U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 09:50 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,141,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I remember visiting New Orleans in June a number of years ago. At the time the weather was hot, and humid, and unlike Miami ( or at least where we lived in Miami) there was not one iota of a breeze to at least mitigate the heat and humidity. I remember thinking at the time that I didn't think it was possible to find a place hotter than Florida in the summer, but there it was, right there in NOLA.
I went to a place called Townsend Ga last Aug. The heat was so thick we had people from South Florida and Cuba passing out. I've never felt a heat like that in my life. It was stifling and oppressive. No one single breeze to cut it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 11:10 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,131,468 times
Uh, we're losing focus here. Thread is about people who are ill-prepared for their move to FL in rather hilarious ways, not about being ill-prepared for the move to Death Valley...

Old 06-06-2014, 12:16 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,424,597 times
I brought two ice scraper/snow brush combos with me to Floriduh, because it was snowing when I left. Should I keep them in case of climate change?

Also, it's been hurricane season almost all week, how much longer must we wait?

Old 06-06-2014, 12:55 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,131,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
I brought two ice scraper/snow brush combos with me to Floriduh, because it was snowing when I left. Should I keep them in case of climate change?

Also, it's been hurricane season almost all week, how much longer must we wait?

LOL, I don't think the expectation is for the climate to change in THAT direction... I am thinking FL should start a fund for snowbrush/ice scraper collection. On nearly every block in the state, there have to be multiple people with ice scrapers in their car who just don't want to throw them out. Maybe they could be donated to people back up North, a snowbrush recycle program of sorts?

--
As for hurricane season, we have had one hell of a drought down here, especially in far SFL. It doesn't seem to be shifting back to rain 3x/day too quickly. However, take note that last year, Tropical Storm Andrea caused some flooding and wind damage on June 5th!

In 1966, 2 tropical storms back to back piled a record 21" of rain on Miami by the end of June! That had to be some crazy flooding...

And FYI, here is a list of hurricanes that hit FL in June:
June Hurricanes In Florida History | jacksonville.com

It may not be known to be our worst month, but even in June and without a single hurricane, we can still have a mess on our hands...

Of course at the moment, we have brush fires, dried up wetlands, and a ton of dead trees. And my huge seagrape lost all its grapes! They turned black and fell off, because it has been too thirsty for way too many months.

One thing new transplants don't often realize is that while half of the year is the rainy season, the other half is the dry season. So 6 months of the year actually have desert-like conditions, with often no rain at all for a long time.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:51 PM

9,661 posts, read 6,959,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Hmmm learn somethung every day. So we in Central Florida can now say it gets hotter up here than in Miami. I know we have hit 102 a few times since I have lived here in Brevard county.
I sometimes compare the temperatures in Miami and SW Florida, where I now live, just to see if there are any differences. My impression is that Miami is a few degrees cooler than SW Florida during the day, and about 7-8 degrees warmer at night. We're somewhat inland, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing is true for Central FL vs. Miami.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:06 PM

6,119 posts, read 3,054,492 times
Regarding the more misguided (or just plain dense) folks who post these "I hate Florida but I'm moving here, tell me where to live" type posts, I think the best thing they could do (but rarely do it) is peruse the first three or four pages of postings in the various "areas" of Florida on C-D, looking to see if any of the titles interest them. It seems to some that if it's not on the first page, then it doesn't exist. Some of the slower sections might have only a handful of regular contributors, and they might be really happy to have "guests" to talk to. The search function can be helpful, also, if you can figure out some really specific words to search.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:18 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,858,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegolfer View Post
Here's a fun trivia.

Q: What Buffalo (NY), Honolulu and Miami (FL) have in common?

A: Never broke 100 degrees in history.
Miami has broken 100:

All-time Record Hottest and Coldest Temperatures Ever Recorded in Miami - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Buffalo has only made it to 99:

Average Weather for Buffalo, NY - Temperature and Precipitation

Robyn

Old 06-07-2014, 06:21 AM

1,587 posts, read 2,113,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Well - we moved to Florida a year ago - even after reading the very negative posts - I wanted to be near the beaches, love the hot weather and slow pace of life - I do not regret it one bit - my husband has a good job - fairly secure because no matter where you live no job is secure anymore - so far we love it - but we researched a lot - cost of living, cost of homes, homeowners insurance, flood insurance if needed, high electric bills, high taxes on a home (though nowhere near as high as some areas) - not as cheap to live here as most people think. $400 bucks to register a car - people really need to think about what they are doing - and NEVER come down here without a job secured or you will be very sorry.

Do you know how long you can drive w/ out of state plates/license before required to register car in FLA?

Old 06-07-2014, 06:32 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,858,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
...Of course at the moment, we have brush fires, dried up wetlands, and a ton of dead trees. And my huge seagrape lost all its grapes! They turned black and fell off, because it has been too thirsty for way too many months.

One thing new transplants don't often realize is that while half of the year is the rainy season, the other half is the dry season. So 6 months of the year actually have desert-like conditions, with often no rain at all for a long time.
Agree with your observations about seasonal weather patterns. But don't you water when your plants/trees need it? Even our native stuff needs some water. We lost a ton of plants/trees during the late 90's drought because we weren't allowed to water enough (emergency water restrictions) - and I hope never to lose such a substantial % of landscaping again.

FWIW - a lot of people don't understand the scope of the fire threat here during the dry season - especially in WUI (wild urban interface) areas:

Florida County Evacuated on Fear of Merged Fires - NYTimes.com

Robyn

Old 06-07-2014, 06:39 AM

993 posts, read 3,564,228 times
I stand corrected.

I originally used this source: https://www.sercc.com/climateinfo/hi...ecordhigh.html, which states 98 as the record high for Miami.

Weather.com (which you used for Buffalo record high) also states 98 as the record high for Miami.
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...graph/USFL0316

But no big deal.

Last edited by acegolfer; 06-07-2014 at 06:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or