U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 11:43 PM

703 posts, read 1,042,402 times
Question Florida's white spiders: harmless?

They love to crawl all over my car. A large one (1") jumped on my lap when I opened the door. Fortunately it didn't bite.

I once found a large (3") brown spider in my bathtub. I almost stepped on it when I tried to shower. I have no idea if it was a brown recluse, but any spider that big is scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 06:43 AM

3 posts, read 44,758 times
keep a can of hornet wasp spray around, any other sparay is slow to work, this stuff will disable a spyder in 5 seconds. they will start to slow down and it will kill them in 1 min.
If a spyder scares you this will alow you to kill at a distance. Like a 44 mag on a masked man.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:27 AM

1 posts, read 40,786 times
I have had these little white spiders dropping down over my gas grill. Im not sure they are exclusive to S. Fla though. I had them in a house up in northern NY or at least a close relative of little pest. I have yet to irradicate them as I have not been bitten. I have not been able to find any info on the little bugger. Your post is the first reference I have found.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:17 PM

79 posts, read 193,691 times
I have these spiders all over my car too, and I live in NY. They are harmless.. they like to live in the trees, and occasionally they find their way to your home or vehicle. I have dealt with them for years.. nothing to worry about!

Old 08-10-2008, 08:45 PM

1,782 posts, read 4,705,321 times
I think the only spiders you have to worry about are the black widow, Brown widow and recluse spiders. Those white ones are fine.

The spider in your tub was most likely a wolf spider, Recluse spiders are small, less then 1 inch. Also Recluse spiders have a purple violin shape on the thorax area.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:41 AM

4,679 posts, read 4,961,768 times
Those damn Wolf Spiders are one thing I REALLY don't miss...

I don't like having standoffs with pests...

Old 08-11-2008, 12:55 PM

1,782 posts, read 4,705,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Those damn Wolf Spiders are one thing I REALLY don't miss...

I don't like having standoffs with pests...

Heck ya I don`t really like spiders period and the wolf spiders even thou harmless look menacing.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:00 AM

1 posts, read 40,643 times
Default long legged white spider in Panama City, FL

what kind of spider is this? it has very long legs and a thin body and had made a web on a rose bush next to my entry door. was pretty freaked out! had a few black spots on it. was not a black widow. was mostly white! any clues?

Old 08-30-2008, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 40,479 times
Default It's called the 'cream house spider'

I had one crawling on my wall, this morning, @ 3 a.m.
I was so freaked out, I captured it in a glass (put the glass over it, covered the glass with a lid) and went to my back porch and released it.
I do not like any bug in my house, 'friendly' or no.
I found a site: What's That Bug: Spiders
by typing in 'white spiders'. They say that the cream house spiders
do bite, not deadly, but painfull and taking a long time to heal.

here's another site, with pics of one:
www.webshots.com/search?query=Cream+House+Spider

I am SO glad I let that creepy thing outside, and hopefully she/he won't come back...if I see one again, I may be forced to kill it.

I hope she/he stays outside. more bugs out there, anyhow, right?

well now we know what they're officially called, though I haven't yet found the scientific name. at any rate: though not deadly: they DO bite, and it IS painful, and can take a long time to heal...

spiders are not my friends...RAID and OFF are my friends.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:32 PM

1 posts, read 37,518 times
i was just cleaning out my garage and i came across one big black spider(not a widow) and i smushed that one but i picked up my laundry after and there was a huge brown spider on my laudry. Not knowing about the wasp spray i had a standoff with the spider with home defence. im so grossed out i cant go back to the garage for a bit. but i was wondering what was that brown one, it was about midsize of your palm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida