U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 07:19 AM

4,158 posts, read 7,887,849 times

Advertisements

Nailhead...meet hammer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 07:30 AM

13,098 posts, read 24,817,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
This is a good point that I couldn't quite put my finger on before - a lot of posters seem pretty adamant about finding something that as far as I have experienced, isn't possible ANYWHERE. And I have moved around a lot, and traveled extensively, so I've seen a lot of different situations. But why would someone assume that a scenario they have never seen before in their own experience of life, can be found in FL? Do people think of FL as a magical place that has ideal living conditions? I can see asking such things maybe of NYC, LA, Chicago if you've never been to a big city before, simply because they're large and you might think they're full of possibilities you've never heard of. But FL doesn't have anything on that scale - primarily small cities, and suburbs, and also a lot of rural space. Before I moved to FL, I thought of it as a hot place - but not necessarily someplace that had amazing living conditions, where all of one's dreams can come true. I also didn't think of it as a place with unlimited jobs, or anything else that great except the weather and beaches. So do all of these questions come from a perception of FL that I don't realize is common out there? Do people around the country really think that FL is known for great quality of living, and some kind of perfect living conditions where you can get everything you want on a platter even though it doesn't make sense and cannot be found anywhere else in the nation?

Lol - that might actually be possible in some places down here in the Keys. For instance, stretches around Islamorada are so narrow that one can see both from the road - so if you're in a house in one of the wider spaces that have a little land for buildings, you could conceivably own a several story building (there are a number of stilt homes that have 2 or 3 stories of living space on top) with an observation deck (also a popular feature) or tower, from which you may be able to see both at the same time. HOWEVER, even if there are houses like that that exist, the cost is major, and it is a real risk because that kind of place is obviously crazy susceptible to being wiped out in a hurricane - you have a tall house with virtually no wind or wave protection sitting essentially on a sand bar in the middle of the ocean. Sounds great, but not really a great idea.

So now if your worst nightmare comes true and someone posts a thread asking about that, you have an answer to give them! On the other hand, if they post the same question demanding it be in Orlando (which I suspect would be the most likely next region someone would ask a question about that!), good luck finding a polite response...
Of course they would...I mean after all you do have THE MAGIC KINGDOM at Disney
I don't live in FL but I do find people vacation in a spot and base that for their move....vacation and day to day living is two entirely different ball games.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:19 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,203,256 times
Moving to FL from somewhere else is a decision that needs to be based on a persons idea of comfortable.

Moving to FL today is a lot different than it was 25 years ago (when I did it). Then there was an abundance of jobs, a decent cost of living and most important of all it was not crowded.

In order to be successful anywhere you need a way to make a living. A skill or an ability to perform tasks over and above "want fries with that?". You need to be sharp, on the ball and outstanding compared to everyone else that is attempting what you are trying to do. This is true when discussing a relocation to FL or anywhere else. One needs to be pretty flexible in their thinking. One needs to be able to accept change.

Relocating to FL is no different than relocating more than a few hundred miles from where you are in the first place.

Anyone who is relocating has a reason for doing so. Carefully think out what your reasons are before
relocating and be sure that the place you decide to relocate to can support the reasons you have.

Florida is very diverse. South Florida is a whole different world than North central FL. North central FL is different
than North FL. Decide what you are looking for. Urban, suburban or rural. Be prepared with the life skills necessary to survive in your choice.

One needs to find the niche they want to fit into. If you cant find a niche and/or honestly state the reasons you want to relocate, stay where you are as you will be better off there than anywhere else you could choose.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Of course they would...I mean after all you do have THE MAGIC KINGDOM at Disney
I don't live in FL but I do find people vacation in a spot and base that for their move....vacation and day to day living is two entirely different ball games.
Anybody who relocates to FL because of a theme park is a fool and I highly doubt that people actually relocate for a theme park.

Who would move to St. Louis because of the Arch? Who would move to Washington D.C. because of the Washington Monument? Who would relocate to Nevada because of Las Vegas? Same when looking at FL. You need to understand what FL is about and how it differs from where you are now.

Living in Fl can be very rewarding or it could be a nightmare depending on the criteria used to be here.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:24 AM

910 posts, read 1,743,576 times
I think the national public perception of Florida is influenced by the existence of Disney World, resorts, and the idea of retirement living somehow being stress-free. Therefore, a lot of people in the rest of the country assume that Florida must have some special quality for everyday living, just based on the fact that it's a vacation destination.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Anybody who relocates to FL because of a theme park is a fool and I highly doubt that people actually relocate for a theme park.

Who would move to St. Louis because of the Arch? Who would move to Washington D.C. because of the Washington Monument? Who would relocate to Nevada because of Las Vegas? Same when looking at FL. You need to understand what FL is about and how it differs from where you are now.

Living in Fl can be very rewarding or it could be a nightmare depending on the criteria used to be here.
Don't get your knickers all twisted..it was tongue in cheek as far as Disney ~~~~BUT~~~~ I have witnessed people who spent two weeks vacationing somewhere and come home raving about how they would LOVE to move there and a few have only to return as soon as they could, not just FL either but places like Colorado etc

Last edited by njkate; 05-28-2014 at 08:54 AM..

Old 05-28-2014, 08:36 AM

8,748 posts, read 10,770,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Moving to FL from somewhere else is a decision that needs to be based on a persons idea of comfortable.

Moving to FL today is a lot different than it was 25 years ago (when I did it). Then there was an abundance of jobs, a decent cost of living and most important of all it was not crowded.

In order to be successful anywhere you need a way to make a living. A skill or an ability to perform tasks over and above "want fries with that?". You need to be sharp, on the ball and outstanding compared to everyone else that is attempting what you are trying to do. This is true when discussing a relocation to FL or anywhere else. One needs to be pretty flexible in their thinking. One needs to be able to accept change.

Relocating to FL is no different than relocating more than a few hundred miles from where you are in the first place.

Anyone who is relocating has a reason for doing so. Carefully think out what your reasons are before
relocating and be sure that the place you decide to relocate to can support the reasons you have.

Florida is very diverse. South Florida is a whole different world than North central FL. North central FL is different
than North FL. Decide what you are looking for. Urban, suburban or rural. Be prepared with the life skills necessary to survive in your choice.

One needs to find the niche they want to fit into. If you cant find a niche and/or honestly state the reasons you want to relocate, stay where you are as you will be better off there than anywhere else you could choose.
Excellent! .. but, too much common sense for many who seem to have the notion that Florida is exactly like the 'Magic Kingdom' (or Camelot) ... with beaches! There is an "It's always warm and sunny in Florida" UTube video on one of these Florida threads ... that typifies this 'blind spot' among many who hope to move to Fla., following a winter vacation.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Excellent! .. but, too much common sense for many who seem to have the notion that Florida is exactly like the 'Magic Kingdom' (or Camelot) ... with beaches! There is an "It's always warm and sunny in Florida" UTube video on one of these Florida threads ... that typifies this 'blind spot' among many who hope to move to Fla., following a winter vacation.
Exactly!! I love to visit FL in the winter but don't think I could live there year round even though hubbie thinks he could

Old 05-28-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Don't get your knickers all twisted..it was tongue in cheek as far as Disney ~~~~BUT~~~~ I have witnessed people who spent two weeks vacationing somewhere and come home raving about how they would LOVE to move there and a few have only to return as soon as they could, not just FL either but places like Colorado etc
What you said about basing it all on Disney is not quite far from the facts. Seems people get his "endless vacation" theme in mind. For most the theme dies off after a few weeks, for others it becomes an itch.
However, it is not something to base a relocation on. Your post didnt get my knickers in a knot, but my post was made to enhance yours.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Agreed. Right now I am loving it though. The snowbirds are gone (and this area has a large density of them) and traffic is back to normal. Restaurants and stores are less crowded. Sure, its going to get hot for a while, but when you decide to live closer to the equator than any where else, its expected, or should be.

Vacationers rarely think about real life. Getting up each morning and heading off to work and other day to day tasks of life. Can you get off work at 5 and hit the beach for a couple of hours? Sure, if you like a late dinner or taking care of the daily chores later in the evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or