Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 06:36 PM

14,799 posts, read 11,940,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
Reading is very important, rather than simply making up things you want other posters to have said.

In the very first two sentences of the entire thread I said - one, this is a bit of a joke, which several people obviously got, and which obviously flew way over the heads of several other responders. And two, I never said it was a majority of Floridians. I simply said it was a strong segment. And some the responses here - most insanely over the top - have certainly proven that right.

Again, a sense of humor will go a long way. If you really want to live longer, cultivate that, not your ammo supply.
And perhaps you could take your own advice here regarding the comment about NYCers' depending on the government for everything, eh?

Far as I am concerned, if I think it's funny ( and I don't have to have someone else point out to me what I should think is funny), I'll laugh. If I don't, I won't. The other option is always to disregard, or ignore comments you think are just a waste of time. Your last few posts, IMO are skating right along that edge....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 06:53 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,112,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
The only "density" of the population is along the coast lines. The middle portion of the state does not suffer from a density of population except major cities such as Orlando, Ocala, and probably no others.''

Since it has been well established that most people living in FL are not from here it would seem that the extremist mentality exists nationwide but becomes concentrated in FL since the population is from elsewhere.

Look at the national picture.
I don't see a lot of what the OP is talking about, no offense, but seems a little over the top to me. Home invasions do happen here from time to time.

With that said, a person's subjective reality is their subjective reality. If it's that bad for the OP, then perhaps another location would be in order.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:03 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,187,568 times
:shrug: Maybe it's the heat and humidity.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Your post really made me laugh! I will never understand the "culture of fear" that you describe.

Get ADT and stop believing in Zombies. I don't know, relax, enjoy the sun and have a strong tropical beverage.

That's what I do when in Florida.

But then, I don't live there full time.

I have never encountered this in FL. After last Winter, which hit us with such a ferocity that I currently suffer from PTSD when I see a picture of a wintery landscape; we are thinking of getting a second home in Florida.

However, I have no desire to spend a month or two around dooms day people or "preppers".

My guess is that the transient nature of Florida and the fact that everyone there, or many people there, come from some place else, thus raising the level of suspicion.

Since I'm interested in having a second home, and I am decidedly disinterested in living around these folks, can you tell me in what part of the state these individuals live in perpetual fear?

Because I can tell you, I don't want to be anywhere near there. Nor do I ever want to debate "dooms day scenarios" with such people. I may as will stay home, shovel snow, and freeze my a$$ off.
I'd seriously doubt you'd ever run into such folks no matter when you visit Florida. I've lived in Florida for close to 40 years, and have never run into, or even discussed such matters with anyone else here. Not sure what the purpose of the OP's post was, but it doesn't reflect any but his own apparent reality...

Old 06-06-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
Like Travelassie mentioned, I too have lived here over 35 years and have not really met any of these "extreme" folks that you met. But I lived through Andrew, Katrina, Wilma and a whole lot of other storms and know what it is to be as long as a month without power and the roads unpassable with no power in the grocery stores.

Lucky for us that as bad as Andrew was, we learned a lot of lessons so now most Publix supermarkets have generators, gas stations also have generators for the pumps and building codes have made our homes stronger and able to withstand hurricane winds cat 3 or lower, all bets are off with a cat 4 or 5.

But you live in the keys and we really haven't had a major storm since Wilma so you might not have been around to witness the madness that ensues right before and after a storm.

Yup, that self-sufficiency and preparation goes a very long way towards being ready for the next hurricane or whatever comes our way.
And preparation for the aftermath of those disasters, which have a tendency to bring out both the best and the worst of human nature, not to mention disaster areas being magnets to lowlives out to take advantage of others when they're down, for their own gain.

We had our van stolen two weeks after hurricane Andrew- from the apartment we were living in close to downtown, found it stripped and everything in it missing, a few hours in Liberty City....

Had our house, severely damaged by Andrew so it couldn't be secured, systematically looted and anything we couldn't take with us or couldn't put in storage stolen on the days we couldn't be there. This went on for a little over a year. Regarding the storage, there wasn't any close by, and we couldn't locate any till the contractor found a place in Jupiter, approximately 3 months after the storm.

We had a number of windows on our almost rebuilt house broken, the house broken into and the inside vandalized- graffiti on the newly painted walls and on our new kitchen cabinets. After everything else, I really did want to sit in the house in the dark with a shotgun and pop off the lowlives who were likely to come back and do some more damage.

Those were just the highlights, and we weren't the only folks to which this kind of stuff happened. But it does tend to put the kaboshe, IMO on the mentality that one just ought to enjoy life and never worry that life will be anything but idyllic in sunny Florida....

Old 06-06-2014, 07:52 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,874,531 times
Once again, if we could please be respectful of others and keep on topic. This thread is in the Florida forum because it is about Floridians.

And if you don't enjoy the joke, as several people obviously do, then please refrain from posting to a thread that was meant to be light-hearted. You are dragging people down, and wasting your own beautiful Florida day! Try not to take yourself so seriously! Life is too short not to laugh as often at you can, even at the stuff that is messed up.

And as I've said a billion times, I love living in FL, so stop defending a few people who have crazy arsenals, and cease taking it personally. If you're not currently preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse, I'm obviously not talking about you!

Old 06-06-2014, 08:04 PM

if
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I had to come back to this today because last night I found out that 3 of my neighbors are loaded with survival supplies and are preparing for a SHTF scenario. You can keep deflecting this argument thinking its' prevalent to just Florida (and I can't figure out why you keep doing this) but I can assure you that this type of behavior is not just prevalent to Florida. It isn't just Florida. Just because you were oblivious too it in your previous places, doesn't mean it wasn't happening. I'm just now seeing it in Utah. But I knew prior to yesterday that it wasn't non-existent. You are extremely naive and I don't expect that to change anytime soon.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I had the impression that a large number of those folks preparing their survival plans were from the western states, ie, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, perhaps- wide open spaces and strongly anti-government independent folks, or something like that. I'd not be surprised, from what I am reading, to find there are "survivalists" in about every state in the union, except, perhaps, from the "enlightened" northeastern states where they look down on the rest of us anyway, LOL. And buy into the nanny-state mentality that says Big Guv will provide.....

I don't think that preparation is a bad thing, indeed if there is a natural or man made disaster coming down the pike, the more that prepare for it, the more will survive it.

But I have to laugh at the idea of bunkers in Florida- they wouldn't be of much use to hide out in, unless one can swim really well, considering the water table in most of Florida is no more than 6 feet deep in many areas. And forget storing anything in those bunkers, LOL.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
:shrug: Maybe it's the heat and humidity.
Heatstroke?

Old 06-06-2014, 08:11 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,187,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Heatstroke?
Possibly...or the overly dramatic news reports...

Old 06-06-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
Once again, if we could please be respectful of others and keep on topic. This thread is in the Florida forum because it is about Floridians.

And if you don't enjoy the joke, as several people obviously do, then please refrain from posting to a thread that was meant to be light-hearted. You are dragging people down, and wasting your own beautiful Florida day! Try not to take yourself so seriously! Life is too short not to laugh as often at you can, even at the stuff that is messed up.

And as I've said a billion times, I love living in FL, so stop defending a few people who have crazy arsenals, and cease taking it personally. If you're not currently preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse, I'm obviously not talking about you!
So now it's all a joke, eh? Reading the comments here it's not clear to me who's enjoying your attempt at humor here ( keep your day job) except maybe the guy who's posting pics of his bunker and ammo, and possible the couple of FL-naysayers who haunt these threads about Florida... whatever....

But just to point out a few facts, after which I'm done with this thread, and you, as well.

1) Responses to your comments that you don't like or agree with does not necessarily mean that the responder is taking the comment personally. The responder may be refuting an inaccuracy in the comment, voicing his/her own opinion in the matter.

2) Disagreeing with another's comments does not constitute disrespect for others. I saw no comments in this thread in which one poster made personal or ad hominem attacks on others.

3) A post is not "off topic" when it mentions other states to refute your stated argument that "survivalist" fanatics are concentrated in Florida but not so much in other states. Your claim that it is is your attempt to minimize any dissension towards your premise about the "Florida Apocalypse".

Your thread here, and your sorry reaction to dissenting responses ( you called them "defensive", and the folks who posted them "obsessed with survivalism",) remind me of the middle school kid out to poke fun at the schoolmate who's wearing WalMart brand sneakers in the wrong color. When the taunts don't get you the reaction you'd hoped for, you retreat into that old standby, "hey, it was just a JOKE, can't you take a JOKE? So it's all funny, except, of course, for that offhand tongue-in cheek comment another poster made about the reliance of NYer's on government. That, you dumped all over...... apparently offended beyond measure.

So you create and try your best to control as many threads as you can get away with, if that is what floats your boat. As I said before, I regarded your previous posts as well written and informative, and enjoyed reading them. But if the posts in this thread are what your contributions have become, I won't be reading or responding to them anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida