U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 02:48 PM

3 posts, read 17,133 times

Advertisements

We moved here from Sterling Heights Michigan. The sub that we are in is wonderful for families and children. There is a club house with an awesome pool, a sports center (tennis, basketball, volleyball) and they have activities year round. Yesterday was the haunted maze, we went to a catered end of summer party at the club house that had entertainment for the kids and adults. There are many kids in this sub and the neighbors are great. Coming from Michigan we had to pay 50% more for a smaller house (no basement) but I am happy here. The taxes and insurance were a bit more but not as bad as I expected. The transition to a tropical climate made it all worth it. If I didn't move here my next city of choice would have been Winter Springs. Wherever you move I'm sure your kids will love it because there is so much to do here and Central Florida seems to focus on children - there are numerous activities, scholarships and programs centered around their well-being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2006, 07:31 AM

20 posts, read 77,203 times
Default get ready to bring your $

i live in lake mary and have lived in this area for 30 years now. it's too crowded now and too expensive for most people to be honest. unless you have at least $200-250k to spend on a decent small home you will have to rent. i got in before the values went way up. lake mary caters to the upscale crowd.

also the insurance hikes are about to take over after all the hurricanes so i would think about that also. seminole county schools are better than most in the area but my father just retired from the system and he says along with many other teachers i know that it's on its way down. kids just don't care anymore and there are so many foreign children to accommadate.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:01 AM

1,418 posts, read 9,352,722 times
There was just reported a car jacking at the Altamonte Mall, in broad daylight. They caught a teen driving the vehicle around in Pine Hills. FWIW

Old 10-31-2006, 08:03 AM

20 posts, read 77,203 times
yes it happened yesterday and stuff like that happens all the time these days. this is the world we live in now i am afraid!

Old 10-31-2006, 11:07 AM

112 posts, read 562,088 times
Smile I'm sorry, but where are you living? Altemonte Springs or Lake Mary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude View Post
We moved here from Sterling Heights Michigan. The sub that we are in is wonderful for families and children. There is a club house with an awesome pool, a sports center (tennis, basketball, volleyball) and they have activities year round. Yesterday was the haunted maze, we went to a catered end of summer party at the club house that had entertainment for the kids and adults. There are many kids in this sub and the neighbors are great. Coming from Michigan we had to pay 50% more for a smaller house (no basement) but I am happy here. The taxes and insurance were a bit more but not as bad as I expected. The transition to a tropical climate made it all worth it. If I didn't move here my next city of choice would have been Winter Springs. Wherever you move I'm sure your kids will love it because there is so much to do here and Central Florida seems to focus on children - there are numerous activities, scholarships and programs centered around their well-being.
Thank you for your information.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:28 PM

3 posts, read 17,133 times
Default Just Moved Myself

Oviedo (north of Orlando, east of Altamonte Springs).
Less than an hour away from Cape Canaveral, Daytona Beach, Disney etc.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:02 PM

15 posts, read 33,400 times
I lived in Longwood and went to Lake Mary High School. I moved to Michigan in 1986 and I am looking to move back , Hopefully to lake mary. Loved it 20 yrs ago and can't wait to go back.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:50 AM

Default Thank you for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuse View Post
Lake Mary is very nice area to live. I recently moved here from Oviedo, Fl. Lake Mary is very close to Heathrow, a very wealthy area. Lake Mary HS is very good for education. The city of sanford is right down the road from LM and is not a nice area. Stick with LM. Houses are decently priced compared to Ca. Condo's run from 150-250 depending on luxuries. Renting in LM is around 900-1500 depending on size, garage, appliances ect..
Browse real estate listing on the internet. Try and find a home with a pool because it is VERY HOT here in the summers. People here are friendly and professional. Most of the area here is offices and homes. Not a real lot of traffic. Very close to major highways ( I-4 and the 417), shopping, and entertainment. If you are into Disney....45 min. drive. Orlando Airport is 35 min. and Sanford-Orlando Airport is 10-15 min.

in my opinion....Florida is a great place to visit but not to live....I'm looking into moving back to the Northeast.

May I ask the reason you are moving back to the Northeast. I lived in the boston/NH area for about 13 years. It was great but had to move due to a job offer in San Diego that didn't quite work out.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:52 AM

Default Traffic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.boogie View Post
Be prepared for traffic and tolls!
Always carry quarters and dollar bills in your glove compartment.. otherwise your done for.

and did i mention traffic?! traffic?! traffic?!
of course thats the 4 and 417
Could it be worst than Los Angeles or Chicago? Because I experienced those and they are bad.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:55 AM

Default Thank you but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Check out Gainesville, FL. It's where the University of Florida is and the high schools are very good.
Might be too far from Orlando? And the job offer is in or around there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida