U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 09:26 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,346,480 times

Advertisements

I don`t know why people sit here and complain soo much, if Florida is that bad then pack up and move.

The notion that the cold weather feels more like the holidays is subjective, for someone in south America hot feels like the holidays to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 11:22 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,796,698 times
Remember, we get our best weather when the days are the shortest. Get out of work at 5 and its dark when you get home. Further north they get longer days at these temps at other times of the year. It's extremely depressing to be sweating it out from April-November. By the way what is worse, an ice storm or blizzard, or a hurricane?

Old 12-10-2007, 11:27 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,403,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
I don`t know why people sit here and complain soo much, if Florida is that bad then pack up and move.

The notion that the cold weather feels more like the holidays is subjective, for someone in south America hot feels like the holidays to them.
The worst part is what did they expect? Florida gets hot, have they been living on another planet or something or are they that GD stupid. They come to a place that for all recorded history is hot, then complain, it's hot. What is wrong with them?

Old 12-10-2007, 11:29 PM

1,259 posts, read 3,276,854 times
I'm one of those Floridians who once May comes around starts thinking of a way for somebody to "ZONK" me out or to go into some sort of summer hibernation until at least October,I can't stand the summer down here!!!!As far as cold weather climates,if it's a place that's cold but also gets a lot of sunshine I have no problem with it.For example,I was in Lake Tahoe and it was like 20 degrees without a cloud in the sky and super bright sun,sure at night it got pretty cold that I was freezing walking down the street to a supermarket,but i loved being able to wear a jacket since I only do maybe a handful of times all year in Florida.Right now it got up to 83 Dec.10th and all summer December is one of the months I look forward to for some cooler weather and while 83 and lows around 70 are not too bad,I would prefer a high of 70 with a low around 50.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:44 PM

711 posts, read 1,629,473 times
If you want near-perfect weather go to California, especially San Diego and Santa Monica. Low humidity all year but not bone-sucking dry like Las Vegas or Phoenix. It doesn't get much above 75 or below 55. A horrible existence, I know. The 4 seasons crowd would hate it.

Silicon Valley has 70/50 weather this time of year. In the summer they suffer 80/60 weather with no rain.

The combination of $600k plus average house prices (more near the coast and the SF Bay Area), 9.3% state income tax and 8+% sales tax makes whining about the cost of living in Florida seem misguided. California slaps you about a lot harder.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:57 AM

1,572 posts, read 3,684,319 times
Florida has OK weather, at least in Central Florida. North Florida probably has better weather. I lived in Alabama a year and a half as a kid and the weather there seemed just about perfect- you had four seasons but it hardly snowed.

One thing you can do in Florida that you can't do year round up north: ride a motorcycle (this is true of most Sunbelt states, as well as the west coast all the way up to Washington). The only times this becomes challenging is in the height of summer when we get heavy rains and the heat is a bit oppressive. Because of the wind chill factor, 85-95 degrees doesn't feel the same on a motorcycle, it is about 15-25 degrees cooler. The only problem is if you get stuck in traffic you start getting hot, and if you have an air-cooled engine then you are just miserable.

Other than that, the summer heat and humidity is a bit oppressive, and I tend to structure my days so that I'm not going out in the heat of the day if I can avoid it.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:44 AM

4,343 posts, read 6,054,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I understood your point, I just didn't understand why a new thread about the weather had to be started since you already stated the same exact thread earlier.

Each area of the country has different weather. Some areas have cold weather, some hot, some a mixture. If the weather is your biggest determining factor on where you live, move accordingly.

If you can't move then there is nothing you can do about the weather.

I hate the cold, I left New York because of it.

I have no problem with people voicing their distaste for an area but after the 5,456,332nd thread about how hot Florida is, it gets old. If there is anyone that did not know Florida gets hot then they need to go back to school.
Perfect!!!

Old 12-11-2007, 04:50 AM

10,732 posts, read 31,781,541 times
I don't want to dress appropriatly so I can do things outside in winter slush and snow.

I like the summers in Florida AND I like it that the weather is like this IN THE WINTER TIME.

No one is suggesting that everyone has to like the weather as it is here in Florida, if you don't like, can't bear it, don't want to deal with it, then MOVE. Why stay somewhere you are unhappy?

Old 12-11-2007, 05:36 AM

2,305 posts, read 2,696,384 times
It seems to me back in the 70's people did not complain so much. What happened, did Americans get so spoiled they want everything perfect. Head to Oklahoma and help clean up after the ice storms.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:47 AM

800 posts, read 2,810,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
It actually seems like way more people hate the weather than like the weather if this forum means anything. Florida is useless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Members, if you don't understand the question ask for clarification so YOU are clear. If you make sarcastic comments, understand that no one else knows if your post is sarcastic or just don't post.

Thank you
I also took this post exactly as you did, Sunrico. I was going to answer as you did but decided against it.

You make a good point about asking for clarity. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida