U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-21-2007, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Heartland Florida
9,324 posts, read 23,752,062 times
Reputation: 4900

Advertisements

If you want history, Miami-Dade county has done an excellent job of erasing it already. The only landmarks in the city of Miami are the courthouse and the city hall. As for getting to the Keys, there's always the old way...by boat! And as mentioned above, this thread is not about racism. It's an overall quality of life issue for Florida. The corruption and stupidity of Miami-Dade county has no racial barriers. Despite what some people think, I am not and never will be racist when making assessments or decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2007, 01:25 PM
 
1,770 posts, read 7,466,375 times
Reputation: 484
I think Dade County can be a very interesting place to visit. To live? Now, that's another story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2007, 01:44 PM
 
8,376 posts, read 27,736,324 times
Reputation: 2362
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheRadar View Post
I like beautiful women too, and I like Cuban sandwiches. But I can get that in other places besides Miami. Sorry, the city of Miami is not going to hold up well in a conversation when the only thing it offers is beautiful women and Cuban sandwiches! It's pretty defenseless. I dont need to list all the negatives of Miami.
I wasn't really talking about it as a place to live. It has a gamma world city within it's county limits, erasing it would be detrimental. Not saying I would live there but like it or not, its a major center of international trade, banking, and commerce.

Oh, and it also doesn't only have "beautiful women and cuban sandwiches" going for it just like crime and corruption aren't the only things wrong with it.

Tallrick, I wasn't necessarily referring to you in the "racist" comments because you tend to substantially back your statements. I was mainly referring to some other comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2007, 03:12 PM
 
Location: PiNE HILLS
25 posts, read 161,760 times
Reputation: 17
get rid of one of the panhandle countys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2007, 04:02 PM
 
29 posts, read 19,178 times
Reputation: 15
Why on earth would you want to get rid of FL's best area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2007, 05:53 PM
 
8,376 posts, read 27,736,324 times
Reputation: 2362
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheRadar View Post
Why on earth would you want to get rid of FL's best area?
So now, because you said its the best, it's fact. Now I see where your coming from . On paper, the only deference between Miami and some of the panhandle counties is population density, median home cost, and racial demographics. Same high rate of poverty, same high crime, same political corruption, same failing schools, same unemployment. BUT, that of course doesn't describe the whole panhandle, because just like Dade, Orange, Broward whatever considered "cesspool", there are good areas and bad areas. I still wouldn't get rid of those panhandle counties, rural life is THE life for many people and it does remain an oasis of Southern culture (for those who are into it) within a transplant flooded state.

Ok fine, I admit it, I would get rid of Orange County. It used to be nice, but now it really doesn't have much going for it except for Universal Studios (Even Sea World is questionable, and remember Disney is largely in Osceola). It has nothing unique to it, it's just a supremely bland sprawl with traffic that remains perpetually still, ridiculously high crime, crappy schools, poor racial relations, an unusually large amount of people that watch child porn, and a transient population that always seems on edge.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 12-21-2007 at 06:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2007, 06:03 PM
 
29 posts, read 19,178 times
Reputation: 15
"An oasis of Southern culture." I like that "Compelled to Reply." Good description, and yes, it definitely has it's advantages.

There are pockets of areas that are like this, in what you call a "transplant flooded" state, which is also accurate. Some are far from S FL, so you have to go out and search a little harder.. and more than just an arm's throw away... but I do have a hell of an arm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2007, 06:21 PM
 
Location: O-Town
1,781 posts, read 6,336,998 times
Reputation: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
So now, because you said its the best, it's fact. Now I see where your coming from . On paper, the only deference between Miami and some of the panhandle counties is population density, median home cost, and racial demographics. Same high rate of poverty, same high crime, same political corruption, same failing schools, same unemployment. BUT, that of course doesn't describe the whole panhandle, because just like Dade, Orange, Broward whatever considered "cesspool", there are good areas and bad areas. I still wouldn't get rid of those panhandle counties, rural life is THE life for many people and it does remain an oasis of Southern culture (for those who are into it) within a transplant flooded state.

Ok fine, I admit it, I would get rid of Orange County. It used to be nice, but now it really doesn't have much going for it except for Universal Studios (Even Sea World is questionable, and remember Disney is largely in Osceola). It has nothing unique to it, it's just a supremely bland sprawl with traffic that remains perpetually still, ridiculously high crime, crappy schools, poor racial relations, an unusually large amount of people that watch child porn, and a transient population that always seems on edge.

I must be the exception to the rule. I don`t find orange county that bad....And I like seaworld! Well the crime seems bad lately
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2007, 06:27 PM
 
8,376 posts, read 27,736,324 times
Reputation: 2362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
I must be the exception to the rule. I don`t find orange county that bad....And I like seaworld! Well the crime seems bad lately
It's not "that bad" in parts, but compared to other places even in Florida I don't think it has as much going for it. The cost of living for example, is almost as high up there as it is where I am in Weston to live in an equivalent area (Ft Lauderdale area). At least we get a seabreeze, have less traffic, less crime, better pay, more in the way of culture, and it's not really significantly more money, I noticed about a 50-100 dollar difference in rents and you get paid for it. Dade at least has South Beach, a good dining scene, the Latin culture (it's "different", love it or hate it, just like Southern culture), some unique Mediterranean architecture in places like Coral Gables. I just don't see anything distinguishing Orange County.

I mean, you might set it apart, but I don't know you, so I don't know .

And I still say it hesitantly when I say "erase". I'm still with PBCboy on that one (not into erasing history)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2007, 06:33 PM
 
Location: O-Town
1,781 posts, read 6,336,998 times
Reputation: 489
I agree that dade has more to offer then orange at the moment who knows give it some time and orange might be for the better.

What about duval county? erase that one maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top