U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 11:00 AM

231 posts, read 87,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Setting aside the city names, what you say above in general applies to every State. No State is perfect and I have lived in 7 different States (CA,ID,IN,NC,NV,TN,TX) and FL will be my 8th and probably last State. There were good and bad in each State. FL has what some people want and what others do not want. It is a personal choice. That choice should be made with intelligence not just a desire for some particular aspect of FL, like beaches.
Yes every state has them.

Florida offers people choices which includes are variety of "type" of beaches and some of the best beaches in the US. Any choice beaches, housing, crime, schools, likes or dislikes should be made with intelligent decisions.

What you will find is people will gravitate to places they either want to be close to or have been to before.
For us Disney, Universal, the weather and the beaches were at the top of the list along with schools, crime, cleanliness etc.

Anyone moving here cannot and should not just jump to want to come here and live. A lot of research, visiting the areas and making an intelligent choice when you do decide to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 11:02 AM

231 posts, read 87,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
We rented for 4 years in a gated HOA. We found the same where people didn't socialize and stayed in their houses.

We bought a lot and built our house in a non HOA and have been here a year. We've become friends with neighbors and have met some very nice people in our walks around the neighborhood.

In fact, we talked to more people in the neighborhood while our house was being built than we did the whole time we were in the gated community.

Love it here.
Awesome Robino.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:41 PM

17,583 posts, read 10,646,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
We rented for 4 years in a gated HOA. We found the same where people didn't socialize and stayed in their houses.

We bought a lot and built our house in a non HOA and have been here a year. We've become friends with neighbors and have met some very nice people in our walks around the neighborhood.

In fact, we talked to more people in the neighborhood while our house was being built than we did the whole time we were in the gated community.

Love it here.
This is not uncommon. Many people (Not all) in gated communities want to be left alone. Those in non gated look for neighbors to know.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:34 PM

4 posts, read 3,025 times
I regret it. We moved from the suburban New York area to South Florida because both my family and my wife's family ended up retiring here. Family is important to us and we didn't want to be so far away from our parents as they aged. We also enjoy that our kids can see their grandparents often and that our parents can have their grandkids in their lives.

The trade offs are huge, though. The opportunities for professionals (law, finance, etc.) are pretty dismal down here. There are far fewer good jobs. It seems like most people just work in retail or customer service.

The schools are largely terrible.

We've made some good friends, but we encounter more "dense" people here. Probably goes hand in hand with the bad schools and jobs.

Finally, I hate the weather. I sweat all the time and prefer cooler temperatures.

Really in a bind, though. We don't want to abandon our parents in their old age.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink800 View Post
I regret it. We moved from the suburban New York area to South Florida because both my family and my wife's family ended up retiring here. Family is important to us and we didn't want to be so far away from our parents as they aged. We also enjoy that our kids can see their grandparents often and that our parents can have their grandkids in their lives.

The trade offs are huge, though. The opportunities for professionals (law, finance, etc.) are pretty dismal down here. There are far fewer good jobs. It seems like most people just work in retail or customer service.

The schools are largely terrible.

We've made some good friends, but we encounter more "dense" people here. Probably goes hand in hand with the bad schools and jobs.

Finally, I hate the weather. I sweat all the time and prefer cooler temperatures.

Really in a bind, though. We don't want to abandon our parents in their old age.
Do the best you can because one day your parents will be gone and then if you have made a few vacation trips with the kids you will be able to see where you want to move to. Of course your kids may be grown by then, but my wife and I did this while caring for my mom until she died and it helped make the move when it was time. We have spent 2 years all over FL deciding where to move after I saw I needed the better air quality of being by the beach.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:07 PM

3,216 posts, read 1,646,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
This is not uncommon. Many people (Not all) in gated communities want to be left alone. Those in non gated look for neighbors to know.
I don't think gated or non gated has anything to do with people's friendliness. You are taking a limited sample and generalizing about communities. We live in a gated community and the neighbors are super nice and friendly. I lived in a non gated and our neighbors were awful.

As far as making the move from up North, it was THE best thing I ever did. My only regret is not doing it sooner. I don't miss the cold depressing grey skies, bare trees, snow and ice. For those moving here and not liking it, you are entitled to your opinions and no one is forcing people to move here. If everything was equal (always tradeoffs) the sunshine, beaches and palm trees make things here a lot more bearable. My level of depression is a fraction of what it was up North.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:16 AM

7,340 posts, read 16,653,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I don't think gated or non gated has anything to do with people's friendliness. You are taking a limited sample and generalizing about communities. We live in a gated community and the neighbors are super nice and friendly. I lived in a non gated and our neighbors were awful.

As far as making the move from up North, it was THE best thing I ever did. My only regret is not doing it sooner. I don't miss the cold depressing grey skies, bare trees, snow and ice. For those moving here and not liking it, you are entitled to your opinions and no one is forcing people to move here. If everything was equal (always tradeoffs) the sunshine, beaches and palm trees make things here a lot more bearable. My level of depression is a fraction of what it was up North.
Thing is, like we a neighbor of ours, she had to take a job transfer to here or be in the unemployment line in Portland, Oregon. All of her family is in Portland and she has to fly there to see them. She told us, "I would have never thought about moving to anywhere in Florida, but taking the transfer and a little higher pay, was better than standing in the unemployment line.

There are folks that leave So California, who have never lived in the snow (and done snow ski either) and moved to Denver, Colorado. Lifestyle is slower in Denver and COL is (supposedly) cheaper, BUT, when it comes to winter and snow/ice............some of these people get shocked and complain about it. There are even some that move back to So California.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:17 PM

2,512 posts, read 1,336,635 times
Did anyone who came from the north to FL have a ragweed allergy? If so, how do you fare in Florida?

I am sick as a dog from August to November here in NJ

Old 02-16-2018, 10:55 AM

81 posts, read 28,501 times
I just found this board last week. I must say, this is a very informative 27 page thread. I read all the way through and have really enjoyed reading all of the opinions, stories, rants, etc.

Just curious if anyone here sent their kids to college in Florida as an out of state student? The tuition seems very reasonable. We live in the Philly suburbs and my kids could go to school in Florida as out of state students for about what we would pay here as a resident. I know USF has very good reviews as does UCF. My oldest in only in 10th grade, but has his mind made up that he wants to go to school in Florida. We'll need to start thinking more seriously about this next year. We all hate the cold winter weather here and would like to be in a warmer place. However, I need to work about 5 more years before making any permanent move.

One area of concern I have about Florida is the job situation. I have done a lot of research and one of the biggest complaints seems to be a lack of well paying jobs. My kids haven't yet formed an idea of what they will want to major in, but I want them to have opportunities to succeed when their education is complete. I'm just wondering if anyone here has young adult children in Florida that have completed their education and are now working or looking for employment. What has their experience been? Is it as bad as I have heard? I understand Florida is a big state and the larger cities provide more opportunities.

We were recently in Florida during the Christmas break and spent a little time on both coasts. We really liked the Ormond Beach area as well as parts of the Space Coast. We still have some other areas we'd like to investigate, like St. Augustine and west coast areas like Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte, but so far have our sites on Ormond Beach.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post

I agree that it cannot apply to every gated community, I am just speaking from my own experience.

I am moving this year to FL for some of the same reasons you are. Mind you currently I live in E. TN, but it too has problems for me that FL will fix (health). I have lived all over the US and have found that if you want friends, be friendly. OH, not into a gated community and yes the people are friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or