U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2017, 08:12 AM

4,091 posts, read 4,673,345 times

Advertisements

I can tell you that anybody who moved from NYC to Tampa regrets their choice. How do I know this? Don't worry. They'll tell you how much better everything was "back home." But don't worry... They wont move back either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 10:59 PM

7,928 posts, read 17,757,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
I can tell you that anybody who moved from NYC to Tampa regrets their choice. How do I know this? Don't worry. They'll tell you how much better everything was "back home." But don't worry... They wont move back either.
Well we are from NYC brooklyn to be exact, have lived in NJ and have lived in S Florida for 4 years and now in Tampa and NOTHING is better back HOME...So I will have to disagree to a certain degree .I know so many people from here who yes they miss certain things from back home, and then those who move for the wrong reasons so they Want things to be like back home and my answer to that is then WHY did you move in the 1st place..Then you have those of us and there are A Lot of us who welcome the change and it doesn't need to be like home because I have to say I have found things that are just as good in Tampa without the Attitudes...

Florida has always felt like home for our family cant explain it since we aren't from there but that is how we feel...

Old 11-05-2017, 11:33 AM

2,359 posts, read 4,479,007 times
It all depends on what your giving up for what you'll be getting. I'm sure florida living is better living than a lot of places " up north". but its a whole lot worse than some places also. We moved to Florida after living in N.H. for over 40 years. Stayed 10 years and moved back to N.H.. We couldn't seem to find the quality of life that we were used to. Once the novelty wore off it seemed pretty dull. Had the boat, the motorcycles ect. Still dull. We have friends down there that came from up North that love it down there. It all depends what you'll be giving up for what you'll be getting. You'll really never know until you try.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
It all depends on what your giving up for what you'll be getting. I'm sure florida living is better living than a lot of places " up north". but its a whole lot worse than some places also. We moved to Florida after living in N.H. for over 40 years. Stayed 10 years and moved back to N.H.. We couldn't seem to find the quality of life that we were used to. Once the novelty wore off it seemed pretty dull. Had the boat, the motorcycles ect. Still dull. We have friends down there that came from up North that love it down there. It all depends what you'll be giving up for what you'll be getting. You'll really never know until you try.
I agree ken. We moved back to NJ for personal Reasons and well we now remember why we left in the 1st place back in 2007..we gave up nothing to move to Florida and for us as life is actually better for us in Florida..It also gives our adult kids a fighting chance to live, NJ is insane the cost of living and property taxes and a whole lot of other things...

Old 11-06-2017, 06:47 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 2,049,148 times
"If you moved to Florida from up north, are you glad you made the move?"

Answer: A resounding Yes! I'm a warm weather person and my body needs the humidity. I didn't like the dry heat out west. I hibernated as much as I could get away with in the winter when we lived north.

We rented here for 4 years and know all about the seasons, or lack of them , and have built our forever home which is now almost a year old.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:44 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,361,045 times
Can't tell you how much better off we are in FL then compared to NY. My wife had much better job opportunities in education, our cost of living dropped, and of course the weather is much better. Nothing is perfect but anything is better then NY. We were tired of struggling every month and living paycheck to paycheck. Here the infrastructure is better, the taxes are lower, and there is less bureaucratic nonsense. Example, in NY I lived in Orange County where there were say about 12 school districts, at least. Here in Florida there is only one school district in the county I live in. Now back in NY , each of those school districts had their own superintendent, assistant superintendents, principals,etc each making at least $100,000. Then you had your towns and villages. Where I live in Florida it is unincorporated so the county is the lowest level of government. I used to feel like a sucker when I lived inNY, there is a life outside the northeast, you just have to do your research

Old 11-09-2017, 08:29 AM

17,432 posts, read 10,510,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Can't tell you how much better off we are in FL then compared to NY. My wife had much better job opportunities in education, our cost of living dropped, and of course the weather is much better. Nothing is perfect but anything is better then NY. We were tired of struggling every month and living paycheck to paycheck. Here the infrastructure is better, the taxes are lower, and there is less bureaucratic nonsense. Example, in NY I lived in Orange County where there were say about 12 school districts, at least. Here in Florida there is only one school district in the county I live in. Now back in NY , each of those school districts had their own superintendent, assistant superintendents, principals,etc each making at least $100,000. Then you had your towns and villages. Where I live in Florida it is unincorporated so the county is the lowest level of government. I used to feel like a sucker when I lived inNY, there is a life outside the northeast, you just have to do your research
Now if all those moving South to flee the problems there, would quit trying to make FL like where they came from.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:40 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,143,867 times
Lived in Fla for 25 years, left to move to NH for 1 year, came back to Fla for 9 years and left to move to NC. Don't regret leaving one bit. Cost of living was outrageous, constant congestion during season was grinding, endless heat and humidity was boring (as well as the brush landscape) and the people in general weren't our type. No matter where you went it was just old people. Old people at the store, at the hospital, at the park, at the kids museum. We wanted more for our kid culturally. A few art festivals during season and a Christmas parade in 90 degrees wasn't cutting it. She's is LOVING autumn here in NC. I can't keep her inside. Out riding bikes and playing with kids in the neighborhood nightly. We had to hear it weekly from the HOA about kids playing outside in Fla. We have yet to miss 1 thing about Florida. Even if we didn't/couldn't stay here we wouldn't return to Fla.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Now if all those moving South to flee the problems there, would quit trying to make FL like where they came from.
You are so right...We love the change...When we lived in that awful place called Charlotte Everyone wanted it to be like back home it was quite annoying actually because most of them moved for the cost of living and had no idea what it was like to live out of the Northeast....Now our worst mistake was moving to Charlotte but We loved living in S Florida for those 4 years and are very excited for our now Adult children and hubby and I to start a new chapter In Tampa...

Change is good sometimes, and if people want things like they had back home then they should go back...

Old 11-09-2017, 01:41 PM

4 posts, read 3,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Completely agree. Those are the ones who seem to be most miserable here too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or