U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 07:22 AM

8,964 posts, read 6,214,419 times

Advertisements

Perception of FL - through the eyes of a few natives and long-term residents...

Thought I'd share this conversation I had yesterday... with 2 co-workers... there were only 3 of us, but what we had in common was that all 3 of us had either lived in FL for a long time or we were born here.

I'm not even sure how the convo got started- anyhow, we got to talking, and both of the other guys I was speaking with were looking to leave FL at some point. And their biggest reason wasn't the summer heat, it wasn't the economy, and it wasn't the bugs. It was the people. When talking with these 2 guys (whom I never really speak to about things other than work and sports), they were saying the EXACT same things I've seen on City-Data. They metioned some VERY common things and themes discussed here. They are not a fan of how the state has turned into a melting pot of unhappy people, people that couldn't make it in the other 49 states, the people that want to "hide" or "get away" or are "running from something."

They mentioned the angry nature of people, especially when driving. The road rage and even things they've seen firsthand make them nervous. They have sen these things up close and personal. One guy multiple times. They used the words describing many ppl in FL as "nut jobs", "crazy" and "violent"... They said another thing I've seen a few times on C-D... "why does FL get the ppl you dont want living here, and the people that we want to stay, move away?" Another comment was, "the idiots stay and the ones that are smart, move away."

I just thought I'd share this conversation a small group of us had yesterday- again it was just odd how the same things were said in that convo that are said here on this msg board. I think there's definitely some truth to it, to those who defend the state and say FL is no different. I do think FL has a larger share of...... whatever it is you want to call it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 07:56 AM

2,103 posts, read 2,069,493 times
I think a lot has to do with what stage in life you're at. What I've learned from the C-D board is if you're dependent on an employer for a paycheck and/or have kids in school, Fl may not be the place to be. The wages are lower than other parts of the country and the lower COL doesn't make up for that. The reason Fl attracts the crowd trying to "run away" or escape from something is obviously the weather.

If you're close to retirement or retired, it might be a very nice place to live, as long as you don't have to continue to work. We bought a house and came down this winter for the first year. I'm close to retirement, but not yet retired. I figure in about 5 years, we'll have to pick between Fl or NJ.

Having lived in NY and still have a house in NJ, the northeast is no picnic. While the wages are higher, so is the COL. Try high state income tax and property taxes that would choke a horse ($12K-$18K). Add to that the congestion. I laugh when people complain about the snowbirds making the roads so congested in SWFL. Then you have that wonderful weather. From Nov through Mar and sometimes through Apr (as was the case this year) it's cold and you get snow.

So do you go to Texas, Arizona, CA? Based on C-D data, the job situation is better in those states, but they all have their own problems.

Post a reply and let us know where you'd go and why?

Old 05-03-2014, 08:03 AM

Most people are moving from FL to the Carolina's and Georgia, to answer your question, macrodome2.

I can answer that one for you. And the reason for that is mainly Floridians unhappy with changes that have gone on over the yrs, to get a better quality of life, lower cost of living, tired of the heat and humidity, tired of the traffic and congestion, the people and crime, etc.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:20 AM

4,224 posts, read 5,676,244 times
I agree there seems to be more aggression now than when I was a teenager (70s) but I don't know whether that's a Florida thing or a total mutation of human behavior and a sign of modern living, but having an economic model mostly comprised of cramming more and more people into a finite space (which is a Florida thing) isn't helping.

Florida has always been a do-over state for a large percentage of people moving here, and I'm indifferent to that notion, but I see your point about the types of people it can attract (I try to take folks as individuals, though).

All my friends I grew up with have left Florida for a variety of reasons and none have mentioned to me they'd ever return permanently. I stayed because of a combination of family, job and laziness, but I'll leave too in a couple of years.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:23 AM

2,103 posts, read 2,069,493 times
I worked with a guy from NC. He said there were a lot of "half backs" moving to NC. He asked me if I knew what a "half back" was, and I said ,"no". He said it was someone from the northeast that moved to Fl and hated it, but didn't want to go all the way back to the cold, so they settled in NC and they call them "half backs". He was one of them having come from Philadelphia, moved to Fl and ended up in NC.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:25 AM

^^^ Yup, there are some of those there too. They seem to all relocate to some of the same areas. Cary, NC is one that really comes to mind.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
I agree there seems to be more aggression now than when I was a teenager (70s) but I don't know whether that's a Florida thing or a total mutation of human behavior and a sign of modern living, but having an economic model mostly comprised of cramming more and more people into a finite space (which is a Florida thing) isn't helping.

Florida has always been a do-over state for a large percentage of people moving here, and I'm indifferent to that notion, but I see your point about the types of people it can attract (I try to take folks as individuals, though).

All my friends I grew up with have left Florida for a variety of reasons and none have mentioned to me they'd ever return permanently. I stayed because of a combination of family, job and laziness, but I'll leave too in a couple of years.

Agreed; I do the same.

I'm here for some family being here, and a great job.

But I'd like (at least I think) to move to Greenville SC down the road... I just think it's a better place to raise a family and live. Now convincing my wife to move back to that area, that'll be tough.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:32 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,779,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
^^^ Yup, there are some of those there too. They seem to all relocate to some of the same areas. Cary, NC is one that really comes to mind.
Cary

Containment

Area

for

Relocated

Yankees

Old 05-03-2014, 08:33 AM

8,751 posts, read 10,772,654 times
Rather than waiting to retire and move to Florida, we made the move almost 42-years ago from much colder Midwest climate. We brought good jobs with us and have never looked back or regretted the move.

We've lived in four different Florida cities and loved every one (Tampa, Kissimmee, Melbourne, Destin), although, our current location in the Panhandle (Destin) is a little cooler and more congested than we like. However, we are now retired and though still 'living the Florida lifestyle,' we find that being closer to family and grandkids has become more important than living directly on the ocean.

---- Like most places, Florida is whatever one makes it ... and one's perceptions generally follow!

Old 05-03-2014, 08:34 AM

21,112 posts, read 30,189,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Most people are moving from FL to the Carolina's and Georgia, to answer your question, macrodome2.

I can answer that one for you. And the reason for that is mainly Floridians unhappy with changes that have gone on over the yrs, to get a better quality of life, lower cost of living, tired of the heat and humidity, tired of the traffic and congestion, the people and crime, etc.
Having grown up in Florida and living here off/on (now back) I have witnessed the entire phenomenon which seems to have morphed from a "move out of South Florida" trend where Central Florida and the Tampa Bay area saw heavy population growth from that and are now witnessing a similar "move out of Central Florida" trend among many locals who have seen what was once nice/manageable no longer the case overall. I had initially though that the Jacksonville metro might be the next trend but as evidenced by the number of Floridians moving into Georgia and the Carolinas guess that many thought just getting out was best and not that much further than Northern Florida in terms of climate yet with a completely different feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or