U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2017, 09:36 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 2,071,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
This thread is too funny...
I was born and raised in So Fla.....tried to move up north.....and hated it
...learned my lesson, and came running back

I love summers here, and absolutely hate winters....hate the cold, the wind, getting dark at 5...having to constantly watch the weather to bring plants in when it gets too cold....hate winter! once I get cold, I can't warm back up, and I don't even want to move
Summer I can always cool off, either garden early or late, take clothes off, jump in the water
I'm exactly the same. We were at a friend's house about a week ago. It was chilly when it got dark for me and I had shorts on. After we got home I huddled under two blankets and still didn't get warm until after I went to bed.

Yep, I can cool off easier than I can warm up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 12:52 PM

2,796 posts, read 817,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
It was chilly when it got dark for me .
LOL...what was it...about 75?
....that seems to be my cut off point.....below that and it's 2 prs socks, sweat pants, sweat shirt
below 70 and it's full out snow gear

Old 11-21-2017, 06:23 PM

9 posts, read 7,698 times
Corrie22 - so nice to hear a native Floridian speak well of FL! I seem to read so many negative comments and posts about FL. I have never lived in FL, but we might be for a job transfer. It would be up in the panhandle along the Emerald Coast. I am a warm weather girl and have lived in colder climates all of my adult life; OR, WA, Maine, after growing up in hot, dry SoCal. I am over long cold winters and just being cold. I suffer from Raynauds so cold is difficult for me, especially wet cold. If we do end up in FL I will probably miss certain things, maybe even some seasons, and definitely family, but I know I will be thankful to be warm again. I know it's humid and buggy, but again, at this point I will take that over cold, wet, long winters. Hope to know for sure in the next few weeks.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:50 PM

17,526 posts, read 10,609,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptynest52 View Post
Corrie22 - so nice to hear a native Floridian speak well of FL! I seem to read so many negative comments and posts about FL. I have never lived in FL, but we might be for a job transfer. It would be up in the panhandle along the Emerald Coast. I am a warm weather girl and have lived in colder climates all of my adult life; OR, WA, Maine, after growing up in hot, dry SoCal. I am over long cold winters and just being cold. I suffer from Raynauds so cold is difficult for me, especially wet cold. If we do end up in FL I will probably miss certain things, maybe even some seasons, and definitely family, but I know I will be thankful to be warm again. I know it's humid and buggy, but again, at this point I will take that over cold, wet, long winters. Hope to know for sure in the next few weeks.
The panhandle can get cold at times, even snow, but nothing like OR, WA or Maine. Just for a very short time and not constant.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:30 AM

120 posts, read 68,867 times
We lived in S. FL for 10+ years and moved to Virginia. I could not stand the fact that S Florida was turning into a parking lot and what they are doing to the environment via Lake O. discharges and just paving everything over. It was just getting worse and worse. The turning point was when they approved a development with thousands of new homes right next to our unincorporated community (the Westlake fiasco). Considered going to North FL but did not want to be surrounded by camo-wearing transplants whose only purpose in life is to run around on ATVs and cause a racket. The whole state is overrun by different kinds of transplants, most of who consider the place to be one giant throwaway playground. Broke my heart.

Then we moved to rural Virginia and yes, weather sucks. Insects don't bother me but if you thought Florida is insect kingdom, think again, Virginia is nothing shorter on these guys. Winter sucks, did I say that? However, the people in our area and, in general, in the state (minus Northern VA) are the best you will ever find. Far cry from the kind of folks that have infested and over-run FL. Ah yes, Virginia taxes suck too. State income tax + taxes on all your vehicles?!?!?

We would love to go back south for the weather and nature. Florida has beautiful state parks, forests, beaches. But the people.... take your pick - Jersey/New yawkews on the east coast of the state, midwesterners on the west coast, camo-crowd in the middle all over... Hard to find the people born and raised in FL - they all left (or are in hiding haha).

I love the state and miss it but it has been largely ruined forever

Old 11-22-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartWantsWhatItWants View Post

We would love to go back south for the weather and nature. Florida has beautiful state parks, forests, beaches. But the people.... take your pick - Jersey/New yawkews on the east coast of the state, midwesterners on the west coast, camo-crowd in the middle all over... Hard to find the people born and raised in FL - they all left (or are in hiding haha).

you are right; with your view of the people, stay where you are.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:33 AM

2,359 posts, read 4,490,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston904 View Post
It's too bad after all these years you're still blaming Florida for your failed relocation
Not failed at all. Did well enough in Florida to afford property I N.H. and Florida. Still have property in Florida but would rather live in N.H. and visit Florida than to live down there full time. Been there done that.

Old 11-23-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Not failed at all. Did well enough in Florida to afford property I N.H. and Florida. Still have property in Florida but would rather live in N.H. and visit Florida than to live down there full time. Been there done that.
For those who can afford it, you get the best of both worlds. Snowbird in the Winter in FL.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:23 AM

209 posts, read 212,723 times
Yes I am glad I made the move.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:35 PM

786 posts, read 494,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartWantsWhatItWants View Post
We lived in S. FL for 10+ years and moved to Virginia. I could not stand the fact that S Florida was turning into a parking lot and what they are doing to the environment via Lake O. discharges and just paving everything over. It was just getting worse and worse. The turning point was when they approved a development with thousands of new homes right next to our unincorporated community (the Westlake fiasco). Considered going to North FL but did not want to be surrounded by camo-wearing transplants whose only purpose in life is to run around on ATVs and cause a racket. The whole state is overrun by different kinds of transplants, most of who consider the place to be one giant throwaway playground. Broke my heart.

Then we moved to rural Virginia and yes, weather sucks. Insects don't bother me but if you thought Florida is insect kingdom, think again, Virginia is nothing shorter on these guys. Winter sucks, did I say that? However, the people in our area and, in general, in the state (minus Northern VA) are the best you will ever find. Far cry from the kind of folks that have infested and over-run FL. Ah yes, Virginia taxes suck too. State income tax + taxes on all your vehicles?!?!?

My Wife and I lived in South Florida (West Palm Beach Area) a combined 30+ years, while it wasn't all a living hell, career wise for us it felt like we were just spinning our wheels. As the cost of living rose, it became less and less of a place we felt like it was worth it. I also felt personally I was throwing away opportunity to grow in my career by staying, stagnant and a serious lack of opportunity in my field was an understatement.

The only thing we miss is those things you mentioned, the weather and nature, beaches and etc. Not the people on a whole or the overpriced housing/low paying jobs along with the absurd high cost of living, driving there was also a daily thing I hated. I hated my commute, I actually did not want to leave work and would often stay late hoping to avoid the daily nightmare but it didn't seem to matter. People cannot drive in Florida at all, having lived in 4 states now, I can say that Florida, mainly South Florida, is the worst place I ever lived in terms of driving.

Do we regret our time there, no, not at all it had it's positives and we have some good memories along with a lot of negatives and hard times. Personally I feel I held myself back staying and my wife agrees, that is career growth and opportunity. Would we go back? Not for all the tea in China, not at least to South Florida, it's projected to get worse there in due time. Traffic will eventually rival or surpass LA and for such a small area in comparison that is something I have no interest in dealing with.

Along with that the greedy people there, we saw so much greed and people trying to make a quick buck, crooked people and corruption. People are overly pretentious as well there, though I see it here and in the OC (Orange County California) it's not the same. Posers are in high numbers in SoFla, seems like it's the big thing there. There is a lot of wealth there as well, those are the ones who tend to live in a bubble or those who are being paid well or are empowered in their careers, they won't agree and feel it's just paradise across the board.

We moved to the San Diego Area and while the cost of living is high here, housing is high, incomes for us both are very high and even after 2 years of being here our wages have grown along with perks we never had in SoFla, lower cost of insurance across the board, substantially. Bonuses and stock options, job opportunity in general in CA for us both is night and day better. Also we notice that employers here treat their employees much better, in SoFla employers treat their employees like crap, could careless about you personally, just a number to them dont' like it there's the door mentality. They know that opportunity is limited and can treat people like that, people have no options but to stay at dead end jobs for years.

Also here, non-competes are invalid which we both signed in Florida at most employers we worked at.

Most people that move to Florida from the North do it for the weather and lifestyle, wealthy retirees or Baby Boomers can make it happen, not for Careers which for many I would think overall would be a big mistake. Opportunity is often very limited in many fields and pay wll not be enough in some areas. Florida is still known as a low wage state, not too uncommon to see people of a young to middle working age with BS or MS degrees within a respected field, selling themselves short or just settling for the status quo. Taking dead end job after dead end job, I saw it reviewing resumes and it was quite sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or