roaches are only a problem if you are really messy or the apartment building you move into is already infested with them. Just due your due diligence before signing any leases and if it looks dirty on the outside, keep looking....

Old 10-25-2006, 12:50 PM

13,495 posts, read 33,973,534 times
My brother lived in Ind. for 35 years. He retired and moved to Fla. about 10 years ago and loves it there. No snow to shovel, no cold winter days, etc. Hope this helps you in making your decision.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:14 PM

75 posts, read 306,632 times
Well, we are not messy, and roaches are everywhere. They generally only come out late at night in the dark though. Sometimes you see them when they are getting ready to die and don't care if it is light out.

But seriously, you get used to them. From what you told me of youself, you would probably like it down here in Central Florida. Tampa or St Pete even might be good for you depending on how much you want to spend on rent and what you expect to get out of it.

I've never seen a dog that couldn't handle a walk in the summer down here in Tampa. I suppose if your dog is old or crippled, you might just want to find an apt complex with lots of shade.

Old 11-17-2006, 06:54 PM

9,812 posts, read 20,042,360 times
Lori, please don't move to Florida or any place in the lower south. The population of Florida is projected to double in the next 20 years, from its current level of about 16 million people to over 30. The environment is already suffering. There are terrible water shortages in some cites with no practical solution in sight. Traffic is terrible, the cost of living is steadily increasing. Stay home, please. Don't move to Florida. Tell your friends - don't move to Florida.

Old 11-17-2006, 09:30 PM

1,683 posts, read 7,565,065 times
I guess I'm in the minority, but I have lived in Florida for 25 years and never had a problem with bugs with the exception of ants in the lawn and sometimes in the pavers. That is readily treated. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Old 11-17-2006, 10:40 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,721,552 times
I was thinking of moving to Indiana, why are you leaving? Got a friend who moved there and business is good ( he rents equipment ) a lot better than when he lived in Miami. Also you seem to have white people who speak English there. Wow imagine going somewhere and not having to see refugees lined up on the corner looking for work....or is that there too? I want to know all the negative things about Indiana, please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or