U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 09:55 AM

548 posts, read 389,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major League View Post
I agree with the OP, and thanks for bringing that to my attention, I honestly never thought about that. I do brag about or months of Nov - March, but if I think about it, ppl in more of the northern states experience days in the 70's for a longer period of time, and if you like the hot, it gets hot in the summer, and if you like the cold, it certainly gets cold up there too!
I lived up north for 30 years, and there are NOT more 70 degree days in a row. In fact, there is the potential for freezing temperatures parts or all of October, November, December, Jan, Feb, March, and April.

May, June and Sept. are nice. July and August are just as hot and humid as Florida.

I lived there, I know the truth. You get maybe 3 nice months of great weather.

Where we live in Florida 1/2 October, November, December, Jan, Feb, March, April, and 1/2 of May are amazing.

7 months of great weather vs 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 10:23 AM

123 posts, read 96,810 times
I was actually thinking more along the lines of states like SC, NC, VA... I could not live up north. I should have been more specific in my post.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:30 AM

68 posts, read 228,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major League View Post
Where you headed? I would assume Michigan by your name. LOL.
Sort of would like to move half way back . We are originally from Michigan . Looking more towards Tennessee now .

Old 12-11-2007, 12:03 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,413,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFlorida View Post
I lived up north for 30 years, and there are NOT more 70 degree days in a row. In fact, there is the potential for freezing temperatures parts or all of October, November, December, Jan, Feb, March, and April.

May, June and Sept. are nice. July and August are just as hot and humid as Florida.

Where we live in Florida 1/2 October, November, December, Jan, Feb, March, April, and 1/2 of May are amazing.

"I THINK" maybe it has to do with the fact that certain areas of FL face very high temps, humidity & heat indexes for weeks on end & there is never a break from it.

We lived in SWFL, so I can only vouch for that area, but from late May to late Oct every day is in the 90s with 65% or more humidity & heat indexes well over the 100s almost every day from June-Sept.

In "certain areas" of the north & midwest, there are horrible ice storms, snow, wind chill, temps, etc. But there will days of 40s & 50s then weeks of 20s & 30s then back to a week of 40s & 50s.

No one is shoveling snow every day from Oct to April or are there ice storms or snow every day for 5 months. I was born & raised in the north. Some people greatly exaggerate winter. The "bad weather" does not last every single day for 5 months. It was well above 90 every single day this summer in Punta Gorda with weeks of heat indexes in the 100s.

Florida weather is just what it is. Some can tolerate it; others can't. My family & I prefer a climate that is found in the midwest & north. Other people prefer subtropical climates.

Life is more interesting when people are different

Old 12-11-2007, 12:35 PM

123 posts, read 96,810 times
Yes, I agree. The constant heat and humidity w/o relief is what I was getting at.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:07 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,736,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Members, if you don't understand the question ask for clarification so YOU are clear. If you make sarcastic comments, understand that no one else knows if your post is sarcastic or just don't post.

Thank you
Your right, sarcasm is easily misinterperted because I just got another misinterpreted negative rep that reads this.
Quote:
Calling the whole state useless because of weather is grossly unfair. I sure hope you get to move to whereever you would be happy real soon.
LOL, I'm the only Broward "regular" that likes it here! I even made a thread one time in the Charlotte forum asking what was wrong with me because I DON'T want to move there!

Last edited by compelled to reply; 12-11-2007 at 01:30 PM..

Old 12-11-2007, 01:25 PM

888 posts, read 1,340,088 times
Yep,

Today is Dec. 11th and the high is 84. That's just not enough relief for me. "winter" is getting just a little warmer and a little shorter every year. Trust me, I'm a disgruntled Florida resident-I've been paying attention. For the last few "winters" it has warmed back up much quicker in between the cold fronts so that you wind up getting a "shot" of cold, dry air every 8-10 days in January and February and that's it. That certainly is not the "perfect 70 degree" weather that people rave about. Last year we got below average temperatures in February only- that's 3 1/2 weeks. The rest of the time it was above average and humid. If this trend continues (I'll bet it will), I wonder what everyone will say after an increasingly hot and humid spring and summer that skips fall and goes right into an 80 degree average with a few quick cold fronts mixed in? So the year round weather would be- 80's and then 90's and then back to 80's again with a few days of below average temps mixed in. That sounds like a year round summer to me.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:40 PM

548 posts, read 389,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
Yep,

Today is Dec. 11th and the high is 84. That's just not enough relief for me. "winter" is getting just a little warmer and a little shorter every year. Trust me, I'm a disgruntled Florida resident-I've been paying attention. For the last few "winters" it has warmed back up much quicker in between the cold fronts so that you wind up getting a "shot" of cold, dry air every 8-10 days in January and February and that's it. That certainly is not the "perfect 70 degree" weather that people rave about. Last year we got below average temperatures in February only- that's 3 1/2 weeks. The rest of the time it was above average and humid. If this trend continues (I'll bet it will), I wonder what everyone will say after an increasingly hot and humid spring and summer that skips fall and goes right into an 80 degree average with a few quick cold fronts mixed in? So the year round weather would be- 80's and then 90's and then back to 80's again with a few days of below average temps mixed in. That sounds like a year round summer to me.
The difference is the humidity is lower now and will be for the next 6 months. 80-84 feels great without high humidity.

It may not be for you, but you take a poll around the world and I bet you the majority of people would take lows of 65-70 and highs in the low 80's with no complaints.

I am happy as a clam, all my family is, all our visitors are, and all our neighbors are. Everyone is walking around with a huge smile, knowing the next 5 months will be amazing every day. What a night and day difference to the people we saw up north when we visited last week.

You sound like a cold weather person, good luck finding the weather that suits you.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:08 PM

672 posts, read 687,277 times
Default It depends what you like

Quote:
The difference is the humidity is lower now and will be for the next 6 months. 80-84 feels great without high humidity.

It may not be for you, but you take a poll around the world and I bet you the majority of people would take lows of 65-70 and highs in the low 80's with no complaints.

I am happy as a clam, all my family is, all our visitors are, and all our neighbors are. Everyone is walking around with a huge smile, knowing the next 5 months will be amazing every day. What a night and day difference to the people we saw up north when we visited last week.

You sound like a cold weather person, good luck finding the weather that suits you.
I HATE 80 degrees. Not even crazy about 70s. Anything from 40s to 60s is my ideal weather. Why I like the NE and don't like tropical Florida.

I could care less if I ever go to the beach either. I didn't go for maybe 10 years living on LI. I didn't even OWN a swim suit. Why in the world would it be any different for me here?????

Old 12-11-2007, 04:42 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,691,869 times
Quote:

You explained it very well right there.
Heat is much easier to deal with than cold. I work in trucking and haul steel. Last week I was in Cleveland Ohio and it was cold and snowing. Rolling up a frozen tarp and unloading cold steel was so much fun. Delivered a load of steel in Miami yesterday and did not have much problem rolling tarp up. Did not need gloves to take steel off. I get to stay in Fort Myers because weather is not to good up north and I have employees to enjoy that weather. I will be staying in Fort Myers until late March then back to Alabama for the summer. This will be my first summer up there, was in Fort Myers the last 6 summers and it was not that bad. But I always found it is easier to just deal with it then complain about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida