U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2014, 01:19 PM

338 posts, read 316,887 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be remodeling my house in Naples. I asked on this forum hoping to get a wider range of Florida opinions. I'm from the midwest where everyone has at least one fireplace.

Would it make sense to put in a gas fireplace in my house here? I already have a propane tank used for the cooktop and pool. I know it's personal preference but I am wondering how others in FL view a fireplace. Would it be a desireable feature when I sell someday? Or is it silly based on the few number of days needed.

Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 01:28 PM

592 posts, read 550,446 times
We're moving to Naples as soon as our condo in Chicago sells. We have lived in Illinois our entire lives and have had fireplaces that mostly never got used. Wish I had never put them in two houses we built-waste of wall space.

We're building again in Naples-no fireplace. I'd much rather have my TV hung on the wall at the right height so I can sit on the couch and not have to look up or tilt the TV down.

Another reason we didn't use the fireplace in the last house was we hung the TV on the wall above the fireplace. The heat rolled out of the fireplace up the wall and made the TV way too hot.

Just my opinion, but I don't get the allure of a fireplace, especially in Florida. Seems like a waste of money and wall space.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:40 PM

5,311 posts, read 8,123,361 times
We moved to the Bradenton area from New York and wanted a fireplace in the house we built. I'd say we used it a handful of times each year but it was strictly for atmosphere and, as a wood burner, it was kind of a pain. In Naples, I have to say I don't see it. Here, we do see some cold weather so, even though we know it's kind of a superfluous addition, you can still rationalize that it makes sense. In Naples, I think it would feel....wrong.

For resale, appraisers here seem to give about $1-1.5K for a fireplace, if that helps. I think the gas firepit is a better idea for up here--not sure if it would work in Naples. Bottom line...and you know this...if it makes you happy and you can afford it, get it.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:20 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,152,781 times
It will only be used for "fun" maybe 3-5 times a year you can get actual use out of it. Given the extra cost, maintance etc.. I would not do it. Is it nice to have? Sure. If the location works and you don't mind the cost for a few times a year of lighting it then do it. I enjoy fireplaces too. At the same time a house i grew up in Miami Beach had a real one. House was built in the 1920s. Never used it once.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:00 PM

34,240 posts, read 41,245,337 times
Perhaps a large fireplace screen saver for your tv would be an economical compromise.
https://www.google.ca/#q=fireplace+t...er&safe=active

Something like this perhaps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIJAsKCLTqc

If you lived anyplace but Fla. the real fireplace would be something to be considered..

Old 05-16-2014, 09:23 PM

1,338 posts, read 1,382,562 times
I consider a fireplace a negative, especially in Florida.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:57 AM

2,101 posts, read 2,068,366 times
I also considered a fireplace a negative, as it just eliminated a wall that I could otherwise use for furniture.

One note of disclosure however, I had one fireplace in my first house in NY and two (one was a dual sided between the kitchen and family room, the other in the master bedroom) in the second house in NJ and we never used any of them. My husband doesn't like the smell of burning wood and we never got around to converting to gas.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:38 AM

4,158 posts, read 7,887,849 times
Fireplaces are fairly common and practical north of I4 but south of that it's really more a decorative piece. You'll still be able to use it a few times a year but don't plan on saving a ton on utilities because of it.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:24 AM

103 posts, read 194,167 times
Maybe buy one of those electric fireplaces for the ambiance. They make some that double as entertainment centers and some are normal size with a mantle. That's what we intend to do if we buy a house that doesn't have one. We're used to having one even though we rarely use it but like to decorate it for Christmas.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:08 PM

910 posts, read 1,743,576 times
Doesn't having a fireplace increase your home insurance cost ? Not to mention having to worry about critters and bugs getting in through the chimney. Nope, not worth it in southern Florida. I don't think it is a positive selling point for most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or