U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 03:13 PM

3,926 posts, read 4,744,170 times

Advertisements

The Florida Senate has voted to exclude foreign laws, including Sharia laws, from inclusion in Florida courts. Vote still to happen in Florida House. Interestingly enough, all Democrats voted against this law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 03:21 PM

5,556 posts, read 5,025,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
The Florida Senate has voted to exclude foreign laws, including Sharia laws, from inclusion in Florida courts. Vote still to happen in Florida House. Interestingly enough, all Democrats voted against this law.

Thanks for the heads-up. Completely pathetic that it has had to come to this. In our own country. I do not recognize the laws of foreign countries in the US. Abroad, yes. Here, no. To Hades with globalization.

FWIW, many foreigners in the US do not recognize our laws, as evidenced by the illegal immigration problem.

Laws? We don't need no steenkin' laws.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:33 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,155,612 times
I have read nothing about this, but this may have something to do with contracts and other agreements which may have a law selection section where it may be possible to select the laws of another country for your contract. Well now if is passes Florida you can't. That is the practical implication of this.

"The bill would restrict courts and arbitration tribunals from applying foreign law and legal codes to matters of divorce, alimony, division of marital assets, child support and child custody."

Florida Senate OKs bill banning use of foreign law in family... | www.palmbeachpost.com

Old 04-30-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I have read nothing about this, but this may have something to do with contracts and other agreements which may have a law selection section where it may be possible to select the laws of another country for your contract. Well now if is passes Florida you can't. That is the practical implication of this.

"The bill would restrict courts and arbitration tribunals from applying foreign law and legal codes to matters of divorce, alimony, division of marital assets, child support and child custody."

Florida Senate OKs bill banning use of foreign law in family... | www.palmbeachpost.com
Hmm. There may be some freedom of religion issues here, but then again, supposedly we separate church and state. Supposedly.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:28 AM

21,114 posts, read 30,196,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Hmm. There may be some freedom of religion issues here, but then again, supposedly we separate church and state. Supposedly.
LOL, isn't the hypocrisy astounding?

Old 05-03-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
LOL, isn't the hypocrisy astounding?
Grrr, don't get me started. I'm a firm believer in the separation of church and state. And I am not an anti-religionist. However, when a religious organization crosses the line and accepts money from the taxpayer via the Federal Government, for subsidies or whatever, they should forfeit any claim to religious privileges under the law, IMO. Including tax exemption.

As I understand it, both the Catholic and Lutheran Churches (and there may be others, but those are the two that I've heard of) accept considerable money from the Federal Government as "subcontractors" to re-settle refugees from other countries in the US. They do this through their "charity" organizations. What a racket. They take the money to bring them here and then dump them on the community in which they choose to re-settle the refugees, leaving the taxpayer to deal with the fallout in terms of education, housing, jobs, crime, etc. Disgusting.

And then they whine and get all outraged if they have to follow federal law in terms of matters like insurance, birth control, pay, etc. Yeah, separation of church and state apparently doesn't apply when the money is flowing from the state to the religious organization.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:33 PM

2,104 posts, read 2,069,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Grrr, don't get me started. I'm a firm believer in the separation of church and state. And I am not an anti-religionist. However, when a religious organization crosses the line and accepts money from the taxpayer via the Federal Government, for subsidies or whatever, they should forfeit any claim to religious privileges under the law, IMO. Including tax exemption.

As I understand it, both the Catholic and Lutheran Churches (and there may be others, but those are the two that I've heard of) accept considerable money from the Federal Government as "subcontractors" to re-settle refugees from other countries in the US. They do this through their "charity" organizations. What a racket. They take the money to bring them here and then dump them on the community in which they choose to re-settle the refugees, leaving the taxpayer to deal with the fallout in terms of education, housing, jobs, crime, etc. Disgusting.

And then they whine and get all outraged if they have to follow federal law in terms of matters like insurance, birth control, pay, etc. Yeah, separation of church and state apparently doesn't apply when the money is flowing from the state to the religious organization.
And don't forget about political activism. If they're going to get into politics, they should also have to forfeit the tax exempt status.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:34 PM

2,104 posts, read 2,069,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
What a waste of time and money. The politicians have nothing better to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida