U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 10:12 PM

4,158 posts, read 7,887,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Megalev to go just 14 miles, and probably a half hour wait inbetween trains? Hmm...why do I not see the advantage of going Megalev here???? For the cost of the Megalev vs. light rail, how much light rail could we have built throughout Florida's cities? Forget about trains for a second...how many crosswalks and bike lanes could we have painted and sidewalks fixed? How many incomplete bike trails and rail trails could be finished?

Florida continues to be the most dangerous State for pedestrians and cyclists, meanwhile the attitude at FDOTransportation seems to be that walking and biking are not legitimate forms of *transportation.*
The state is not building the Maglev train, a private company is. I'm sure if tax dollars were going towards it the state would have found the cheapest option but with the Malev company is volunteering to build it essentially for free...well. Same goes for the All Aboard Florida project, Florida East Coast Railways, a private corporation, is building that. So essentially these projects aren't taking away any transportation dollars for the other projects you listed. Private dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 05:00 AM

478 posts, read 892,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Our highspeed rail between Tampa and Orlando probably would have been close to up and running by now but the good governor rejected the project. It would have been nice and big economic boost for both regions. Maybe the All Aboard Florida group will step in and extend the line from OIA to TPA.
I would love to see a AAF extend to Tampa but the problem here is right of way. Maybe AAF can work out a deal with the state for the I-4 right of way. Otherwise, there will be no Orlando/Tampa connector using the competitor's track (C.S.X.).

Old 05-22-2014, 05:02 AM

Quote:
The state is not building the Maglev train, a private company is. I'm sure if tax dollars were going towards it the state would have found the cheapest option but with the Malev company is volunteering to build it essentially for free...well. Same goes for the All Aboard Florida project, Florida East Coast Railways, a private corporation, is building that. So essentially these projects aren't taking away any transportation dollars for the other projects you listed. Private dollars.
Thank you for setting that straight.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:33 AM

11,882 posts, read 11,106,088 times
Quote:
Sounds good. Do these projects operate as a PPP (Private Public Partnership) or are they entirely built using private money.

Final point I want to make is that people focus on transportation as something which makes profit, while in fact it should be thought of as an investment which can drive growth. Remember from Economics class that the 4 sources which contribute to the national economy are:
  1. Consumer Purchases
  2. Investments
  3. Government Expenditures
  4. Net Exports

Though Consumer Purchases (which usually leads to profits) contribute the largest amount, other 3 factors cant simply be ignored.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofFlorida View Post
Source: The Ledger

More: SunRail Exceeds Initial Passenger Estimates | TheLedger.com

Nice numbers thus far. One can only hope it doesn't fall off once patrons have to pay.
Here are the numbers from Monday. Even though the article boldly states that ridership is below projections, it's not by much.

SunRail paid ridership below expectations - Orlando Sentinel

Last edited by HeartofFlorida; 05-22-2014 at 08:06 AM..

Old 05-22-2014, 07:56 AM

3,580 posts, read 5,817,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Megalev to go just 14 miles, and probably a half hour wait inbetween trains? Hmm...why do I not see the advantage of going Megalev here???? For the cost of the Megalev vs. light rail, how much light rail could we have built throughout Florida's cities? Forget about trains for a second...how many crosswalks and bike lanes could we have painted and sidewalks fixed? How many incomplete bike trails and rail trails could be finished?

Florida continues to be the most dangerous State for pedestrians and cyclists, meanwhile the attitude at FDOTransportation seems to be that walking and biking are not legitimate forms of *transportation.*
While I agree about your biking and walking comment, I must inquire if you realize this is a private venture regarding Maglev so wtf do you care what type of system they build?

It's like the Disney Monorail, if they had wanted conestoga wagons then fine, their money, their choice.

Plus tourists will flock to it since it will be an experience and a viable way for conventioners and vacationers alike to visit Orlando without a car, thus making things better for us and them.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:04 AM

3,580 posts, read 5,817,470 times
Quote:
Here are the numbers from Monday. Even the article boldly states that ridership is below projections, it's not by much.

SunRail paid ridership below expectations - Orlando Sentinel
And it's expected to average 4300 riders per day, it got 4100 on its first day, a Monday of a holiday week.

Keep in mind some days will be busier than others as there are weekdays like Monday that I don't even go in and therefore, I a regular, wasn't in that count.

On top of that, nobody is checking tickets or sun cards so I'm sure a small amount on each train is slipping through the cracks which could easily explain the gap in ridership vs prediction.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Sounds good. Do these projects operate as a PPP (Private Public Partnership) or are they entirely built using private money.

Final point I want to make is that people focus on transportation as something which makes profit, while in fact it should be thought of as an investment which can drive growth. Remember from Economics class that the 4 sources which contribute to the national economy are:
  1. Consumer Purchases
  2. Investments
  3. Government Expenditures
  4. Net Exports

Though Consumer Purchases (which usually leads to profits) contribute the largest amount, other 3 factors cant simply be ignored.
Also also remember what was taught in my very first econ class: NOTHING IS FREE!

The same people that complain about alternative forms of mass transit never complain about the roads they drive on. These are the same people that never look at the greater good and will only refer to list above only when it affects them:

1. Consumer Purchases - Can I get to the store
  2. Investments - As long as I don't have to pay for it.
  3. Government Expenditures - Only during natural disasters or wartime. Otherwise, stay out of my pockets.
  4. Net Exports - WHAT!? Made in America Only!

Old 05-22-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
And it's expected to average 4300 riders per day, it got 4100 on its first day, a Monday of a holiday week.

Keep in mind some days will be busier than others as there are weekdays like Monday that I don't even go in and therefore, I a regular, wasn't in that count.

On top of that, nobody is checking tickets or sun cards so I'm sure a small amount on each train is slipping through the cracks which could easily explain the gap in ridership vs prediction.
Agreed! I just didn't like the hometown rag's title for that story. Being off by 200 people on the first day is like getting a ticket for driving 47mph in a 45mph zone.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:15 AM

4,158 posts, read 7,887,849 times
Quote:
Agreed! I just didn't like the hometown rag's title for that story. Being off by 200 people on the first day is like getting a ticket for driving 47mph in a 45mph zone.
Yeah technically it wasn't even 200, the official count was 4177 so it was actually 123 which is negligible at best. I heard ridership was higher Tuesday and mid week as well. I'm not concerned about meeting projections, I'm more interested in exceeding projections so they'll expand service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or