U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 06:54 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,207,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Well - we moved to Florida a year ago - even after reading the very negative posts - I wanted to be near the beaches, love the hot weather and slow pace of life - I do not regret it one bit - my husband has a good job - fairly secure because no matter where you live no job is secure anymore - so far we love it - but we researched a lot - cost of living, cost of homes, homeowners insurance, flood insurance if needed, high electric bills, high taxes on a home (though nowhere near as high as some areas) - not as cheap to live here as most people think. $400 bucks to register a car - people really need to think about what they are doing - and NEVER come down here without a job secured or you will be very sorry.
Glad you're enjoying it. The $400 is a one time fee for new title and the impact on the environment.

Unless you've got AT LEAST a year of living expenses in the bank then yes, you better have a job lined up.
Even after a year it could be hard to land a decent job as a newcomer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 07:59 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,132,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Well - we moved to Florida a year ago - even after reading the very negative posts - I wanted to be near the beaches, love the hot weather and slow pace of life - I do not regret it one bit - my husband has a good job - fairly secure because no matter where you live no job is secure anymore - so far we love it - but we researched a lot - cost of living, cost of homes, homeowners insurance, flood insurance if needed, high electric bills, high taxes on a home (though nowhere near as high as some areas) - not as cheap to live here as most people think. $400 bucks to register a car - people really need to think about what they are doing - and NEVER come down here without a job secured or you will be very sorry.
I wish everybody did this - sadly, it's not even a majority who do their due diligence, for their own life. And I get what DanielAvery is saying, because the people who bother to at least check C-D before they get the Uhaul, generally phrase their questions like the responsibility for their life going well is on strangers, and then usually don't give a lot of specifics to help us help them. You do want to say sometimes - um, it's YOUR life, how do you not even care enough to figure out how much a move will cost, or to have at least visited before you move? You don't even know me, and you want me to tell you where you're going to be happy based on a paragraph?

Then these are the type of people posting new threads as a resident warning everyone else not to move to FL because it's terrible, it's "impossible to make it." And yet, here we are, quite a few of us who did a lot of research FIRST, and are very happy with our moves to FL - including those of us from big cities up North. I don't think that's a coincidence! You get from life what you put into it - if you put in some time to make sure you'll be comfortable before the big transition, it will probably all go pretty well in the end. There will still be some struggle of adjustment, but it won't be a shock at least, and you'll know you can survive it.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:01 PM

39 posts, read 40,269 times
Fairfax Mom - Did you move from Fairfax, VA by chance? If so, would you mind if I messaged about your move and experiences, thus far? We're in Montgomery County, MD and hoping to move down next year. Being from a similar area (assuming you came from VA) I'm interested in hearing more about what your first year has been like.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:12 PM

5,045 posts, read 5,964,254 times
And then there are the folks up here who talk of nothing other than moving to FL from the first snowfall to . ... right about now, when we've just had three 80-degree days in a row with wretched humidity.

I was in Tampa in August about ten years ago, tasked with cleaning out a relative's trailer. There was no a/c. I nearly died! I didn't take the warning about doing heavy work early and late in the day seriously enough and almost ended up in the hospital. I was a dummy!

I have pointed out these problems and most of what has been mentioned on this fun thread, but I get a blank look and, "Anything is better than freezing through another Iowa winter . . ."

So being up North doesn't make some of immune from this dialogue, either.

And y'all have a wonderful state! It's just not for me, and I know that and won't be like one of those twits in the video.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
And then there are the folks up here who talk of nothing other than moving to FL from the first snowfall to . ... right about now, when we've just had three 80-degree days in a row with wretched humidity.

I was in Tampa in August about ten years ago, tasked with cleaning out a relative's trailer. There was no a/c. I nearly died! I didn't take the warning about doing heavy work early and late in the day seriously enough and almost ended up in the hospital. I was a dummy!

I have pointed out these problems and most of what has been mentioned on this fun thread, but I get a blank look and, "Anything is better than freezing through another Iowa winter . . ."

So being up North doesn't make some of immune from this dialogue, either.

And y'all have a wonderful state! It's just not for me, and I know that and won't be like one of those twits in the video.
LOL, I know that fantasizing about the tropics is a favorite winter pasttime up North. And I think that's ok, just like for a moment in the heat of summer in FL, there are a number of people fantasizing about snow and making a village of snowpeople! But there is a difference between the fantasy, and actually MOVING. For those who do it, I just hope they take a little time to consider that it's a real place with good and bad, not a fantasy where everything is fabulous all the time.

Glad you survived cleaning the trailer out, that does sound like a miserable way to spend a day in FL. A/C is pretty essential, especially in the summer!

I know a lot of people who move here miss the seasons, but I must say that I found the extreme weather fluctuations of the North to be a lot for my body to take. Pretty much, as soon as your body adjusts to one climate, it's already changed again. You can go from 100 degrees and humid in the Summer, to -10 degrees and bone dry in Winter, and a lot of up and down in between. It's too much drama for me, I am more comfortable even if the heat and humidity are kind of extreme, because the body only acclimates once and then it stays pretty consistent all year - especially here in far SFL where it never freezes. Up North I used to feel like a tree that was having its sap squeezed out of it - hot in the middle of the day, cold at night, hot, cold, hot cold, hot cold... argh... even as a young person it made my bones ache (especially the ones that had frostbite over them previously)!

In the past 6 years here, I have never seen a temp lower than 38, or one higher than 96, and the majority of it was somewhere in the 80s with maybe 70% humidity. It is more comfortable I think when you are so used to it that your body has adjusted and knows what to expect every day. Then any day that hits 70 degrees and 50% humidity makes you run to put your sweater on, lol.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:23 PM

733 posts, read 1,294,633 times
I love Florida and do not regret moving here one second. It all just fits me very well. I can't imagine living anywhere else.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:49 PM

9,671 posts, read 6,964,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
I wish everybody did this - sadly, it's not even a majority who do their due diligence, for their own life. And I get what DanielAvery is saying, because the people who bother to at least check C-D before they get the Uhaul, generally phrase their questions like the responsibility for their life going well is on strangers, and then usually don't give a lot of specifics to help us help them. You do want to say sometimes - um, it's YOUR life, how do you not even care enough to figure out how much a move will cost, or to have at least visited before you move? You don't even know me, and you want me to tell you where you're going to be happy based on a paragraph?

Then these are the type of people posting new threads as a resident warning everyone else not to move to FL because it's terrible, it's "impossible to make it." And yet, here we are, quite a few of us who did a lot of research FIRST, and are very happy with our moves to FL - including those of us from big cities up North. I don't think that's a coincidence! You get from life what you put into it - if you put in some time to make sure you'll be comfortable before the big transition, it will probably all go pretty well in the end. There will still be some struggle of adjustment, but it won't be a shock at least, and you'll know you can survive it.
I don't know about you, but I view the posts on CD mostly as entertainment- while there are many posters who provide excellent information in their comments, ( including you- one of the best, IMO), we all know there are the others, whose "information", opinions and sometimes opinions presented as "fact" (and some folks can't tell the difference), is best taken with a very large grain of salt.

But no matter how great, or factual, the information presented by a poster may be, IMO it'd just be a starting point for someone looking to do their own research, check out things for themselves, relative to their own situation, settings and needs. Great information gives the reader something to think about, to check out further, but someone would be foolish to depend totally on information presented by CD posters to make any kind of life decisions, including moving to a totally new area. I'd really hope no one does that!

Old 06-03-2014, 02:34 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,484,250 times
My all time fave was the thread from the single mother of 2 kids looking for the best section 8 housing in Sarasota, plus the places to register for WIC, welfare, food stamps, because she wanted to be a stay at home mother. Where it's warm.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I don't know about you, but I view the posts on CD mostly as entertainment- while there are many posters who provide excellent information in their comments, ( including you- one of the best, IMO), we all know there are the others, whose "information", opinions and sometimes opinions presented as "fact" (and some folks can't tell the difference), is best taken with a very large grain of salt.

But no matter how great, or factual, the information presented by a poster may be, IMO it'd just be a starting point for someone looking to do their own research, check out things for themselves, relative to their own situation, settings and needs. Great information gives the reader something to think about, to check out further, but someone would be foolish to depend totally on information presented by CD posters to make any kind of life decisions, including moving to a totally new area. I'd really hope no one does that!
Considering this thread, I don't think there could be any doubt that I find C-D Florida threads entertaining, lol!

And thank you for the compliment!

Certainly no one should base their entire life on the internet... but we all know that there are people who do just that, whether by diagnosing themselves on medical sites, deciding where to move their family on C-D, or getting financial advice from some poorly constructed yahoo business article. Most people know it is only one tool of many to use for research - and some are lucky to even do that little amount of research before tossing their life to the wind, as they would perhaps in the days of libraries just skipped the asking of questions altogether and went for it. The internet, after all, can be asked in a matter of minutes. The library probably took at least half an hour.

The part that gets me are the people who ask the internet (in this case, C-D) as if it will be deciding their fate - and then have the gall to contradict all the answers they get back and insist they know better! Then why did you ask the question, freak? LOL

People will say:
"I have never been to Miami. Is it true that all of the women who live there are really superficial and no guys get dates who don't own a 100k+ car?"
And then when people answer that person to correct their misguided stereotypes and rampant misinformation, this idiot OP will say:
"Miami is absolutely materialistic, and there is no doubt the women are a part of that. There is no way you can get a date without a luxury sports car! I heard this from my friend in Wichita, who has a cousin who went to college there, so I know! You are all naive fools, you're just bitter because you don't have that kind of money so you can't get a date!"

Ummm.... OK.

Two types of people post these threads, which are rampant on C-D:

1. Trolls
2. The eternally and hopelessly ignorant

Often you can't tell that you're dealing with this kind of person until after you reply, because they'll phrase their question as if they really want help, as if they really want to learn about a place they've never been to, as if they really want to know the answer.

Q: "What city can I move to in FL that has no hurricanes ever? I am terrified of them, and could not survive seeing one on the news heading toward my area! But I want to be within an hour of the beach."

A: "All of Florida is in a hurricane zone, there is no city in FL that is guaranteed to be safe from them. All have been hit or brushed at one time or another. But some areas are hit more frequently, or are more vulnerable to severe flooding, than others."

Reply (OP): "I am sure there is SOMEPLACE that is safe from hurricanes. You don't know what you're talking about! I am going to move to FL anyway, and I will find the one place (on the beach) that never gets them and laugh at you! You have such a small life to try to crush other people's dreams! I will keep posting new threads to ask this question and tell everyone they're idiots until I get the one person (who lives in Minnesota) who will reply telling me Tallahassee is the place I am looking for, and then I will point out how that person is the only sane person in all of C-D's Florida forum. A year later after I have moved to Tallahassee I will post numerous threads complaining about FL's outrageous wind insurance costs and that the state is impossible to afford, and is a total cesspool. I will then call everyone who does not agree with me that FL is a hellhole to live in, an idiot."

A: "OK... Good luck with that."

Old 06-04-2014, 07:02 AM

3,926 posts, read 4,744,170 times
People complain about the heat and humidity in FL. Here in DFW, it was already in the 90s with 90% humidity. Today, just west of DFW, the high will be 104 in Wichita Falls.

As I tell my kids, qittcherbitchin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or