U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 04:05 AM

360 posts, read 1,727,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
San Francisco sounds like the place for you
Or Alaska. Why move to Florida when you know it will be hot?
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72
I HATE 80 degrees. Not even crazy about 70s. Anything from 40s to 60s is my ideal weather. Why I like the NE and don't like tropical Florida.

I could care less if I ever go to the beach either. I didn't go for maybe 10 years living on LI. I didn't even OWN a swim suit. Why in the world would it be any different for me here?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 05:21 AM

497 posts, read 1,397,456 times
It is true that some people exaggerate New England winters but it's also true that some people exaggerate Florida heat. I hear people saying it's 100 degrees all summer long yet when I do searches for record highs there are very few if any days where the temps have been in the 100s. In the summer time we get 100 degree temps every so often in New England too so as someone else said, summers are pretty close in temps between Florida and New England.

It's also true that it doesn't snow every day of the winter. But you do have to deal with ice every day of the winter. If you go anywhere walking during the winter time you will run into ice. Either from the snow melting and refreezing at night or just from past storms. Every night they are putting salt down on the roads because of black ice and this is no lie. So the heat might make you sweat a little bit (maybe a lot) but it won't cause you to fall down and break bones.

Personally I think 70s and 80s are perfect weather. Temps between 75-85 all year round would be perfect for me. So I guess it's all about personal preference.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:49 AM

5,702 posts, read 22,256,020 times
Lightbulb Is warm up here

Our forecast is for 72 degrees for a high and 52 for a low. Maybe some scatter showers later today. The rest of the year will be in the mid 60's with a low in the 50's. Not bad at all.

Happy New Year....

Old 12-28-2007, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
It is true that some people exaggerate New England winters but it's also true that some people exaggerate Florida heat. I hear people saying it's 100 degrees all summer long yet when I do searches for record highs there are very few if any days where the temps have been in the 100s. In the summer time we get 100 degree temps every so often in New England too so as someone else said, summers are pretty close in temps between Florida and New England.

It's also true that it doesn't snow every day of the winter. But you do have to deal with ice every day of the winter. If you go anywhere walking during the winter time you will run into ice. Either from the snow melting and refreezing at night or just from past storms. Every night they are putting salt down on the roads because of black ice and this is no lie. So the heat might make you sweat a little bit (maybe a lot) but it won't cause you to fall down and break bones.

Personally I think 70s and 80s are perfect weather. Temps between 75-85 all year round would be perfect for me. So I guess it's all about personal preference.
I agree. I'm from Ohio and dread seeing 4 more months of grey skies and ice. It only makes sense why so many elderly would want to live in Florida. I know I'm the type of person who'd enjoy doing more things outside when it's warm, compared to doing nothing when it's freezing out, up here. And I'd love all the wildlife down there and the beautiful atmosphere you just don't get up here in Ohio.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:51 PM

172 posts, read 783,463 times
couldntve said it better myself.... the 3 maybe 4 total days of cool, comfortable days floridians pray for during the summertime last for months during spring and fall in states that get these "horrible" winters everyone wants to run away from..

i rather deal with 4 or so months of cold rather than 10 where its 95 degrees out when you wake up in the morning

Old 12-28-2007, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromedome View Post
couldntve said it better myself.... the 3 maybe 4 total days of cool, comfortable days floridians pray for during the summertime last for months during spring and fall in states that get these "horrible" winters everyone wants to run away from..

i rather deal with 4 or so months of cold rather than 10 where its 95 degrees out when you wake up in the morning
Well to all these people who just HATE Florida, why on earth are you living there?

Old 12-28-2007, 08:41 PM

172 posts, read 783,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FringedNFab View Post
Well to all these people who just HATE Florida, why on earth are you living there?
everyone doesnt have the ability to just pick up and go..alot of people came to florida when things were different and are stuck because of a horrible housing market, job market. among other things i wont get into here.

theres a ton of threads answering that very question

Old 12-28-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
everyone doesnt have the ability to just pick up and go..alot of people came to florida when things were different and are stuck because of a horrible housing market, job market. among other things i wont get into here.

What you people can't understand tho down there, is things are bad ALL OVER the U.S. not just down in Florida. We have foreclosed homes up here and rent signs in yards that sit for months. I just browsed the Help Wanted ad's in our local paper just the other day and there were barely 10 ad's and most were for the trucking industry. I've never seen it this slouchy ever up here. I know of personal friends who can't even land a job through our temp agencies up here because there is little work. So for everyone thinking it's just Florida going down the tubes, you may be in for terrible shell shock when you move north or where ever and find WELL GOSH DARN, IT'S BAD ALL OVER!

Old 12-29-2007, 03:15 AM

800 posts, read 2,810,675 times
Quote:

Where in Florida is it 95 when you wake up in the morning?

The beauty of our country is that we have climate that makes everyone happy just due to our vast size. People can live where it suits them best!

Old 12-29-2007, 06:48 AM

10,732 posts, read 31,778,474 times
Quote:

And you feel that concentrating on the negative aspect of your situation is going to somehow make it better rather then trying to look for something more positive to think about? How is that working for you so far?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida