U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2017, 08:25 AM

28 posts, read 19,703 times

Advertisements

Born and raised in MN > relocated to AZ > relocated to FL - I don't regret coming here in the slightest! I love the rain and greenery, and it was always a dream for me to be this close to the beach, especially such nice swimming beaches. The desert is cool to visit, but wasn't a good fit for a water lover like me. And I enjoy snow but not 7 months of it, like another user in this thread said, hahah.

Unfortunately my field doesn't pay well in FL and I'm struggling to keep up with the cost of rent - and being in my 30s, I want to get established as a home owner, but housing costs are much higher than my pay can justify. We're looking to relocate to the northeast, where I can make about 70% more pay for the same work, with reasonable cost of living in comparison (not going to be in Boston/NYC areas) and have more decent health care. Kills me to leave the beaches, but I do miss the seasons, and we will certainly be back to visit! And we'll have the coast not too far away, even if they aren't the same as here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 10:05 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,247,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo-shark View Post
Born and raised in MN > relocated to AZ > relocated to FL - I don't regret coming here in the slightest! I love the rain and greenery, and it was always a dream for me to be this close to the beach, especially such nice swimming beaches. The desert is cool to visit, but wasn't a good fit for a water lover like me. And I enjoy snow but not 7 months of it, like another user in this thread said, hahah.

Unfortunately my field doesn't pay well in FL and I'm struggling to keep up with the cost of rent - and being in my 30s, I want to get established as a home owner, but housing costs are much higher than my pay can justify. We're looking to relocate to the northeast, where I can make about 70% more pay for the same work, with reasonable cost of living in comparison (not going to be in Boston/NYC areas) and have more decent health care. Kills me to leave the beaches, but I do miss the seasons, and we will certainly be back to visit! And we'll have the coast not too far away, even if they aren't the same as here.
Research how much of a bite taxes are going to take out of your 70% gain. In NYC there are federal, state and city taxes. Research rents. In the NYC boroughs a 2 bedroom, one bath runs around $2k a month and that is in a building built in the 1930's. Electricity will be significantly higher in NYC. Good luck.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:23 AM

22 posts, read 13,484 times
Moved to Florida from Chicago 4 years ago. Loved Chicago, love Florida. We were lucky, able to retire early. We just got tired of dealing with the winters in Chicago. Only thing I miss, being able to go out my door and walk to almost any ethnicity restaurant. Especially miss good Chinese, Vietnamese and Thai food.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:42 AM

17,526 posts, read 10,609,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscurrion View Post
Moved to Florida from Chicago 4 years ago. Loved Chicago, love Florida. We were lucky, able to retire early. We just got tired of dealing with the winters in Chicago. Only thing I miss, being able to go out my door and walk to almost any ethnicity restaurant. Especially miss good Chinese, Vietnamese and Thai food.
This is one thing people need to realize. FL will not be like "home" unless you grew up there and still live there.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:39 PM

4 posts, read 3,378 times
I moved here from NY. I used to miss everything a lot, especially the seasons. But after living here for 10 years I can honestly say I'm glad I made the move. Florida heat was hard to get used to, and I compared it to NY for far too long. But, when I realized Florida isn't NY and started seeing what was there, I started to truly appreciate it here. Wouldn't move back.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:17 AM

9,623 posts, read 6,605,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireth View Post
I moved here from NY. I used to miss everything a lot, especially the seasons. But after living here for 10 years I can honestly say I'm glad I made the move. Florida heat was hard to get used to, and I compared it to NY for far too long. But, when I realized Florida isn't NY and started seeing what was there, I started to truly appreciate it here. Wouldn't move back.
Well said. I felt/feel the same way about my move here (from Montreal.) It took a while, but eventually I realized that this is not a Northern-style urban type of place, and so everything that I was used to isn't going to be here. Rather, I've come to embrace what Florida DOES have that up North does not.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:17 PM

17,526 posts, read 10,609,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireth View Post
When you change your location you have to change many other things as well. If all a person does is look behind at what they left behind, they will not see what is ahead of them that will be new and enjoyable.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:21 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,370,412 times
We just moved here from NY. We have no regrets. That doesn't mean that Florida is a perfect utopia ( nothing is). It's just that it is different here in FL. Back in NY, everything is political, everything is racial, the weather is horrible for 9 months out of the year, the roads are horrible, highest tolls, property taxes, sales taxes, parking fines, car insurance rates, crumbling infrastructure, people are always in a rush.

Here people are friendlier, the roads are immaculate. But Florida is not perfect as I said earlier. The prices of groceries are expensive, and this state probably has the absolute worst driving habits. It also takes a while to get use to the wildlife here ( snakes, gators, etc), but other then that we are all pleased with our move here to FL. Anything is better then NY

Old 10-28-2017, 03:10 PM

5 posts, read 3,397 times
Moved here from Upstate NY. Been here 14 years now. Am beginning to hate it. The weather has been fine for the most part but I am a bit annoyed with the cost of living. The wages stink. It was fine for me in my 20s, but as I am getting older I am thinking of moving somewhere else where I can one day purchase a house. I don't see it possible for me to buy a house or advance in my career here. So I am now in my late 30s and want to move. Its just not for everyone here.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:51 PM

786 posts, read 494,792 times
Moved to SoFla from PA, my Wife from CT, we lived there for 30+ years combined, left 2 years ago for San Diego, best decision I ever made, my Salary Doubled, I'm saving more than ever and also investing heavily into my 401K, I work for a good employer who actually cares about employees and pay's a great compensation + bonuses and has a nice work environment 5 miles from the beach.

After working in SoFla for the years we both now realize how bad it is there, halfassed companies, toxic work environments and poor benefits, salaries in relation to the very high cost of living. Not only that here I have more opportunity to fall back on where as in FL I had little to nothing.

Don't get us wrong though, we miss things about FL and SoFla in general, but it's wasn't worth another year to stay put to and try to enjoy it which was difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or