Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 03:00 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
If you think its bad here you should try visiting the NE.

Fla isn't the NE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 03:07 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeDatSunshineState View Post
I don't think you have a clue as to what your're talking about. If you want to talk about states taking more than they out in, then come to CT and tell me what you think. I can't even remember the last non-corrupt governor or city mayor that we've had.

Cost of living in CT is the most in the continental USA. There is absolutely nothing in CT, nothing to do, and nothing to see.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-mo...180732578.html

Every state has its positives and negatives, but the ONLY positive in CT that people can say is that its about 1.5 hours from Hartford to NYC and Boston. Other than that, there is nothing in the state. The taxes here are enough to make you go running back to FL.

Oh, I forgot, one more good thing about CT is how easy it is for certain people to get government assistance for food, unemployment, housing, etc, etc. My wife works at the hospital and in a normal week, she gets anywhere from 10-15 patients from Florida, and when asked why they just don't go see a doctor in Florida, the unanimous response is "I can get coverage for free if I come to CT". Who do you think gets stuck paying for all those things? Is it you?
Don't accuse me of not knowing what I'm talking about--I was born and raised in Rhode Island, lived in Florida for twelve long years, and have more family members and friends than I can count living and working all over Connecticut.

Like Connecticut, Rhode Island taxes vehicles as personal property. I'm not sure what the car tax is called in Connecticut, but in Rhode Island, it's called an "excise tax". In Georgia, where I lived for about six months or so in the mid-2000's, the car tax is called an "ad valorem tax", although I believe Georgia got rid of their car tax recently.

In Rhode Island, however, town tax assessors' offices are "one-year behind" or so they say, so they can still collect "back taxes" on your vehicle, even if you've been living in a different state for upwards to a year or more. I don't know if they do this in Connecticut, but this is a pretty standard practice among tax assessors' offices in RI cities/towns. Also, in order to cancel your vehicle registration and, in turn, remove your vehicle from the tax roll, you *must* physically return your vehicle license plates to the DMV (i.e., physically handing them in at a counter inside the building). If you yourself cannot do that, someone must do that on your behalf. If you don't physically hand in your license plates at the DMV and/or if you *mail* them in, then your registration is still active and your vehicle will remain on the tax roll until registration expires, which, depending on how long your registration is valid for, could potentially be upwards to two years. Not only is this practice incredibly antiquated and virtually unheard of in other states, no one at the DMV or in the town even *tells* you this, which is beyond sneaky, if you ask me. Unfortunately, this recently happened to an old friend of mine from Rhode Island who recently moved to Colorado who mailed his plates back to the RI DMV after re-registering his car in Colorado. Please, spare me.

Although I don't have many good things to say about Florida, I will have you know that the lack of vehicle property taxes, which can sometimes come out to be *like* a second car payment if you drive expensive cars such as myself, is a really a very positive thing, esp. if you're coming from a state like CT or RI with exorbitant car taxes. Believe it or not, almost no one in Florida even knows what vehicle property taxes are! Registration fees in Florida in the mid-2000's still seemed lower than registration fees in Rhode Island in the early/mid-90's, too.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:08 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Fla isn't the NE?

No, its the SE

Old 06-01-2014, 05:15 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
If you think its bad here you should try visiting the NE.

That's the thing, you don't have to visit the NE to get the NE attitude. It is all over FL.

With the possible exception of northern FL and the panhandle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I'd have to agree w the rude thing
Took a road trip through GA, SC, and NC a few months back. What an eye opener.

It was impossible not to notice the difference in better manners in stores and restaurants. Makes life more pleasant when people are more courteous(I really don't care if it is just on the surface), it still makes for a more pleasant day when you're out and about.

The problem with FL is the FL natives have been way outnumbered. You move to places like GA, TN, and other southeastern states you better learn that "when in Rome do as the Romans do", in other words learn to fit in and go with the flow.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:41 PM

Yes, northern FL hasnt been infected as much.
Trust me. The NE attitude we see here is only a sampling of up there.

I think I told my two stories here before. No change at a laudromat and dont ask someone if the parking meters are enforced after 7 if they are on a cigarette break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
That's the thing, you don't have to visit the NE to get the NE attitude. It is all over FL.

It was impossible not to notice the difference in better manners in stores and restaurants. Makes life more pleasant when people are more courteous(I really don't care if it is just on the surface), it still makes for a more pleasant day when you're out and about.

The problem with FL is the FL natives have been way outnumbered. You move to places like GA, TN, and other southeastern states you better learn that "when in Rome do as the Romans do", in other words learn to fit in and go with the flow.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:

This really is spot on! I know exactly what you're talking about, and as a FL native and also someone who has spent a lot of time in NC and SC, it really is very true. And I think I'm a very good source.

Especially the way FL is now regarding being like the NE now and spending time in NC SC and GA it really is nice and I miss that, a lot. If it weren't true, I wouldn't be saying how much I miss that.

Good post.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:47 PM

I think it also has a lot to do with where you are in FL. Large cities have lost it all together and all have people with the typical urban attitude. I saw it disappear in Orlando over the years. The bigger the city got the less friendly it got.
I find it friendly here in Spring Hill and the surrounding area. Brooksville especially. The further north the less of bad attitudes I find.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I think it also has a lot to do with where you are in FL. Large cities have lost it all together and all have people with the typical urban attitude. I saw it disappear in Orlando over the years. The bigger the city got the less friendly it got.
I find it friendly here in Spring Hill and the surrounding area. Brooksville especially. The further north the less of bad attitudes I find.
This is true as well.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:57 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,740 times
Quote:

Now living north of Atlanta coming from Orlando, I wholeheartedly agree ...

Old 06-02-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Now living north of Atlanta coming from Orlando, I wholeheartedly agree ...
And I agree as we'll. it's a fact some just deny it or think rude is normal. It's really not.

Your in johns creek now?!? Nice! Love that area, busy but ppl still so friendly. Lots of traffic.!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida