U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-14-2007, 11:57 PM

1 posts, read 20,670 times
Question I'm a 16 year old wanting to move out...

I'm 16 years old and have graduated... I want to set plans inmotion to move out of my parents house BUT I'm not exactly sure If its allowed. Can a 16 year old female move out of her parents house and get an apartment? Is it possible for the Teenager that moves out to be brought back by her parents?

My mother on many accastions has lied to me and told me thing I can't do because she is the parent. That i have found out I can do on my own at my age. Like the fact that theres not limitations to how many hours I can work. I do believe that I can get an apartment but i'm not clear... Its not like I'm moving super far from my mom and dad... 40-50 minutes farest... My parent live in Lehigh... And I'm looking to move to Fort Myers.

I gues my Qestion is... is there some law that says I cannot move out, can not get an apartment and a law that says what my parents say goes when it comes to moving out or staying.

Your comments and advice on the matter will be greatly apperciated!

Thanks,
Victoria

Old 12-15-2007, 12:10 AM

10,592 posts, read 21,375,023 times
Go and ask the apartment manager if you can rent an apartment. I am not sure but I think you might have to be an emancipated adult to do something like this.

http://www.enotes.com/everyday-law-e...a/emancipation

This link says the age of majority is 18 in Florida. I think you would have to apply to be an emancipated adult AND you have to have a good reason to push it through against your parents wishes.

http://www.laborlawtalk.com/archive/...hp/t-4697.html

This link says that at 16 you are indeed limited to the number of hours you can work.

I think you should consider staying at home, its VERY expensive to live on your own. In Florida you can get a college degree in two years that will allow you to make REAL money. That would be ALOT easier if you lived at home. You can apply for financial aide to have some of your own money AND of course there is a work study program where they will help you find a job that will fit in around your school schedule.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:34 AM

21,595 posts, read 29,623,312 times
You would have to be an emancipated adult, and only a court of law can declare you so. I was emancipated at 16.

And Lehigh to Fort Myers is 15 minutes to 25 minutes, depending on where you are coming from and where you want to go. Perhaps 30 minutes. I can't imagine 50 minutes. No.

There are limitations on how long a minor can work, even Wal-Mart is very aware of this, and follows it.

You have not really said why you want to move out of your parents house, I think.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:51 AM

2,313 posts, read 23,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torikillyou View Post
I'm 16 years old and have graduated... I want to set plans inmotion to move out of my parents house BUT I'm not exactly sure If its allowed. Can a 16 year old female move out of her parents house and get an apartment? Is it possible for the Teenager that moves out to be brought back by her parents?

My mother on many accastions has lied to me and told me thing I can't do because she is the parent. That i have found out I can do on my own at my age. Like the fact that theres not limitations to how many hours I can work. I do believe that I can get an apartment but i'm not clear... Its not like I'm moving super far from my mom and dad... 40-50 minutes farest... My parent live in Lehigh... And I'm looking to move to Fort Myers.

I gues my Qestion is... is there some law that says I cannot move out, can not get an apartment and a law that says what my parents say goes when it comes to moving out or staying.

Your comments and advice on the matter will be greatly apperciated!

Thanks,
Victoria
I don't think I would rent to a 16 year old under any circumstances. Either way, why is it so important you move out now? Also I don't get your screen name is there any meaning to it? Are you in a gang or something?

Old 12-15-2007, 07:44 AM

339 posts, read 724,883 times
To be emancipated in Florida you have to get your parents signature, prove that you are able to support yourself 100% (no roomates), and show that you are mature enough to handle money and so on.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:02 AM

1,411 posts, read 2,598,491 times
You may have graduated, but your written skills need some work before you'll get very far in the workforce. You might want to consider going to college or community college and being allowed to live on campus for the experience of "moving out" while still improving your education.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:08 AM

9,342 posts, read 15,595,044 times
A minor can not sign contracts, so I doubt that you would be able to rent a place.

Look into emancipation.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:24 AM

17 posts, read 61,187 times
Default Response

I tried to get emancipated when I was 16 but I lived in wAshington State which doesn't emancipate teenagers.

Now if you leave your parents can report you as a runaway and bring you back.

Even if you get emancipated not too many places are going to rent to you. You'll most likely have to find a private renter possibly even rent a room from someone.

Now I ran away when I was 17 and went to a city 3000 miles away. And believe me when I say anything that couold of went wrong did go wrong. I ended up homeless and on the streets. When I was 18 a I moved into a independant living program for teenagers. Ages 16-21. They taught us how to save. We paid rent. Taught us how to budget and take care of ourselves as young adults. Doesn't give you anymore freedom then when living with family actually less. But I learned alot.

Now I don't know why you want to move out Im sure you have your reasons. I wanted out terribly. And If I could of got along with my father I wish I had stayed home longer. Would of made College alot more possible for me. Instead I took the hard road and I left home early.

My advice is to think really long and hard. Once you leave it's a whole different world out there. And it not always nice. It can be extremley rough and even dangerous. If I had that road to take over I would make better decisions. And saved myself the pain.

Check into other options...living with a family member or a friend...even renting a room if you have to get out. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:35 AM

971 posts, read 2,514,734 times
I believe MacCauley Culkin was emancipated successfully (his parents were taking advantage of him financially due to his successful movie career)

Old 12-15-2007, 08:43 AM

274 posts, read 865,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
I don't think I would rent to a 16 year old under any circumstances. Either way, why is it so important you move out now? Also I don't get your screen name is there any meaning to it? Are you in a gang or something?

I imagine you say it as if you were a caveman Tori-kill-you as in her name is Tori, and she'll kill you. Thats how I read it.

As for education, I would say that would be a good benefit in 2 ways. You will not be able to afford living on your own if you do not further educate yourself, and at the same time, by educating yourself you can move onto a campus and get out of your house. Get loans if you have to for school and work during your free time. Dorm life is a hoot, and you will eventually be able to get your own place without straining yourself money-wise. If you get your own place now, you're looking at having to pull in around 300 dollars a week in order to JUST pay the bills (rent, utilities, cable/internet if you choose, a car? car insurance? phone bill? cell phone? all things that I think teenagers can't live without I'm sure) I'm with you on getting out of the house as early as possible, I moved out the day I graduated high school and never came back. I, however, chose to do the college route, and spent most of my time living on campus, while during breaks I would go stay with friends or have a summer apt with school friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida