Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 07:41 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,488,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
It is true that some people exaggerate New England winters but it's also true that some people exaggerate Florida heat. I hear people saying it's 100 degrees all summer long yet when I do searches for record highs there are very few if any days where the temps have been in the 100s. In the summer time we get 100 degree temps every so often in New England too so as someone else said, summers are pretty close in temps between Florida and New England.

It's also true that it doesn't snow every day of the winter. But you do have to deal with ice every day of the winter. If you go anywhere walking during the winter time you will run into ice. Either from the snow melting and refreezing at night or just from past storms. Every night they are putting salt down on the roads because of black ice and this is no lie. So the heat might make you sweat a little bit (maybe a lot) but it won't cause you to fall down and break bones.

Personally I think 70s and 80s are perfect weather. Temps between 75-85 all year round would be perfect for me. So I guess it's all about personal preference.
I think when people say its 100 degrees all summer long, they factor in the heat index.. It can be 98 out but the weather channel with give the heat index making it say 104... To me if it FEELS like 104 with the index, well then its 104... They won't show the actual temp as being 104 when you search averages, thats why you're only seeing temps in the 80's and 90's... Its the same concept up here, if its 25 with a wind chill of 5 degrees. Well then its 5 degrees! Heat indexes and windchills are useless IMO ..If thats how cold or hot it feels, then just make that the temp!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 925 times
Ok, I'm just going to throw this out there. I live in California and love the weather every single day. I can drive to the snow if I want to ski, I can drive to the ocean if I want to surf. I can stay inside with my fire going or the a/c on. But, we want to know what the weather is like in other location, to see if it's worth leaving this great paradise that costs so much money to appreciate. Many people who live in California can't stand the way its being run, the horrible taxes, and the over priced housing. I was born here and have no knowledge of life anywhere else. If Florida's weather is horrible and the amenities do not compensate for this, then thank you for letting us know. However, if some of you are getting as sick of Fl as I am of CA, maybe we should switch houses for a year or two. Hmmmm, I may be onto something.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:30 PM

380 posts, read 961,468 times
I love Florida weather!

Old 08-13-2010, 05:52 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Retire2010 View Post
Ok, I'm just going to throw this out there. I live in California and love the weather every single day. I can drive to the snow if I want to ski, I can drive to the ocean if I want to surf. I can stay inside with my fire going or the a/c on. But, we want to know what the weather is like in other location, to see if it's worth leaving this great paradise that costs so much money to appreciate. Many people who live in California can't stand the way its being run, the horrible taxes, and the over priced housing. I was born here and have no knowledge of life anywhere else. If Florida's weather is horrible and the amenities do not compensate for this, then thank you for letting us know. However, if some of you are getting as sick of Fl as I am of CA, maybe we should switch houses for a year or two. Hmmmm, I may be onto something.
After living in CA you're not going to like the weather in Florida, this coming from someone who lived 20 plus years in Southern CA and now 3 years in Florida.

It is the humidity, it is nice in the winter here(similar to CA) but hot and very humid from May until well into November.

I miss that it could be 85 degrees and go to 60 at night. Here it is 95 with a low of 82 in the summer. And so muggy.

People who come here from Michigan think it is great because it doesn't snow, but once you have experienced CA(Southern CA) it is a very hard adjustment.

Just an FYI.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:54 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
I went to the store today at 3 PM. It is was 92 degrees with a heat index of 102 degrees with 5 mpr winds. Just walking to and from my car the sweat was dripping into my eyes. I had one hand on the wheel and tried to wipe the sweat out of my eyes with my other hand. I am 103 lbs and was wearing shorts and a tank top. The AC in my car didn't kick in enough on my short drive home and the sweat was still dripping in my eyes while driving. This is pleasant??????

After two heat waves in NY (which I was there for), my daughter said it was raining, in the 70s, and 60s forecast for tonight. It's still August. In a few months, any memory of their heat waves will be long gone. I will still have high 80s for Halloween and Thanksgiving, and if lucky, mid 80s Christmas. That is not even considering what the HEAT INDEX will be then. MAYBE it will be in the 70s and 60s in January, but by March it will be back up in the 80s.

I am so sick of being HOT and SWEATING. I want to be COLD. I want to SHIVER. I want to put on a lot of CLOTHES.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:03 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I remember sweat dripping in my eyes while driving. Yuck. I remember that my makeup use to drip right into my eyes and sting. After awhile, you start giving up. I stopped wearing makeup or fixing my hair. I just threw it on top of my head and that's where it stayed until we moved. We've had a heat wave up here and still it isn't like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I went to the store today at 3 PM. It is was 92 degrees with a heat index of 102 degrees with 5 mpr winds. Just walking to and from my car the sweat was dripping into my eyes. I had one hand on the wheel and tried to wipe the sweat out of my eyes with my other hand. I am 103 lbs and was wearing shorts and a tank top. The AC in my car didn't kick in enough on my short drive home and the sweat was still dripping in my eyes while driving. This is pleasant??????

After two heat waves in NY (which I was there for), my daughter said it was raining, in the 70s, and 60s forecast for tonight. It's still August. In a few months, any memory of their heat waves will be long gone. I will still have high 80s for Halloween and Thanksgiving, and if lucky, mid 80s Christmas. That is not even considering what the HEAT INDEX will be then. MAYBE it will be in the 70s and 60s in January, but by March it will be back up in the 80s.

I am so sick of being HOT and SWEATING. I want to be COLD. I want to SHIVER. I want to put on a lot of CLOTHES.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:23 PM

24 posts, read 36,315 times
All I know is I visited Daytona and Sarasota last March and was cold most of the time. Lucky I had my coat with me. I was only intending to wear it up here in northern VA when I got back. But when I got back it was warmer here! When it got colder a week or so later my friends who went to FL with me and I said "feels like we're back in Florida!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida