Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 09:26 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times

Advertisements

As far as being bilingual, that will depend on the area you are working in and the type of work you do. If you want to work in a doctors office in Osceola County, they generally won't even consider you unless you are bilingual for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 10:07 PM

9 posts, read 13,537 times
Very helpful info! Thanks all!

Happy 4th of July!

Old 07-06-2014, 11:49 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by che0123 View Post
My husband and I are late 40's early 50's and looking to relocate to FL from RI...

We have visited SW FL and like both Naples and Sarasota areas, but need more info and input on current conditions and the best areas for finding work in FL...

I have a varied background in Design, Territory Sales, and Secretarial work and my husband is self-employed in gutters, carpentry, flooring, and handyman type work. We would like to find jobs as well as get a business off the ground (on the side) in FL. Considering it's a service type business along with our backgrounds, I'm wondering if the older population in Naples would be a good fit? I know there isn't much industry in SW FL, so I'm mainly concerned about us finding work. We would likely start out in a Seasonal rental where ever makes the most sense, instead of being tied into a one-year lease right away.

The other potential area would be Boca Raton/Deerfield Beach/Pompano but I haven't actually been down to SE FL in about 20 years. Would that be a better target area for us for work?? Not being bilingual, that may be an issue on the SE side?

Are there other areas that we should be looking at in FL with our backgrounds, where the job market is better?

Any input would be highly appreciated! Thank you!!
I agree with the other posters in that you should definitely visit Southeast Florida first if you're strongly considering it as a relocation possibility, as the area's changed quite dramatically in the past 20 years or so.

If I were you, I would avoid Broward County all together, even the northern cities (i.e., Deerfield Beach, Pompano Beach, Coral Springs, Coconut Creek, etc.). Over the past 20 years or so, Broward has become very ghetto, IMO. When I first moved to South Florida in '95, Broward was still a relatively slow-paced, laid-back place, but by the time I left the area in '07, "slow-paced" and "laid-back" would be the last adjectives I would use to describe it.

However, despite what other posters will have you know, the Spanish language isn't nearly as pervasive in Broward as it is in Miami-Dade County yet for a few reasons. Although there are some heavily Hispanic enclaves of Broward such as Weston, a very wealthy community in the far western end of the county, Broward is primarily home to transplanted non-Hispanic whites and blacks from Miami, Jews and Italians from the Northeast, and Haitian and Jamaican immigrants. Most Hispanic people in South Florida chose to live in Dade because Hispanic culture and its varying subsets (i.e., Cuban, South American, Central American, etc.) are most concentrated in Dade. Needless to say, Spanish is the first language of the majority of people in Dade, and many people down there don't even speak any English at all. That's the reason why most Hispanic immigrants and transplants choose Dade over Broward or Palm Beach, although I think this has recently begun to change.

In Palm Beach County (i.e., Boca Raton and north), Spanish is rarely, if ever, a job requirement, even for receptionist, retail, or customer service positions. Palm Beach County is kind of the "last bastion," so to speak, of American culture in South Florida, as it's home to the largest white non-Hispanic population in the tri-county metro area. Palm Beach is also the newest, most upscale South Florida county overall. Although statistics will indicate that Broward is safer, I disagree. Palm Beach *feels* much safer overall than Broward. The thing is that Palm Beach has a few really bad spots like Riviera Beach, parts of West Palm, et al. that, unfortunately, skew the overall crime statistics for the county at large.

Sarasota and especially Naples are very seasonal places--lots of businesses close up shop from May - Oct. Since you and your husband aren't educated and don't really have marketable and certified skills/trades, then chances are good you'll end up in seasonal-type employment should you land in either of these areas. However, I will have you know that the Gulf Coast, IMO, is much nicer than the Atlantic Coast--cleaner, newer, sunnier, slightly drier, slower-paced, friendlier, prettier beaches and flora, etc. FWIW, Naples is the only area of FL I ever really liked, but it's not really a place for middle-aged working professionals.

In all honesty, it would really be in your best interest to go back to school and get certified in something before moving down, even if it takes you a couple of years. I recommend something in the medical field such as a Medical Assistant, Sonogram Tech, Radiology Tech, etc., as the healthcare industry is one of the biggest employers in FL. Finding a job as a receptionist, executive assistant, and so forth--positions that require no education or certification--is very difficult in FL, even when you're physically present in the state, let alone out of state. Simply stated, there's lots and lots of competition for those types of positions in FL because the workforce is largely uneducated and unskilled.

In the case of your husband, the "handyman," I'm willing to bet that most of the jobs he picks up are from referrals. In a close-knit places with only one-degree of separation such as RI, that's an easy feat. I'm certain he has plenty of referrals/customers because you guys probably *know* a lot of people. After all, both of you have probably lived there for your entire lives. However, when you move to FL, unless you personally know a developer, someone in the construction field, or another home service-type provider (e.g., plumber, electrician, etc.) who can provide your husband with solid stream of referrals, then it's gonna take him a significant amount of time--and not to mention money in marketing expenditures--to build up a solid customer base in FL. Remember, FL is very different from RI--it's a very transient/revolving door-type place with lots and lots of shady contractors (and people, too), so most service providers/contractors would be very skeptical if your husband was to approach them and request referrals. There's no mutual trust among contractors, business, or even people in South Florida and for good reason, too.

Regardless of where exactly you land, there are plenty of seasonal rentals to be had in both Southeast and Southwest Florida. For example, my great-aunt from Providence has been renting a condo in Boynton Beach from Jan. 1 - Apr. 1 for the past 10-12 years. However, I will have you know that most condominium/apartment communities with seasonal rentals will be home to much older residents than you and your husband. As an aside, you didn't mention how you feel about living in a retirement community, but if your husband's not yet 55 years old, then chances are good you may not be able to just yet. Also, I think it's a good idea to find a short-term rental first, esp. considering you and your husband are RI'ers--most RI'ers last less than 6 mos. in FL.

FWIW, I grew up in North Providence and lived in Boca Raton for 12 years. If you have any more questions, please DM me. Best of luck.

Last edited by 8to32characters; 07-06-2014 at 11:58 AM..

Old 07-08-2014, 11:30 PM

9 posts, read 13,537 times
8to32characters:

Interesting perspective... I appreciate the input.

We are considering 55+ communities as an option, as my husband does meet the age requirement. All options are open at this point.

If we decide our FL move doesn't work for us, we'll relocate to another area in FL or another state, but I don't see us returning to RI based on economic conditions, etc...

Old 07-09-2014, 09:47 AM

438 posts, read 653,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The point being there's an inaccurate stereotype you (and others) are perpetuating about a large part of South Florida...

I'm not sure who you're referring to when you say "inaccurate stereotypes you (and others) are perpetuating about a large part of south Florida". I'm presuming that you meant me. But what you're saying has little relevance to the point I made. You are the one who used the term 'bilingual- mandatory', no one else. An employer won't necessarily state that he/she wants somebody who is bilingual to fill a service-oriented job anywhere in southeast Florida, but bilingual is what most prefer. Again, if two people with very similar qualifications apply for a position and one of them is bilingual but the other one is not, in this area, the one who isn't bilingual is clearly at a disadvantage. Hopefully, you're aware that census CPS data such as the one you quoted is based on statistical averages that typically disregard significant outliers. In inferential statistics this can make a big difference in certain situations. For instance, what percentage of the survey responses came from areas of Broward and Palm Beach counties that were more densely populated by, say, Spanish-speaking individuals vs. English-only speaking individuals. Obviously, they're not going to capture this information with 100% accuracy so they extrapolate. Since you like statistics then I'm sure you can appreciate the relevance of probability theory here as well. Using your percentages, we can know even without doing all the math that the probability that a job applicant in Broward or Palm Beach may need to be able to communicate with clients who speak only or mostly Spanish is unlikely to be zero. What say you?

Old 07-12-2014, 09:25 AM

85 posts, read 129,694 times
Life in St Petersburg is just easy. There are areas with Old florida charm (quite a few older cities with old timey main streets). Cost of living is average. people are nice. Creative seen in dt st petersburg. Blue collar workers can make a good living. A big middle class. There is quite a bit of housing choices. Traffic is bad, slow (only one freeway)

Sw florida (Naples) has a huge gap between rich and working class (you'll be treated like "the help") down there.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:14 AM

9 posts, read 8,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
If you have not been here in 20 years, prepare yourself this is not the South Florida you remember...

Job market is highly competitive, companies tend not to pay and to be blunt your going to have a lot of competition for a lot of jobs. It is often easier to find a job here if your living here, which can be risky for many to relocate without and living off of savings which can often end in disaster when the funds run out. You mentioned secretarial, I can say this expect a lot of competition from kids fresh out of high school with no degree and minimal experience. I have seen so many people with great experience, degrees and etc, get glanced over because of this and the fact that employers can pay someone less money and don't care if they get quality work.

A lot of people do work for themselves here, handyman jobs, landscaping and etc, a lot of competition and business tends to spread by referrals or people you know, that takes time.

Suggest you also do COL comparisons, I know RI isn't cheap when it comes to many things, especially car insurance but that is high here as well as is health insurance rates, due to the elderly population density.

Boca is expensive as well, expect $1300/month+ for a nice 1 bedroom in a desirable area. A house, easily over $2000+, if you can even find a rental, rentals are hot and most people out of the Baby Boomer generation cannot afford to buy here due to the downturn, job loss, stagnant incomes, requirements to buy and etc...now home prices are on the rebound returning to 2004 levels, if they reach 2006 levels, it will be another bubble waiting to pop.

I would suggest you visit here since it's been 20 years, it's not the same place you remember...

I would have to agree with everything here. I have lived here my whole life and the job market is extremely competitive and companies dont pay. I love the beaches and Florida weather but I cannot afford to live here because of the low pay and high housing cost. I am currently looking to move out of state for an area that has better job opportunities. Not to mention it is getting very, very crowded here.

I would highly suggest visiting here again because I can guarantee that almost nothing is the same as 20 years ago.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:08 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rye-rye View Post
Life in St Petersburg is just easy. There are areas with Old florida charm (quite a few older cities with old timey main streets). Cost of living is average. people are nice. Creative seen in dt st petersburg. Blue collar workers can make a good living. A big middle class. There is quite a bit of housing choices. Traffic is bad, slow (only one freeway)

Sw florida (Naples) has a huge gap between rich and working class (you'll be treated like "the help") down there.
St Pete's kind of a dump except for downtown.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:10 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwat25 View Post
I would have to agree with everything here. I have lived here my whole life and the job market is extremely competitive and companies dont pay. I love the beaches and Florida weather but I cannot afford to live here because of the low pay and high housing cost. I am currently looking to move out of state for an area that has better job opportunities. Not to mention it is getting very, very crowded here.

I would highly suggest visiting here again because I can guarantee that almost nothing is the same as 20 years ago.

^^^ This.

My little country town is changing, and quickly.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 935 times
Hi!
My husband and I are the same age range and came from RI also. We have been in Naples, Fl for 2 1/2 years now and love, love, love it! Do not look back one bit! we are both retired; he law enforcement and I court reporter. He took a retirement job, albeit it full time, in a hotel as security supervisor and I am selling real estate ( I also had my license in R I) there is so much to do here, always a different restaurant or bar to try.
We had gone to the east coast, Pompano, for years, but I found that much faster paced...
We love it here...
Email me if you need any advice or assistance! Agannon8@gmail.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida