Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 11:14 AM

112 posts, read 602,380 times

Advertisements

Thinking of relocating to Florida. Around Orlando area. Checked out some HS and the best ones were around Altamonte Springs and Lake Mary. I currently live in Encinitas, Ca. I'm curious as to good and bad parts of Orlando and the cities I mentioned above. I don't want to move to a dangerous or scary part of the town. I have a 15yr. old daughter and an almost 2 yr. old daughter and desperatly need to know about the schools in the area. Please help give any information re:the High Schools and the idea of moving to Florida. Will is be more affordable than San Diego? Good or bad, just be honest. The HS that I found in the internet were Lake Bentley HS and Lake Mary HS.

Does anyone know how the standard of living in these areas in comparison to San Diego, Ca? Right now we cannot afford to live in San Diego. The thought of buying a home in San Diego is not even an option. For example:we were renting a 2 bedroom house, old, with old appliances etc. for $1850 month. Then after 4.5 yrs. they wanted to raise the rent (an additional $250 a month) $2100 month. Needless to say we didn't stay. Can we do better in Florida? Maybe afford a house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2006, 01:42 PM

302 posts, read 1,049,378 times
Lake Mary is very nice area to live. I recently moved here from Oviedo, Fl. Lake Mary is very close to Heathrow, a very wealthy area. Lake Mary HS is very good for education. The city of sanford is right down the road from LM and is not a nice area. Stick with LM. Houses are decently priced compared to Ca. Condo's run from 150-250 depending on luxuries. Renting in LM is around 900-1500 depending on size, garage, appliances ect..
Browse real estate listing on the internet. Try and find a home with a pool because it is VERY HOT here in the summers. People here are friendly and professional. Most of the area here is offices and homes. Not a real lot of traffic. Very close to major highways ( I-4 and the 417), shopping, and entertainment. If you are into Disney....45 min. drive. Orlando Airport is 35 min. and Sanford-Orlando Airport is 10-15 min.

in my opinion....Florida is a great place to visit but not to live....I'm looking into moving back to the Northeast.

Old 10-28-2006, 12:38 PM

22 posts, read 82,156 times
Be prepared for traffic and tolls!
Always carry quarters and dollar bills in your glove compartment.. otherwise your done for.

and did i mention traffic?! traffic?! traffic?!
of course thats the 4 and 417

Old 10-28-2006, 07:32 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,197,769 times
Check out Gainesville, FL. It's where the University of Florida is and the high schools are very good.

Old 10-29-2006, 10:10 AM

3 posts, read 18,905 times
Default Just Moved Myself

We just moved here too and had the same concerns. We also looked at Clermont, Lake Mary & Altamonte Springs but settled on Oviedo. My first priority was school system, not just because we have a teenage daughter but for resale as well. Seminole County schools is where you want to be, check into it. Clermont had a great new HS and was beautiful but was too far from where my husband works anyway. Altamonte Springs is insanely crazy with traffic although there is great shopping and restaurants there. Lake Marys downfall was the necessity of taking I-4 pretty much anywhere you want to go. You don't want to take I-4 if at all possible during peak hours. Check into that as well. Oviedo is a newer community right near UCF and we love it. They just built a new HS too. College is a bargain here for residents too. 417 is a toll road that you can buy a sunpass for, it may cost you a couple bucks a month but the road is a wonderful smooth uncrowded drive and runs through Oviedo and is way worth it.
Good Luck. By the way, I'm still getting used to how friendly everyone is here, it is amazing, and customer service is incredible no matter where you go here.

Old 10-29-2006, 04:21 PM

Default Thank you

Thank you for taking the time to respond. May I ask where you moved from? Oviedo HS was on my list too.

Old 10-29-2006, 07:21 PM

42 posts, read 76,642 times
Altamonte Springs is a bad animal I would avoid it. I would stick with Lake Mary or Longwood is very nice too.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:28 AM

Default More details , please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky View Post
Altamonte Springs is a bad animal I would avoid it. I would stick with Lake Mary or Longwood is very nice too.
Could you elaborate on why you think I should stay away from Altamonte Springs?

Old 10-30-2006, 11:38 AM

71 posts, read 272,809 times
Hi Encinitas-
We moved from San Diego in 04.
Housing is still very affordable here in comparison and we like it a lot.

Best of luck! kona

Old 10-30-2006, 01:03 PM

4 posts, read 19,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitas View Post
Could you elaborate on why you think I should stay away from Altamonte Springs?
two words: "traffic" and "overcrowded"

All the main roads through Altamonte are almost always crowded (436, 434, I-4). There is also virtually no open space in the immediate area (besides Cranes Roost Park, which is actually a very nice park).

Lake Mary and Longwood have a more open, semi-country feeling to them. And though those places are also crowded (what place in the Orlando area isn't), they are decidedly less crowded than Altamonte.

That would be my reasons for choosing Lake Mary or Longwood over Altamonte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida