Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 06:56 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You are so full of beans. ANYONE who dared talked like that and it was overheard in a public place in NY would have found their teeth on sidewalk.

I guess all the news footage of American flags being waived at the firefighters and flags going up all over NY was make believe?

I was out of the country during 9/11 in Europe and while there was some who thought America should turn the other cheek, I don't recall anyone saying America deserved it. I flew into Boston(which I believe is north of NY) and never saw so many American flags.

You may have heard one conversation about America deserving it(and that is somewhat doubtful) but I don't believe you that you heard more than one.

But that is load of crap about not seeing any American flags until you go to the south.

I realize you lie for your livelihood, but please.
Cross my heart and hope to die. It's true. UWS uber liberal people from Julliard. When I heard the young people at the table next to us saying this - I got up - and spoke my mind - perhaps in a somewhat immoderate tone. And the youngest woman at the table started to cry. And the older people (although not very old) - mostly guys - at the table - said she had never met a Republican before . I thought it very bizarre - but what I'm saying is 100% true.

Also - on 9/12 - well our hotel was on Central Park South - and people were running - skate boarding - whatever people usually do in Central Park on a normal week day - as if nothing at all had happened.

My husband and I found the whole situation very odd. We were happy to get home. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 06:57 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Agreed. Moments after the 9/11 incident America became one. Flags were everywhere. Patriotism was at the highest point Ive ever seen.

Quote:
You are so full of beans. ANYONE who dared talked like that and it was overheard in a public place in NY would have found their teeth on sidewalk.

I guess all the news footage of American flags being waived at the firefighters and flags going up all over NY was make believe?

I was out of the country during 9/11 in Europe and while there was some who thought America should turn the other cheek, I don't recall anyone saying America deserved it. I flew into Boston(which I believe is north of NY) and never saw so many American flags.

You may have heard one conversation about America deserving it(and that is somewhat doubtful) but I don't believe you that you heard more than one.

But that is load of crap about not seeing any American flags until you go to the south.

I realize you lie for your livelihood, but please.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:05 AM

What would you have expected the populace to do besides go on with their lives?
New Yorkers are very resilient. I dont recall anyone in FL not carrying on in a normal
fashion.

As far as the kiddies you ran in on thew UWS, they are the first to turn and run when the chips are down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Cross my heart and hope to die. It's true. UWS uber liberal people from Julliard. When I heard the young people at the table next to us saying this - I got up - and spoke my mind - perhaps in a somewhat immoderate tone. And the youngest woman at the table started to cry. And the older people (although not very old) - mostly guys - at the table - said she had never met a Republican before . I thought it very bizarre - but what I'm saying is 100% true.

Also - on 9/12 - well our hotel was on Central Park South - and people were running - skate boarding - whatever people usually do in Central Park on a normal week day - as if nothing at all had happened.

My husband and I found the whole situation very odd. We were happy to get home. Robyn

Old 06-08-2014, 09:02 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,896,715 times
I am surprised that this thread has become popular - I expected it to be a small joke with a few sarcastic posts random people might make afterwards, and then to die like most threads. Even people who say they are done with the thread, continue to post on the thread.

I no longer have interest in the thread, it was a minor point just for the moment, not a major statement I was making. But it has since devolved into people criticizing people in other states, people discussing 9-11 in NYC, people making personal attacks on myself and others, and a whole lot of stuff that is either off-topic or super negative. It also now hosts people threatening others with violence and pictures of their actual arsenals of guns. In a climate when our nation is overrun with mass shootings, I hardly think that is appropriate.

I am frustrated that I have taken the time to create numerous positive threads about FL in the past year. And virtually none of them get posts, even when I repeatedly bring them up again. However, the few negative threads I make that are a bit tongue-in-cheek, get masses of negative posts piled onto them. It is clear that many people on C-D, and certainly many people in the Florida forum in particular, only want to argue and criticize and personally attack others, and don't actually want to contribute to the more fun posts. That is a disappointment. But I am not going to waste my time on it. So, for my own peace of mind, I am returning to the positive threads exclusively.

You are welcome to keep arguing with each other eternally if you want to.

JUST TO MAKE CLEAR, I AM LEAVING THIS THREAD BECAUSE IT IS NO FUN. DO NOT MAKE FURTHER POSTS ADDRESSING THE OP, AS I AM NO LONGER HERE OR READING. AND PLEASE STOP MAKING PERSONAL ATTACKS AND PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH, I WRITE A LOT OF WORDS SO THERE IS NO NEED TO GUESS AT WHAT I'M SAYING, I SAID IT ALREADY. I REFER YOU BACK TO MY OWN POSTINGS IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION. I DO NOT WISH ANYBODY HARM, AND NEVER POST ANYTHING TO DISRESPECT OR HARM OTHERS. I CERTAINLY DID NOT POST THIS TO OFFEND ANYONE, BUT SIMPLY TO POKE A LITTLE FUN. AND THOSE WHO GOT THE JOKE, ALREADY WROTE ME PRIVATELY TELLING ME THEY ENJOYED IT, OR ADDED TO MY REPUTATION. SO THERE'S NOTHING LEFT FOR ME TO ADD TO THE TOPIC. I THINK THE THREAD HAS OUTLASTED ITS USEFULNESS.

Good luck to all in preparing for the End. I hear zombies can be nice if you just show a little effort to respect their culture. And as I said previously, if you're not fighting zombies then this wasn't about you.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:29 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post

Now you have changed it to one table. In Post #76 you made it sound like it was the "residents of the UWS". So there were people in Central Park, there were also people packing the churches in NY(and in other places).

People all across America got up and went to school and work the next day.

And it certainly didn't prevent you from dining out. You weren't holed up in your hotel room.

I notice you didn't comment on how you didn't see your first American flag until you got to the south, because we both know(as does everyone else) that it simply isn't true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Agreed. Moments after the 9/11 incident America became one. Flags were everywhere. Patriotism was at the highest point Ive ever seen.
Exactly, never saw so many flags.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Miller View Post
Umm...nope. My ammo supply will enable me to take what I need from you (and your kind) if the situation arises/necessitates.

18k rounds and counting (just ordered another 420 rds. of 5.56.

Interesting that the photo shown is the 2nd in line on Goggle Images. With the same tag line.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:43 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Now you have changed it to one table. In Post #76 you made it sound like it was the "residents of the UWS". So there were people in Central Park, there were also people packing the churches in NY(and in other places).

People all across America got up and went to school and work the next day.

And it certainly didn't prevent you from dining out. You weren't holed up in your hotel room.

I notice you didn't comment on how you didn't see your first American flag until you got to the south, because we both know(as does everyone else) that it simply isn't true.

Exactly, never saw so many flags.

If I recall those days after 9/11, there was an emphasis on NOT letting the terrorists get the best of the USA or it's people, NOT to let them ruin our lives, take down the infrastructure because that's exactly what terrorists intend in the acts they perpetrate. The general feeling, if I remember, was one of determination to go on with our lives, not as though this tragedy had never happened, but determined that the terrorists would not make us cower in fear, afraid to move or do anything. Determined to go on, wary but with a resolution to prosper despite the attacks against us.

If I recall we got the message that it would be the worst thing to do to stop, not go on with our lives in response to the 9/11 attacks.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
What would you have expected the populace to do besides go on with their lives?
New Yorkers are very resilient. I dont recall anyone in FL not carrying on in a normal
fashion.

As far as the kiddies you ran in on thew UWS, they are the first to turn and run when the chips are down.
Can't say what people in Florida did on 9/11 and the few days after. Because I wasn't there. Didn't see many flags in Manhattan. Then again - most people there live in apartments and don't have flag holders. We were supposed to go home on 9/11. But we couldn't get out of Manhattan until 9/13 (when we were able to get a taxi to take us to Newark Airport where we rented a car and drove home). I remember this all with a lot of detail not only because of what happened to the country on 9/11 - and what I saw in Manhattan that day - but for various reasons having to do with life events (birthday/anniversary) and the circumstances of our arrival home (just after the Dames Point Bridge - the one we usually use to get home from the airport - had closed down as a result of an impending tropical storm). Have to commend the staff at the Olive Garden in Chesapeake Virginia (we overnighted there) for making the best of an otherwise dismal wedding anniversary.

There are certain events in one's life that are seared into one's memory. Both the events and all the minor details of what one was doing/did then. For me - when it comes to national things - 9/11 and the day President Kennedy was assassinated are the 2 biggies. Locally (obviously much less important - but still important in my life) - Hurricane Andrew and the Miami riots.

The OP here was about a survivalist mentality. Hurricane Andrew taught me the most about that. Not personally - because my husband and I have money. We didn't wind up living in military tents eating MREs because our houses had been destroyed (we spent the 6 weeks before we could move back into our condo - short by the standards of many people we knew - in a Residence Inn). But our condo overlooked Mercy Hospital. And - every day for months - military helicopters ferried supplies to many less fortunate people living in those dismal military camps. Bottom line is people should always have money and supplies here to survive hurricanes.

9/11 - as bad as it was in many ways - only taught me to take a few extra pairs of underwear when I travel . Seriously. We - like thousands of other travelers stranded in New York - didn't have enough underwear. Every store - from the highest end to the lowest end - sold out of underwear fast. Also - places like Duane Reade had its prayers answered. It sold every pair of unsold beach flip flops that September. A lot of women (thousands and thousands) had to walk from downtown to midtown and then walk over over the Queensboro Bridge to get to the part of the public transportation system that was functioning. Kind of hard to do in high heels. Funny the things one remembers.

As far as the UWS kiddies are concerned - hope I never run into them again. I was pretty outraged at the time - and - like I said - made one young woman cry. If I had had a couple of drinks in me - I probably would have punched her. Robyn

Last edited by Robyn55; 06-08-2014 at 03:38 PM..

Old 06-08-2014, 04:07 PM

What was so hilarious regarding the subject?

I dont think anything flew over anybody's head. You thought that FL was a hotbed of preppers and
survivalists. Most of us explained that is not true at all.

There is nothing wrong with being a prepper or a survivalist.

I personally am concerned with less than apocalyptic situations because I feel in an apocalyptic situation there isnt going to be anything worth a damm to live for.

Situations can develop over anything. I watched Brooklyn fall apart during the 1977 NYC blackout.
I had a ring side seat in Flatbush. It was a free-for-all. Total chaos. The cops from the 67 precinct locked themselves inside and waited it out. If you were a shop owner you wished you had weapons and ammunition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
Reading is very important, rather than simply making up things you want other posters to have said.

In the very first two sentences of the entire thread I said - one, this is a bit of a joke, which several people obviously got, and which obviously flew way over the heads of several other responders. And two, I never said it was a majority of Floridians. I simply said it was a strong segment. And some the responses here - most insanely over the top - have certainly proven that right.

Again, a sense of humor will go a long way. If you really want to live longer, cultivate that, not your ammo supply.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
What was so hilarious regarding the subject?

I dont think anything flew over anybody's head. You thought that FL was a hotbed of preppers and
survivalists. Most of us explained that is not true at all.

There is nothing wrong with being a prepper or a survivalist.

I personally am concerned with less than apocalyptic situations because I feel in an apocalyptic situation there isnt going to be anything worth a damm to live for.

Situations can develop over anything. I watched Brooklyn fall apart during the 1977 NYC blackout.
I had a ring side seat in Flatbush. It was a free-for-all. Total chaos. The cops from the 67 precinct locked themselves inside and waited it out. If you were a shop owner you wished you had weapons and ammunition.
I assume you're replying to post #84. OP hasn't been through a bad hurricane in Florida. Where people loot houses after owners evacuate. Or owners without means wind up living in military tents in August (no fun at all). Or apparently any period of serious civil unrest in Florida or elsewhere either. During the Miami riots in 1980 - the McDuffie riots (1980 Miami riots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) - we had been on vacation at Sanibel Island for a few days - and drove home to find the Miami skyline on fire. Couldn't drive home the normal way - on main highways. Had to detour through the streets of Little Havana. Where guys with guns were around everywhere prepared to deal with any troublemakers.

Note that I am not a survivalist strictly speaking. My husband and I moved from Miami quite a while ago to NE Florida. We wanted to build a house (we only lived in gated high rise condos in Miami) - without having to buy a gun. I don't want to live anywhere where I think I need to own a gun. Especially at my age - I'd be more likely to shoot my husband if he had to go to the bathroom at 3 am (which happens all the time) than a burglar (they pretty much don't exist where I live). Still - we keep hurricane supplies. And - especially - cash on hand to deal with any potential catastrophes (especially for hurricane evacuation expenses and relocation expenses if necessary). Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida