Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 04:19 AM

Location: Mexico and I hate it. I'm trying to move back to the US
186 posts, read 282,906 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

How are you all doing?

So I've been "trying" to read the threads about FL about where to move to, but there's just too much, so I would REALLY appreciate it the experts on FL could help narrow down where I should be looking.

I heard Orlando isn't a favorite of most people, not sure why.

I've lightly researched: Titusville, Jax I crossed off my list, Ocala, Tampa doesn't have a Costco or a Wholefoods or gas, & Vero (if it's all seniors I wouldn't fit in no offense).

Here are my needs/wants:

1. My budget is low for rent (around $500/month), but I don't want to live in a slum area & of course I don't want a city that's ridden with crime, but sometimes people say there's a lot of crime & I don't encounter it.

Also I prefer gas stoves & gas for the hot water both for saving money, as well as cooking with gas is just much better. I know some cities don't have gas.

2. I'm a single 48 y/o woman who really wants to be around really intelligent friendly open minded people if there is such an area in FL LOL - I don't need to be around ONLY people my age, a bit older is okay & younger is okay too, I just don't like tons of screaming kids.

I work from home, so my only MUST is that the Internet is fast & reliable.

3. I'm a very holistic environmental person, so while I can live in an area that doesn't concentrate on that, it would be preferable as I want to take Qi Gong again & maybe start yoga.

4. The quality of the tap water is very important to me. I'm in Vegas now & the water is terrible. They dump TONS of chlorine in it & recycle it 6 ways to Sunday & it's hard water, so I don't want either & no sulfur smell.

5. As clean unpolluted air as possible.

6. I know there's humidity, bugs & hurricanes, but are there areas where there's less heat/humidity & bugs?

7. I like quiet areas, but I want to be around really good restaurants (different ethnic fare) that aren't too expensive (not talking about fast food or chain places.) I'm a foodie.

I would like to start dancing again so good clubs that aren't all for teeny boppers.

If there's culture like good art museums & things to do nearby, that's a bonus, but not 100% necessary.

8. I don't have a car yet, so I need to find an apartment that is within walking distance to grocery stores, a gym & a pool if the gym doesn't have one. I know the transit system in FL is terrible.
9. I don't have a dog yet, but would like to get one eventually, so are there certain city's rentals that allow for dogs & others that don't? If the city had everything, but no dogs, I'd still consider it as I would like to eventually buy a house.

10. I really want to be within driving distance (30 minutes) to the following:

a) farms or farmer markets with fresh ripe produce
b) fresh fish (if that's not near, but it gets shipped in straight away, that's an option)
c) Costco
d) Wholefoods or something similar. I buy certain eggs from them that are to die for.

The reasons I'm nervous about a small town, is that I lived in one for the first time ever 5 years ago & everything always closed so early. Everyone wants to know your business, & then when I wanted to sell my things when I was moving, no one bought them or they wanted to pay peanuts. The city people wouldn't drive to the town for my garage sale.

It was harder to find a good cleaning lady for cheap or other types of services, & things are usually more expensive & there's less selection. I'm talking clothes, groceries, things I can't buy online.

I don't need a HUGE city, but big enough with enough selection.

I know this is a lot, so I hope I didn't overwhelm everyone : )

Thank you sooo much!

Michelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 05:06 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
For the record Tampa has Whole Foods, there are actually two of them. However your budget would put you in a horrific place to live so would cross that off. Your only real options in Florida are going to be Tallahassee or Gainesville, and given all of your criteria would recommend Tallahassee the most.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:20 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
You have WAY too many unrealistic expectations. There are cities and towns that would fulfill most of your criteria (like Sarasota, where I live) but not budget. Prices are very high in the areas that have what you are looking for - supply and demand. Your best bet are larger cities, but be prepared not to live in the best area for that budget. Good luck

Old 07-17-2014, 07:20 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,998,484 times
Kyle is an unusually kind and patient person. Me, not so much. You're looking for Nirvanna. Good luck. I would suggest much compromise is in order. There are numerous places that would fit your bill if you had a bigger budget. Likewise, there are decent places that lack several of your requirements. I would suggest you decide on the most important of these. It would be much easier to make recommendations.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:39 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,130 times
Why live in FL? You didn't mention any particular reason that made it a requirement, and what would make you happy is not a good fit for the state. However, you could find these environments in cities in other states. Would you consider a roommate? Have you looked into "tiny houses"? You could move to a city up North and get all of this with a roommate, or for a more temperate climate say a college town in NC. If you had a "tiny house" (plenty on the internet and even a documentary out about this), you could park that sucker pretty much anywhere and get what you want, and if you don't like it after a few years move it again - but if you're serious about that I recommend saving up enough to have one that has a toilet and at least a shower, because "borrowing" a neighbor's bathroom for years is not cool.

Please don't get a dog if you can't even afford more than $500/mo for rent. Having a dog will significantly lower the potential places you can live, and it's not fair to the dog. You won't have much room for the dog to move in, and the expenses of owning will be far more than you can afford - they need shots/neuter, food, emergency vet care, monthly heartworm and flea medication (especially in FL!), annual registration and rabies, plus high "pet rent" is charged for apts, and then they usually take your whole security deposit just because they know you have a dog and will claim it "smells like dog" even if it doesn't [FL apt. complexes are known to be scammers]. There are millions and millions of dogs that end up in shelters and put down in the US because people have an unexpected illness or loss of income, have to move, and the new place won't take the pet, or the pet needs an operation and the owner doesn't have the money to pay for it. Pet health care is really expensive - if they need an operation, that could easily be $2-8,000 that you did not anticipate. Check craigslist, you'll see endless sad stories in the pet section of people who could barely afford the pet when they got it, and then couldn't afford it anymore. A dog that is not pampered and has no emergency health problems can easily cost an average of $100/month - 1/5 of your rent! And it just goes up from there, especially as they get older. So rethink that idea, and consider saving up a lot more if you have your heart set on it. I have owned dogs my whole life, and they are a lot more costly than people think, and make renting incredibly difficult (especially with any size other than those expensive teacup hybrid rat-dogs ).

Old 07-17-2014, 10:09 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Hi. Doing just fine.

I am sorry to say that you cant have most of the things you want on a $500 a month housing budget..
Surely all of the things you want are in various FL cities but the cost of living is much higher than what your budget would allow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensualspirit View Post
Hi Everyone,

How are you all doing?

So I've been "trying" to read the threads about FL about where to move to, but there's just too much, so I would REALLY appreciate it the experts on FL could help narrow down where I should be looking.

I've lightly researched: Titusville, Jax I crossed off my list, Ocala, Tampa doesn't have a Costco or a Wholefoods or gas, & Vero (if it's all seniors I wouldn't fit in no offense).

Here are my needs/wants:

1. My budget is low for rent (around $500/month), but I don't want to live in a slum area & of course I don't want a city that's ridden with crime, but sometimes people say there's a lot of crime & I don't encounter it.

Also I prefer gas stoves & gas for the hot water both for saving money, as well as cooking with gas is just much better. I know some cities don't have gas.

2. I'm a single 48 y/o woman who really wants to be around really intelligent friendly open minded people if there is such an area in FL LOL - I don't need to be around ONLY people my age, a bit older is okay & younger is okay too, I just don't like tons of screaming kids.

3. I'm a very holistic environmental person, so while I can live in an area that doesn't concentrate on that, it would be preferable as I want to take Qi Gong again & maybe start yoga.

4. The quality of the tap water is very important to me. I'm in Vegas now & the water is terrible. They dump TONS of chlorine in it & recycle it 6 ways to Sunday & it's hard water, so I don't want either & no sulfur smell.

6. I know there's humidity, bugs & hurricanes, but are there areas where there's less heat/humidity & bugs?

7. I like quiet areas, but I want to be around really good restaurants (different ethnic fare) that aren't too expensive (not talking about fast food or chain places.) I'm a foodie.

I would like to start dancing again so good clubs that aren't all for teeny boppers.

If there's culture like good art museums & things to do nearby, that's a bonus, but not 100% necessary.

8. I don't have a car yet, so I need to find an apartment that is within walking distance to grocery stores, a gym & a pool if the gym doesn't have one. I know the transit system in FL is terrible.
9. I don't have a dog yet, but would like to get one eventually, so are there certain city's rentals that allow for dogs & others that don't? If the city had everything, but no dogs, I'd still consider it as I would like to eventually buy a house.

b) fresh fish (if that's not near, but it gets shipped in straight away, that's an option)
c) Costco
d) Wholefoods or something similar. I buy certain eggs from them that are to die for.

The reasons I'm nervous about a small town, is that I lived in one for the first time ever 5 years ago & everything always closed so early. Everyone wants to know your business, & then when I wanted to sell my things when I was moving, no one bought them or they wanted to pay peanuts. The city people wouldn't drive to the town for my garage sale.

It was harder to find a good cleaning lady for cheap or other types of services, & things are usually more expensive & there's less selection. I'm talking clothes, groceries, things I can't buy online.

Thank you sooo much!

Michelle

Old 07-17-2014, 11:05 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,088 times
This has to be a troll. Rent budget is $500 but she needs a good cleaning lady???

Old 07-17-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
For the record Tampa has Whole Foods, there are actually two of them. However your budget would put you in a horrific place to live so would cross that off. Your only real options in Florida are going to be Tallahassee or Gainesville, and given all of your criteria would recommend Tallahassee the most.
I will look into Tallahassee.

Maybe it was the Costco that wasn't in Tampa. I'd have to check my notes.

Thank you

Michelle

Old 07-17-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
Why live in FL? You didn't mention any particular reason that made it a requirement, and what would make you happy is not a good fit for the state. However, you could find these environments in cities in other states. Would you consider a roommate? Have you looked into "tiny houses"? You could move to a city up North and get all of this with a roommate, or for a more temperate climate say a college town in NC. If you had a "tiny house" (plenty on the internet and even a documentary out about this), you could park that sucker pretty much anywhere and get what you want, and if you don't like it after a few years move it again - but if you're serious about that I recommend saving up enough to have one that has a toilet and at least a shower, because "borrowing" a neighbor's bathroom for years is not cool.

Please don't get a dog if you can't even afford more than $500/mo for rent. Having a dog will significantly lower the potential places you can live, and it's not fair to the dog. You won't have much room for the dog to move in, and the expenses of owning will be far more than you can afford - they need shots/neuter, food, emergency vet care, monthly heartworm and flea medication (especially in FL!), annual registration and rabies, plus high "pet rent" is charged for apts, and then they usually take your whole security deposit just because they know you have a dog and will claim it "smells like dog" even if it doesn't [FL apt. complexes are known to be scammers]. There are millions and millions of dogs that end up in shelters and put down in the US because people have an unexpected illness or loss of income, have to move, and the new place won't take the pet, or the pet needs an operation and the owner doesn't have the money to pay for it. Pet health care is really expensive - if they need an operation, that could easily be $2-8,000 that you did not anticipate. Check craigslist, you'll see endless sad stories in the pet section of people who could barely afford the pet when they got it, and then couldn't afford it anymore. A dog that is not pampered and has no emergency health problems can easily cost an average of $100/month - 1/5 of your rent! And it just goes up from there, especially as they get older. So rethink that idea, and consider saving up a lot more if you have your heart set on it. I have owned dogs my whole life, and they are a lot more costly than people think, and make renting incredibly difficult (especially with any size other than those expensive teacup hybrid rat-dogs ).
You don't have to stress, I'm pretty smart. I know that I can't afford a dog right now, I said in the future. That's why I haven't gotten one up until now. I know the cost of one is high & I know that owners get rid of them when they can't handle it.

When you say FL apt. complexes are scammers, does that mean the tenant always has problems with landlords in FL? I don't mean with dogs, I just mean in general.

What are the laws in place to protect tenants?

I picked FL b/c several places had the rental prices I need & it's warm (or should I say hot) & people tend to be more friendly & open minded there.

No sorry, I don't want a roommate or some tiny house. I need to feel open space. I hate living in cramped corridors.

Thanks a ton

Michelle

Old 07-17-2014, 06:19 PM

729 posts, read 1,300,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensualspirit View Post
Hi Everyone,

How are you all doing?

Here are my needs/wants:

c) Costco

Thank you sooo much!

Michelle
Here's some basic rental info regarding Tallahassee within your price range. I must warn you that everything is nearly occupied by college students.
Tallahassee, FL Max Rent 500 Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®

Last edited by HeartofFlorida; 07-17-2014 at 07:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida