U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-10-2007, 04:27 PM
 
888 posts, read 1,343,110 times
Reputation: 1184

Advertisements

Everyone always talks about how nice it feels outside during "winter" in Florida. I just want everyone to understand that OTHER PLACES have the exact same temperatures that we do-they just occur at different times of the year. So if you think it feels nice now, you would also enjoy the same weather elsewhere during a different season. Today (12-10-07) it was 83 degrees and mid 60's at night-that sounds like a spring/summer/early fall day in many other states up north. So what does the calendar have to do with it? We laugh at Northerners during winter because they get snow/cold. In reality-they enjoy our "favorite" temperatures for a longer period of time than we do. In Florida, we get "nice" temps in December, January, and February-thats 3 months (give or take). The combination of spring/summer/fall up North lasts longer than 3 months. It is EXTREMELY HOT in Florida from april/may to at least october. That is 7 months of tropical heat/humidity with a small break in winter (getting smaller in case you didn't notice). So when it's August and it's 87 degrees at midnight maybe the Northerners are laughing at us. It gets hot up there but at least it cools off at night. Also, there seems to be a misconception that when it snows up north, everyone has to lock themselves inside the house and suffer. NOT TRUE- there is so many activities that can be done outside in the winter if you dress properly. Would you wear jeans and a sweater to the beach in the Florida summer-NO. So if you dress correctly, you can enjoy the winter weather with no problems. Do you know how I know this? BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE WHO LIVES OUTSIDE OF FLORIDA WANTS TO LEAVE. Millions and millions of people live in climates that have snow/cold and are perfectly happy. We (including me in the past) seem to have an arrogance about our weather/state. We think that anyone who would put up with snow/cold is crazy or something. I have lived here for 20 years and my "weather denial" is wearing off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-10-2007, 04:33 PM
 
8,376 posts, read 27,777,665 times
Reputation: 2366
It actually seems like way more people hate the weather than like the weather if this forum means anything. Florida is useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2007, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Living in Paradise
5,702 posts, read 22,256,020 times
Reputation: 2987
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
It actually seems like way more people hate the weather than like the weather if this forum means anything. Florida is useless.
Give us your definition: Florida is useless....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2007, 04:37 PM
 
8,376 posts, read 27,777,665 times
Reputation: 2366
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Give us your definition: Florida is useless....
I'm being sarcastic, because seriously, we know already guys, Florida is hot. Nobody denies it. Just because you think it's hell on earth because it's too hot doesn't mean anyone who thinks otherwise is totally wrong. That's just not being objective. I don't understand the point of this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2007, 04:44 PM
 
Location: Living in Paradise
5,702 posts, read 22,256,020 times
Reputation: 2987
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I'm being sarcastic, because seriously, we know already guys, Florida is hot. Nobody denies it. Just because you think it's hell on earth because it's too hot doesn't mean anyone who thinks otherwise is totally wrong. That's just not being objective. I don't understand the point of this thread.

Members, if you don't understand the question ask for clarification so YOU are clear. If you make sarcastic comments, understand that no one else knows if your post is sarcastic or just don't post.

Thank you

Last edited by sunrico90; 12-10-2007 at 08:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2007, 04:49 PM
 
888 posts, read 1,343,110 times
Reputation: 1184
Read the post again- the point is clear: Many people have misconceptions about how good our weather is and how bad everyone else's is. I just wanted to shed some light on that subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2007, 04:51 PM
 
8,376 posts, read 27,777,665 times
Reputation: 2366
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
Read the post again- the point is clear: Many people have misconceptions about how good our weather is and how bad everyone else's is. I just wanted to shed some light on that subject.
The main thing is there is a misconception around here that the weather is one of the worst things about Florida. It's not the best or the worst thing, it's totally subjective, because like you said, people are happy in cold climates. That doesn't give a reason to ****(Wow) and moan about living in a subtropical/tropical climate under the suggestion that colder= better. It's just different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2007, 05:15 PM
 
554 posts, read 2,026,468 times
Reputation: 299
Cool the last laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
Everyone always talks about how nice it feels outside during "winter" in Florida. I just want everyone to understand that OTHER PLACES have the exact same temperatures that we do-they just occur at different times of the year. So if you think it feels nice now, you would also enjoy the same weather elsewhere during a different season. Today (12-10-07) it was 83 degrees and mid 60's at night-that sounds like a spring/summer/early fall day in many other states up north. So what does the calendar have to do with it? We laugh at Northerners during winter because they get snow/cold. In reality-they enjoy our "favorite" temperatures for a longer period of time than we do. In Florida, we get "nice" temps in December, January, and February-thats 3 months (give or take). The combination of spring/summer/fall up North lasts longer than 3 months. It is EXTREMELY HOT in Florida from april/may to at least october. That is 7 months of tropical heat/humidity with a small break in winter (getting smaller in case you didn't notice). So when it's August and it's 87 degrees at midnight maybe the Northerners are laughing at us. It gets hot up there but at least it cools off at night. Also, there seems to be a misconception that when it snows up north, everyone has to lock themselves inside the house and suffer. NOT TRUE- there is so many activities that can be done outside in the winter if you dress properly. Would you wear jeans and a sweater to the beach in the Florida summer-NO. So if you dress correctly, you can enjoy the winter weather with no problems. Do you know how I know this? BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE WHO LIVES OUTSIDE OF FLORIDA WANTS TO LEAVE. Millions and millions of people live in climates that have snow/cold and are perfectly happy. We (including me in the past) seem to have an arrogance about our weather/state. We think that anyone who would put up with snow/cold is crazy or something. I have lived here for 20 years and my "weather denial" is wearing off.
Snowbirds are the ones who are perfectly happy with the weather. They don't migrate with the birds just because they can. An RV in the winter and a house somewhere above the mason dixon isn't such a bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2007, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Naples
672 posts, read 690,157 times
Reputation: 63
Default Good points

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
Everyone always talks about how nice it feels outside during "winter" in Florida. I just want everyone to understand that OTHER PLACES have the exact same temperatures that we do-they just occur at different times of the year. So if you think it feels nice now, you would also enjoy the same weather elsewhere during a different season. Today (12-10-07) it was 83 degrees and mid 60's at night-that sounds like a spring/summer/early fall day in many other states up north. So what does the calendar have to do with it? We laugh at Northerners during winter because they get snow/cold. In reality-they enjoy our "favorite" temperatures for a longer period of time than we do. In Florida, we get "nice" temps in December, January, and February-thats 3 months (give or take). The combination of spring/summer/fall up North lasts longer than 3 months. It is EXTREMELY HOT in Florida from april/may to at least october. That is 7 months of tropical heat/humidity with a small break in winter (getting smaller in case you didn't notice). So when it's August and it's 87 degrees at midnight maybe the Northerners are laughing at us. It gets hot up there but at least it cools off at night. Also, there seems to be a misconception that when it snows up north, everyone has to lock themselves inside the house and suffer. NOT TRUE- there is so many activities that can be done outside in the winter if you dress properly. Would you wear jeans and a sweater to the beach in the Florida summer-NO. So if you dress correctly, you can enjoy the winter weather with no problems. Do you know how I know this? BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE WHO LIVES OUTSIDE OF FLORIDA WANTS TO LEAVE. Millions and millions of people live in climates that have snow/cold and are perfectly happy. We (including me in the past) seem to have an arrogance about our weather/state. We think that anyone who would put up with snow/cold is crazy or something. I have lived here for 20 years and my "weather denial" is wearing off.
I didn't like 85 degrees in NY in JULY. I couldn't wait for our summer to be over and for Fall to get there. Yes, I even preferred 20 degrees to 80 degrees. That is the difference with having 4 seasons. If you don't like one, which for me was summer, you know that sooner or later that season will be over. In Florida summer is forever. It doesn't matter much to me whether it is in the 90s, or 80s, or even 70s. For that reason, December, January, and February will still be summer to me.

No, I did not hibernate in NY in the winter. Hockey season is mostly in the winter and we traveled and went all over New England in the winter. I DID hibernate in the SUMMER, unless my daughter had a hockey game. Then we were inside an ice rink where it was below 32 degrees. I actually hated to leave and go out in the heat.

I am simply not cut out for Florida's year round summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2007, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,488 posts, read 17,932,473 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
Read the post again- the point is clear: Many people have misconceptions about how good our weather is and how bad everyone else's is. I just wanted to shed some light on that subject.

I understood your point, I just didn't understand why a new thread about the weather had to be started since you already stated the same exact thread earlier.

Each area of the country has different weather. Some areas have cold weather, some hot, some a mixture. If the weather is your biggest determining factor on where you live, move accordingly.

If you can't move then there is nothing you can do about the weather.

I hate the cold, I left New York because of it.

I have no problem with people voicing their distaste for an area but after the 5,456,332nd thread about how hot Florida is, it gets old. If there is anyone that did not know Florida gets hot then they need to go back to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top