Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2014, 04:21 AM

6 posts, read 6,989 times

Advertisements

hello,

I was offered a position in Stuart, Florida - though I have done a lot of research on Florida and where I want to live, this job offer came as a surprise and therefore, I was not prepared with my info on Stuart, Florida.

I am a 24 year old young professional, love the beach, shopping, restaurants, going to the gym...normal things a suburban-y area might offer but I do want to be near other young professionals as well..

Does Stuart have young professional? Are there places for us to go out, like a "downtown" or main street type of area or do I have to go somewhere else?

any other info on Stuart would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 09:09 AM

8,054 posts, read 4,727,029 times
Stuart is a beach town--about ten minutes east from downtown you will find lots of fairly uncrowded beaches. We have most of the usual chain stores for shopping (in Stuart and in Jensen Beach, which is just across the river). Treasure Coast Square Mall is a decent size for an area such as ours. There are lots of chain restaurants in the area as well as mom-and-pop places. Downtown Stuart has a lot more of the small businesses like bars, gift shops, shoe stores, restaurants, etc. and has that tourist-y vibe. There are a good number of young professionals in the town, since Stuart is the county seat and draws lots of government jobs as well as attorneys and doctors (Martin Memorial is in Stuart).

I've only been here 2 1/2 years but I was immediately struck by how Stuart has so much to offer on its own, but also is in a good location if you want to be "near" the action (West Palm/FTL) but not right in the middle of it on a day-to-day basis.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:54 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,584,691 times
Stuart

Quaint small downtown, very small, some good restaurants. Not near a major airport. Relatively safe area, not a lot of career opportunities outside of Healthcare/Medical, high retiree/baby boomer population. Not a lot of night life if any, shopping is limited, many have to drive to Palm Beach Gardens in PB County to find higher end items and more options, if that's your thing...many of my co-workers are from Stuart and commute to PBG to work, shop, dine and etc. Many complain that although Stuart and Martin County in general are great for their kids (schools) and safe, it's often too sleepy for them and they find themselves coming down here all the time.

Depends where your coming from, what your use to and/or what you expect from an area.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:05 AM

389 posts, read 659,710 times
Stuart is thought of as a retirement town, but I was a part-time resident there a few years ago because my work required it and thought from the perspective of an "outsider" that the area had a nice mix -- plenty of families and a fair number of people in their 20s and early 30s, along with retirees (who by and large seemed friendlier than those in Broward and Palm Beach counties). Along with Jensen Beach and Palm City, Stuart has attracted more young professionals as the area has grown, and there's also growing group of young professionals in nearby Port St. Lucie, which has added quite a few health care and biotech jobs in recent years.

U.S. 1 is the main thoroughfare in town and is a typical mishmash of strip malls and fast-food restaurants, but don't be deceived by that. Downtown is attractive and has a historic feel. The area's waterways and wetlands are a big draw for water sports enthusiasts and nature-lovers, and it always seemed to me like the residents had a real appreciation for the environment. As far as nightlife: Mainly sports bar-type establishments like Bru's Room, Duffy's and Ale House instead of glitzy clubs. You won't find the South Beach vibe that draws so many younger people to South Florida, but the bigger cities aren't far away if you want to experience them. If you like the quieter, small-town atmosphere and can live without heavy-duty partying and nightclubbing, Stuart is certainly worthy of consideration.

Last edited by Papillons2; 07-12-2014 at 11:20 AM..

Old 07-18-2014, 04:19 AM

6 posts, read 6,989 times
thank you everyone...I don't mind a small town beach community vibe as long as I am in driving distance to some more exciting night life if I choose. I was really just more concerned that I would be one of the few young professionals in the area filled with either families and/or retirees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida