U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 12:18 PM

786 posts, read 495,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Tough boss, huh?
Bosses, most every company I worked for never gave the reach around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 08:56 AM

5,822 posts, read 13,313,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
More FL bashing?
I don't believe many of these people are "bashing FL," not everyone is happy with living there. I have spent many winters in FL and personally would not choose to live there all year. I am not "bashing" your state only, like others expressing a different opinion than yours.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:14 AM

5,822 posts, read 13,313,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartWantsWhatItWants View Post
I spent 10 years in South Florida - I think I was exposed to pretty much everything. Florida used to be a nice place - there were cattle ranches, horse ranches etc. etc. all over the state. However, most of those sold off for developments. You know, trees don't grow to the sky - you cannot have an infinite amount of people coming into the state and the state still remain the same. If you believe that this is possible, well, you are deluding yourself.

SoFla is a zoo with not much of career opportunities. Middle class in SoFla is thin, you either own the lawn or you mow the lawn. If you try going north away from the towns, you end up surrounded by the camo wearing crowd, dogs running loose, a**holes spinning their ATVs on the dirt roads etc. etc. There may be a few nice places left but as the population is growing daily there - Florida is now ranked #3 most populous state in the Union with 20 million people, it surpassed New Yawk and is closing in on Texas (with 27 million people). However, Texas is about 4 times the size of Florida. This means population density in Florida is 4 times higher than Texas! What this means is that soon people will be living on each others heads

With the population density increasing - there is more and more pressure on the resources. If you moved to Florida for its nature and beauty, well, more people, more asphalt, less nature. 10 years ago you could go to Juno Beach in the middle of the summer in the middle of the working week and be almost by yourself on the beach - the damn snow birds would be gone for the season. Now you do the same thing and the beach is packed even in dead summer heat - people are not leaving anymore, they are staying.

The unincorporated rural area we used to live in near West Palm was considered the "boonies". A few years back they approved two gigantic developments on both sides of it, in total 3-4,000 homes!! Bye-bye boonies...

Heck, we lived 5 miles from a Wildlife management area - about 60,000 acres. You could only get to it via a dirt road and often 4x4 was necessary. Now they are building a shooting range at its entrance and planning to asphalt the road to it. This means EVERYONE and their mother will be there. Not only that but you will be listening to non-stop gunfire while trying to hear the birds. Byy-bye that too....

Florida is also having problems with water quality and water availability. Hard to imagine with all the rainfall no? The Everglades have been raked over with canals and drained all for the benefit of the farming industry - or should I say, big sugar industry? Lake Okeechobee is an environmental disaster that each year sees releases of highly polluted runoff water being released into estuaries and finally the ocean, creating toxic bacterial growth spurts that close beaches. There is no political willingness to solve this even after there was tax payer money apportioned to fix the problem by restoring the natural flow of water south of Lake O.

They recently approved exploratory fracking in Big Cypress preserve! Hello!

Ever heard of the Sabal pipeline? They are putting that one across the state too...

Between widespread political corruption on local and state level, corporate interests (big sugar, FPL, etc.) and influx of people, the state is looking more like a throwaway condom state and less like a place to live. Sorry, but that's the truth.

Every second newcomer I met in SoFla was from Jersey or New Yawk or Massachusetts or... Usually some thug who barely scraped together $500 for gas to get down to West Palm and try their luck working in a restaurant or don't know what. Three months later they are broke, looking for a way to do something shady. Either that or it is a wealthy retiree or second or third home owner/investor, again from the same places.

Thank Henry Flagler for developing the state and bringing all the rude north easterners in. When you start off with the notion of a throwaway party/vacation state, this is what you end up with at the end... Instead of naming streets after Henry and glorifying him, they should be teaching the children in school about the true costs of the vision of a vacation state for the rich and famous....
Very down to earth post. Unfortunately with the NY, NJ & CA losing their SALT deductions I would imagine the population in FL will be growing more. Not sure how much longer the infrastructure will survive without implementation of income tax.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:57 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,190,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartWantsWhatItWants View Post
I spent 10 years in South Florida - I think I was exposed to pretty much everything. Florida used to be a nice place - there were cattle ranches, horse ranches etc. etc. all over the state. However, most of those sold off for developments. You know, trees don't grow to the sky - you cannot have an infinite amount of people coming into the state and the state still remain the same. If you believe that this is possible, well, you are deluding yourself.

SoFla is a zoo with not much of career opportunities. Middle class in SoFla is thin, you either own the lawn or you mow the lawn. If you try going north away from the towns, you end up surrounded by the camo wearing crowd, dogs running loose, a**holes spinning their ATVs on the dirt roads etc. etc. There may be a few nice places left but as the population is growing daily there - Florida is now ranked #3 most populous state in the Union with 20 million people, it surpassed New Yawk and is closing in on Texas (with 27 million people). However, Texas is about 4 times the size of Florida. This means population density in Florida is 4 times higher than Texas! What this means is that soon people will be living on each others heads

With the population density increasing - there is more and more pressure on the resources. If you moved to Florida for its nature and beauty, well, more people, more asphalt, less nature. 10 years ago you could go to Juno Beach in the middle of the summer in the middle of the working week and be almost by yourself on the beach - the damn snow birds would be gone for the season. Now you do the same thing and the beach is packed even in dead summer heat - people are not leaving anymore, they are staying.

The unincorporated rural area we used to live in near West Palm was considered the "boonies". A few years back they approved two gigantic developments on both sides of it, in total 3-4,000 homes!! Bye-bye boonies...

Heck, we lived 5 miles from a Wildlife management area - about 60,000 acres. You could only get to it via a dirt road and often 4x4 was necessary. Now they are building a shooting range at its entrance and planning to asphalt the road to it. This means EVERYONE and their mother will be there. Not only that but you will be listening to non-stop gunfire while trying to hear the birds. Byy-bye that too....

Florida is also having problems with water quality and water availability. Hard to imagine with all the rainfall no? The Everglades have been raked over with canals and drained all for the benefit of the farming industry - or should I say, big sugar industry? Lake Okeechobee is an environmental disaster that each year sees releases of highly polluted runoff water being released into estuaries and finally the ocean, creating toxic bacterial growth spurts that close beaches. There is no political willingness to solve this even after there was tax payer money apportioned to fix the problem by restoring the natural flow of water south of Lake O.

They recently approved exploratory fracking in Big Cypress preserve! Hello!

Ever heard of the Sabal pipeline? They are putting that one across the state too...

Between widespread political corruption on local and state level, corporate interests (big sugar, FPL, etc.) and influx of people, the state is looking more like a throwaway condom state and less like a place to live. Sorry, but that's the truth.

Every second newcomer I met in SoFla was from Jersey or New Yawk or Massachusetts or... Usually some thug who barely scraped together $500 for gas to get down to West Palm and try their luck working in a restaurant or don't know what. Three months later they are broke, looking for a way to do something shady. Either that or it is a wealthy retiree or second or third home owner/investor, again from the same places.

Thank Henry Flagler for developing the state and bringing all the rude north easterners in. When you start off with the notion of a throwaway party/vacation state, this is what you end up with at the end... Instead of naming streets after Henry and glorifying him, they should be teaching the children in school about the true costs of the vision of a vacation state for the rich and famous....
So you lived near Corbett?

Love to hike there, but the best hiking time is unfortunately during hunting season.

Now they’re taking away the remaining peace.

Almost moved to south central Virginia about ten years ago but was worried about the culture. I had looked at Burkeville, Victoria , Blacksburg I think it was. Iirc Lunenberg County.

I was told by a few people that the people/culture in the rural areas of Central Florida Ivebeen looking at would eventually drive me nuts.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:17 AM

7,339 posts, read 16,639,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I don't believe many of these people are "bashing FL," not everyone is happy with living there. I have spent many winters in FL and personally would not choose to live there all year. I am not "bashing" your state only, like others expressing a different opinion than yours.
Totally agree with this posting! Once we move, that will be the end for us with Florida, the East Coast and the South.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:00 PM

17 posts, read 15,475 times
Yes. My husband and I moved here from Long Island, NY four months ago and we love it here. We retired to Windermere and are thrilled to be here! We don’t miss the cold winters, the high cost of living, which included super high real estate taxes, very expensive flood insurance, ridiculous homeowners insurance, high auto insurance, not to mention the high cost of housing. Everything here is much cheaper, the people are much more polite and friendlier, the warmer weather is fabulous, we love the cleaner air, beautiful roadways, less congestion, cleaner stores, gorgeous lakes, and living close to Walt Disney World.

We have been visiting Florida since 1973 and decided years ago that we wanted to live here permanently once we retired. There is much more to enjoy here, especially outside during the winter months compared to New York. We love that flowers grow outside all year and love seeing the palm trees.

We don’t miss the seasons, and can get used to having pretty nice weather all year. We have spent many summer vacations here and don’t mind the heat and humidity. In fact, the older we get the more we prefer the heat to the cold. Don’t miss shoveling snow or scraping ice off our car windshields either. We don’t miss New York and love it here so much we don’t plan on moving back.

We do have some family and friends who have moved from New York years ago, and they are all very happy living here as well.

We are transplanted New Yorkers who don’t regret moving to Florida. We just wished we were able to do it much sooner.

We know Florida isn’t for everyone but it is perfect for us.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:42 AM

231 posts, read 86,950 times
There are both good and bad living in Florida. We moved from up north to Florida almost 8 years ago and have had both highs and lows.

Highs would be the weather, attractions, access to any beach you want, reasonable COLA, a ton of things to do any direction you go.

Lows would be the aggressive attitude of people who live here, not bashing Florida at all but we run into someone who is nasty, aggressive or just plain hateful almost daily. The road rage is really bad with the attitudes.

We live in a very nice gated community and no one comes out of the house. All are from every area in the USA and these people other then working do not use their pools, dont BBQ or speak to each other much if at all.

If you love year around warm weather, access to attractions, beaches and never ending things to do then Florida might be your place. Only if you can put aside the rude people with major attitudes.

The other low is sense of community, everyone is from everywhere else and we find there is little to no sense of community.

This is "not" a bashing post, tons of positives with a few negatives.

Location, location, location is key. Do not move here unless you visit multiple areas you might desire.

We know a couple from up north who did not listen to us and bought a house in Kissimmee to be close to Disney and they found out not a good move at all. A ton of drugs and crime.

For those who moved here and do not like it why just bash it constantly? Why not move and go on. We do not believe it will be out final landing place but I wont sit here and daily bash the state as it has given us tons of awesome memories.

One more thing--- Do not buy first, rent a house for a year. Save yourself a headache.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:36 AM

17,536 posts, read 10,614,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark59 View Post
There are both good and bad living in Florida. We moved from up north to Florida almost 8 years ago and have had both highs and lows.

Highs would be the weather, attractions, access to any beach you want, reasonable COLA, a ton of things to do any direction you go.

Lows would be the aggressive attitude of people who live here, not bashing Florida at all but we run into someone who is nasty, aggressive or just plain hateful almost daily. The road rage is really bad with the attitudes.

We live in a very nice gated community and no one comes out of the house. All are from every area in the USA and these people other then working do not use their pools, dont BBQ or speak to each other much if at all.

If you love year around warm weather, access to attractions, beaches and never ending things to do then Florida might be your place. Only if you can put aside the rude people with major attitudes.

The other low is sense of community, everyone is from everywhere else and we find there is little to no sense of community.

Location, location, location is key. Do not move here unless you visit multiple areas you might desire.

We know a couple from up north who did not listen to us and bought a house in Kissimmee to be close to Disney and they found out not a good move at all. A ton of drugs and crime.

For those who moved here and do not like it why just bash it constantly? Why not move and go on. We do not believe it will be out final landing place but I wont sit here and daily bash the state as it has given us tons of awesome memories.

One more thing--- Do not buy first, rent a house for a year. Save yourself a headache.
Setting aside the city names, what you say above in general applies to every State. No State is perfect and I have lived in 7 different States (CA,ID,IN,NC,NV,TN,TX) and FL will be my 8th and probably last State. There were good and bad in each State. FL has what some people want and what others do not want. It is a personal choice. That choice should be made with intelligence not just a desire for some particular aspect of FL, like beaches.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:40 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 2,072,412 times
We rented for 4 years in a gated HOA. We found the same where people didn't socialize and stayed in their houses.

We bought a lot and built our house in a non HOA and have been here a year. We've become friends with neighbors and have met some very nice people in our walks around the neighborhood.

In fact, we talked to more people in the neighborhood while our house was being built than we did the whole time we were in the gated community.

Love it here.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:51 AM

7,339 posts, read 16,639,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark59 View Post

As the old saying continues........"Florida isn't for everyone" For those that love it here, great. For those that don't and decide to move out, they shouldn't be bashed because they don't like it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or