U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 05:12 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,733,385 times

Advertisements

With much of Florida changing for the worst, is it possible to still find an economically viable lifestyle in north Florida? I am looking for a place less like Miami and more like the "old Florida". A place where 3 times your annual salary buys a nice home on acerage, a place where a corrupt county does not harass you out of business. A place where condos and HOA's do not exist. It may have some run down buildings, and shack-like homes but it is relatively safe. There are still 2 lane roads that pass through forest and farms. You might even see a train go by. Does this exist or has all of Florida become a planned community or strip mall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 05:40 PM

1,023 posts, read 2,988,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
With much of Florida changing for the worst, is it possible to still find an economically viable lifestyle in north Florida? I am looking for a place less like Miami and more like the "old Florida". A place where 3 times your annual salary buys a nice home on acerage, a place where a corrupt county does not harass you out of business. A place where condos and HOA's do not exist. It may have some run down buildings, and shack-like homes but it is relatively safe. There are still 2 lane roads that pass through forest and farms. You might even see a train go by. Does this exist or has all of Florida become a planned community or strip mall?
You are heading in the right direction, however I'm sorry to say that St. Aug and Jax both have CDD fees, HOAs, and condos. Jax is not relatively safe on a grand scale, but St. Aug is. You can still find the windy road that passes the horse farm, and nature preserves....it will eventually dead end into a mass mecca of new house developments who find it charming to have a horse eating hay in the backyard view. However, those farms have long been sold, and will eventually house more malls and commercial property. Old St. Aug will give the charm to you, but the cost is not what you are seeking. However, if you look very very hard, you can get most of what you are looking for in NE Florida. The panhandle I am unsure of; so someone else can speak to it.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:24 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,733,385 times
So basically the whole state is ruined? Time to go to Alabama?

Old 12-19-2007, 10:57 PM

29 posts, read 19,127 times
NW FL may be your cup of tea, Tallrick.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:05 PM

11,456 posts, read 12,681,568 times
Quote:
First thing that comes to my mind is North or South Carolina.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:20 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,407,308 times
Quote:
So basically the whole state is ruined? Time to go to Alabama?
From following many of your previous posts, wonder why you've never looked into AL or northern GA? Where was the bowling alley located?

There is also NW TX & areas there actually see some snow accumulation in winter.

I'm sure there is some random place in the northern areas of FL that would fit your lifestyle.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:23 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,829,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheRadar View Post
NW FL may be your cup of tea, Tallrick.
Yes, but keep an eye on those county commissioners.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:02 AM

17,835 posts, read 29,903,427 times
you may be able to find something like that out near Lake city or plant city
oh rick
since you haven't been able to build your bowling alley yet, you need to go get the wii game system. The bowling game is just like the real thing

Old 12-20-2007, 07:55 AM

15,091 posts, read 30,957,049 times
Try Polk County, here where I live. I am in Lakeland, the largest city in Polk which is more built up, but has preserved all the old buildings, has a very "vintage old Florida" look to it. All the other towns are much smaller and very charming (I really love Winter Haven!) It is more reasonable here than other parts of Florida and between towns it is still rural, although it is diminishing. Still, Polk County is HUGE, the largest land area in Florida I believe, and this just might be your ticket, if you don't have to be on the coast. It has a real community feel, and in fact was one of only 10 places in the country to be named "All American Community" based on civic pride and community spirit.
Might be worth checking out!

If this is still not your cup of tea, I recommend Dade City where we just moved from. A very small town, it still has its rural roots, and has beautiful rolling hills, looks more like North Carolina. It does have a commercial corridor (Highway 30) with a few big box stores but even those have cows in between.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:15 AM

137 posts, read 497,771 times
Check out Levy & Gilchrist counties. Sounds like what you are looking for! I was born & raised in Levy county and other than the "nosiness" of a small community it has been a perfect place to grow up and raise my family! I would like to see a little more of the world though, small towns can leave you feeling claustrophobic! lol Come on and check us out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida