U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2014, 05:40 PM

4,978 posts, read 7,271,609 times

Advertisements

The bugs have been downright biblical this Spring/early Summer, it's disgusting.

I'm talking swarms of gnats everywhere I've never seen anything like it.
Also, I'm an avid runner and run every evening around a large circle in my development....and the bug clouds are so bad I physically cannot run without getting bugs in my eyes, stuck to my face and clothes, all over my neck, it is freaking the worst I have EVER seen and I've lived in Florida for 12 years.

Literally, I come in from a run and I'm sure I've eaten dozens of bugs. There are gnats all over my face, stuck to my neck, in my eyes, im sure I've breathed them in as well..I have black specs all over my face and eyes...it really bothers me now.

and not only that but the ants too!!! I've been bitten by ants and the bites are viscious. They swell up, blister and then go away. takes about 4 or 5 days tho.

I'm getting really sick of these bugs and i'm beginning to hate them. I can't go outside without being bitten, or swarmed. I can't run, I cant exercise in the little field we have because there are ants everywhere the air is thick with gnats. it's honestly enough to make me call it quits on the outdoor activities and no im not exaggerating.... this is the worst I have ever seen it..

what gives? Anyone have any ideas? I wish they had trucks going around spraying those little bastards they're excessive. There is not one single inch of ground NOT covered in bugs whether its ants, spiders, gnats, bugs, butterflies, whatever it is. ugh. . .

and this field im talking about....is just an open grass field...so when I walk through it... I must look like some butterfly god because every step I take butterflies come up from the ground and fly away so as I walk im surrounded by butterflies coming up from the ground, it's kinda cool, but my god! enough with the dang bugs.

I come in sweaty and covered in bugs. I'm seriously ready to give it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 10:02 PM

4,978 posts, read 7,271,609 times
amirite or amirite?

Old 06-05-2014, 01:56 AM

34,239 posts, read 41,261,292 times
Must give newcomers to Florida the " why did no one tell us about the bugs " attitude.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:19 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,110,720 times
Not a problem for me when I run. Did notice a few gnats yesterday while waxing the car in the shade. Love bugs haven't been as bad as before. Maybe it's you and whatever scent you might be putting off.....

Old 06-05-2014, 06:18 AM

437 posts, read 493,297 times
Just consider it extra protein to your diet

Old 06-05-2014, 06:54 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,863,452 times
Bugs haven't been worse than normal where I live. But it's not even mosquito season here yet (rain has been sparse). Why don't you try bug spray and perhaps even one of those hospital masks over your mouth/nose?

Where are you getting the fire ant bites (I assume they're fire ants from your description)? Do you know how to identify fire ant nests (and stay away from them)? If you're talking about running in that open field - perhaps you should change your running route to a paved surface. Robyn

Old 06-07-2014, 07:24 AM

1,699 posts, read 3,537,860 times
It appears there are some people experiencing the same thing as you, OP: Suddenly Bug bites galore

Old 06-07-2014, 10:39 AM

910 posts, read 1,744,198 times
Not a lot of bugs in our area (Vero Beach). There were a few lovebugs earlier in Spring but right now hardly any of them, and this is normally lovebug season. It's been dry here lately so that probably is a factor.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:09 PM

21,114 posts, read 30,196,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLark7 View Post
Not a lot of bugs in our area (Vero Beach). There were a few lovebugs earlier in Spring but right now hardly any of them, and this is normally lovebug season. It's been dry here lately so that probably is a factor.
Same here in the Lake Mary/Sanford area. The lovebug season was nowhere near normal and we have had few mosquitoes despite decent rainfall.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:35 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,207,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLark7 View Post
I recently read that the love bug season this spring was light because of a wet and cold winter. Apparently the larvae dont do well when its too wet and cold under the leaves and debris on the ground where they live.

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/2...ve-bug-decline
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida