Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 04:21 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,821,305 times

Advertisements

Update: 70% polled say FL has more weird crimes than other states, Spring Hillian. And I also set up the "NC/SC friendliness... real or fake?" poll on the General Forum, and that also came back as yes, its genuine, roughly 70% on that poll as well. So I think I may be on to something.

Again, born n raised here, its ok to admit FL's faults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 04:57 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,010,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Update: 70% polled say FL has more weird crimes than other states, Spring Hillian. And I also set up the "NC/SC friendliness... real or fake?" poll on the General Forum, and that also came back as yes, its genuine, roughly 70% on that poll as well. So I think I may be on to something.

Again, born n raised here, its ok to admit FL's faults.

I think FL has better publicity in the weird news department over all. The population of both NC and SC do not equal FL either. Again, the equation. More people, more crime. Not saying the friendliness is fake up there but that it is quickly withdrawn if the wind blows in another direction. I look at it this way.
They wont watch your back unless you are one of them. Native that is. Otherwise, when the chips are down, you're on your own. I had some friends who moved from FL to Manning, SC about 15 years ago.
They said it was a lot different people wise. The locals didnt trust them or interact with them for a few years. There werent any "welcome wagons" knocking on the door.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:34 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,346,686 times
South Carolina isn't that special compared to Florida:

2012 violent crime rates:
Florida - 487 violent crimes per 100,000 residents
South Carolina - 556 violent crimes per 100,000 residents

2012 murder rates:
Florida - 5.2 murders per 100,000 residents
South Carolina - 6.9 murders per 100,000 residents

Old 05-12-2014, 11:33 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,636,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Florida gets a lot of attention due to its popularity as a destination state. California used to get all the attention back in the 60's.
I hate to break it to you, but no one and--I repeat--no one in California, Texas, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Colorado remotely cares about Florida or what goes on in Florida.

The only people who are even remotely interested in the bizarre things that happen in Florida are Long Islanders, Staten Islanders, and Rhode Islanders.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:06 AM

26,817 posts, read 43,286,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I hate to break it to you, but no one and--I repeat--no one in California, Texas, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Colorado remotely cares about Florida or what goes on in Florida.
And the same goes for Floridians in regard to caring about what goes in those states, though I have to ask since allegedly "no one remotely cares".....why are they talking smack on a Florida Forum thread?

Old 05-13-2014, 07:24 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,010,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post

The only people who are even remotely interested in the bizarre things that happen in Florida are Long Islanders, Staten Islanders, and Rhode Islanders.

Have you polled people in those states to determine what they care about or not?

How about Brooklynites, Broxites, Queens residents and manhattan residents, do they count in your opinion?

Old 05-13-2014, 10:33 AM

14,799 posts, read 11,940,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
And the same goes for Floridians in regard to caring about what goes in those states, though I have to ask since allegedly "no one remotely cares".....why are they talking smack on a Florida Forum thread?
Nothing better to do?

Old 05-13-2014, 10:48 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,358,289 times
Spring Hillian said:
"i know a couple on SSDI and the cost of living in Westchester County NY is eating up those payments due to their rent, food costs, electricity costs. They live a very meager life. Their benefits would not change by relocating as SSDI is based on your lifetime earnings and is not adjusted by locale"

I think you are confusing SSDI and SSI (Social Security). SSDI is welfare and isn't based on earnings; SSI is what retirees or disabled or dependents of deceased get and it's based on earnings

Old 05-13-2014, 10:51 AM

9,002 posts, read 10,130,191 times
Seems that I meet a lot of people who don't take Florida seriously.....they've taken a trip or 2 there & they're good.
They had their fill.
From what I've heard, it's nothing but tourists (ugh)
it's insanely hot (yuck) & it's filled with really bad drivers.....
Plus my lifelong friend told me it's "skanky"

Lol I thought I was going to
go work there
(I can easily cash in there) but recently I've met people who have said the quality of living in Florida sucks...
They're steering me to California
or trying to

Old 05-13-2014, 01:08 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,636,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Seems that I meet a lot of people who don't take Florida seriously.....they've taken a trip or 2 there & they're good.
They had their fill.
From what I've heard, it's nothing but tourists (ugh)
it's insanely hot (yuck) & it's filled with really bad drivers.....
Plus my lifelong friend told me it's "skanky"

Lol I thought I was going to
go work there
(I can easily cash in there) but recently I've met people who have said the quality of living in Florida sucks...
They're steering me to California
or trying to
You'd be foolish to move to FL over CA, as QOL in CA is vastly superior to that of FL.

FL has a long history of attracting shady transients from the world over. Lots of people in Florida seem to be running from something (i.e., their past, their family, etc.).

Also, FL has way fewer young singles and young families--it's mostly retirees, working-class kids from up North w/ no direction/money/goals, and homegrown meth-heads/rednecks/thugs.

OTOH, CA mostly attracts intellectuals, professionals, et al. who move there for the plethora of opportunities CA provides, whether professional, educational, recreational, or a combination of all three.

Maybe many years ago when CA was still inexpensive, comparatively speaking, it attracted the same type of person Florida attracts now, but the very high COL in CA largely keeps the riffraff out and forces the homegrown riffraff to flee, mostly to Nevada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida