U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 10:21 AM

3,582 posts, read 5,825,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Wouldnt success mean the train pays for itself and pays back the 1.5 billion in tax payer $$ it cost to build? One thing i wouldnt call success is if tax payers have to foot the bill for continued maintenance and upkeep.
You clearly don't understand how transportation infrastructure works, but thanks for checking in lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 11:15 AM

34,266 posts, read 41,311,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
You clearly don't understand how transportation infrastructure works, but thanks for checking in lol.
So the Florida tax payers are expected to continue to finance this commuter train with a blank cheque for everything it needs.? Obviously i dont understand nor do many others i would imagine, a brief recap of how transportation infrastructure works would be appreciated.
thanks

Old 05-25-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
So the Florida tax payers are expected to continue to finance this commuter train with a blank cheque for everything it needs.? Obviously i dont understand nor do many others i would imagine, a brief recap of how transportation infrastructure works would be appreciated.
thanks
Start here:Orlando Sentinel

And yes the poor taxpayers should have to pay for this social service just like the non money earning police, fire, schools, buses, roads, etc. That's the way it is in civilized society and only a complete barbarian would suggest otherwise.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:07 AM

34,266 posts, read 41,311,916 times
At the risk of being labeled a barbarian, police,fire, schools etc are something a community needs having all Floridians get taxed to support some little commuter train in Orlando isnt something i'd be in favor of if i lived elsewhere in the state..

Old 05-26-2014, 05:48 AM

199 posts, read 451,292 times
What I like best about Sun Rail is it stops at Florida Hospital and blows the horns and wakes up the patients on the west side of the building. Real treat when your in critical condition.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxville View Post
What I like best about Sun Rail is it stops at Florida Hospital and blows the horns and wakes up the patients on the west side of the building. Real treat when your in critical condition.
Freight has been doing the same with louder horns for years and the critical care patients have lived, well except those that didn't.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:06 AM

478 posts, read 893,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlflausa View Post
freight has been doing the same with louder horns for years and the critical care patients have lived, well except those that didn't.
thank you!

Old 05-26-2014, 09:08 AM

478 posts, read 893,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxville View Post
I'm sure those tracks have been in place long before that hospital. If you don't want horns to blast, establish quiet zones like Lakeland did in downtown. They come online next week.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:30 PM

Its funny to see all these people screaming and moaning about rail, when there's nothing they can do cept continue to pay their taxes so I can enjoy my rides to work.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:12 PM

4 posts, read 3,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
In NYC people have to make that "last train" or "last bus" to return to suburbia at the end of the work day. Happens in Japan too. You're not going to have a 24/7 system from the start, probably never will, but it is a better alternative than no alternative.
NYC is not the best city to use for this argument. When I go to visit my family, I can take a 2 or 3am train from Manhattan back to Brooklyn. A train system should still have a decent schedule- an 11pm ending time would be a good ending time. (at least 10pm since it is just starting out)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or