U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 08:06 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,874,914 times

Advertisements

After over 20 inches of snow in the past 3 weeks I'm starting to relate to the story.. I love the snow but come on... This is getting crazy! And now an ice storm today. ugh okay its loosing its charm a bit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 01:08 PM

672 posts, read 687,152 times
Default You're a little TOO far North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
After over 20 inches of snow in the past 3 weeks I'm starting to relate to the story.. I love the snow but come on... This is getting crazy! And now an ice storm today. ugh okay its loosing its charm a bit
Coming from Long Island, I cannot remember that last time we had a White Christmas. In talking with my daughter, they have had some snow, but right afterward the temps go up back up into the 40s and it all melts. I have LI weather on my computer and this week's weather is all well over freezing. Obviously, no snow. You have to get well into January and February for really any accumulations and CONSTANT below freezing temps. Although, I can sympathize that ICE is a real killer. I would rather have 20 inches of snow than 3 inches of ice. At least you CAN shovel or plow snow.

I am here in "lovely" Naples trying to get into the Christmas mindset. Very difficult. It still feels like July to me. I have all the decorations up and PINE scented candles all around, but it just doesn't cut it. The temps at night have gone down into the 50s so that is SOME comfort. I sit outside trying to feel COLD and get in the spirit of things. Oh, well. I most certainly am NOT going to the beach.

Enjoy the snow and cold weather. I mean that sincerely.

Incidentially to all those "it's always a blizzard up North people", the temperature right now on Long Island is 53 degrees and the rest of the week the highs will be in the 40s. NO SNOW. The temperature at night in NAPLES has been in the 50s. I sit outside at night and enjoy it. I prefer the night now to day. I stay out of the sun and inside as much as I possibly can. If I was HOME, I would be ouside in the day as much as possible.

Last edited by HockeyMom72; 12-23-2007 at 01:25 PM..

Old 12-23-2007, 05:30 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,413,361 times
Made it into the 50s yesterday & this morning in NE OH. All the snow has been long gone from last weekend. Temp has gone down & just major winds. There were some flurries but no accumulation this afternoon. Not very likely to have a white CMas, but probably a chilly one.
Ice is awful. No doubt about that one.
Saw the temps in SWFL were a little on the warm side. Come April when we get our annual blizzard "maybe" I will miss the area for a day or two
Forecasters are predicting above average temps for the North & midwest most of winter. Guess we'll see.
Some states are still getting deadly storms right now though. Can't be easy.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
Coming from Long Island, I cannot remember that last time we had a White Christmas. In talking with my daughter, they have had some snow, but right afterward the temps go up back up into the 40s and it all melts. I have LI weather on my computer and this week's weather is all well over freezing. Obviously, no snow. You have to get well into January and February for really any accumulations and CONSTANT below freezing temps. Although, I can sympathize that ICE is a real killer. I would rather have 20 inches of snow than 3 inches of ice. At least you CAN shovel or plow snow.

I am here in "lovely" Naples trying to get into the Christmas mindset. Very difficult. It still feels like July to me. I have all the decorations up and PINE scented candles all around, but it just doesn't cut it. The temps at night have gone down into the 50s so that is SOME comfort. I sit outside trying to feel COLD and get in the spirit of things. Oh, well. I most certainly am NOT going to the beach.

Enjoy the snow and cold weather. I mean that sincerely.

Incidentially to all those "it's always a blizzard up North people", the temperature right now on Long Island is 53 degrees and the rest of the week the highs will be in the 40s. NO SNOW. The temperature at night in NAPLES has been in the 50s. I sit outside at night and enjoy it. I prefer the night now to day. I stay out of the sun and inside as much as I possibly can. If I was HOME, I would be ouside in the day as much as possible.

today is the first day we have had above freezing since almost thanksgiving.. its 49 right now and raining.. Im dreading this becasue I know that later on tonight it will all freeze to ice, and then we're gonna be in for trouble...

Old 12-28-2007, 07:30 AM

66 posts, read 185,526 times
So, how do people who hate snow actually survive upstate NY snow hell? Gosh, I'm getting worried about moving there!

Old 12-28-2007, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalTransplant View Post
So, how do people who hate snow actually survive upstate NY snow hell? Gosh, I'm getting worried about moving there!
It is about survival. I never believed my mother in law , who lived in Northerman for 11 years when she would tell me this.. I lived in Fla my whole life, moved to NH in June of this year.. We've had a snow storm every sunday this month of December. You can see some of the pics in the for those who like the snow and cold thread here on the fla forum... Last night we had freezing rain, the snow on top, then came the black ice warnings flashinga cross the tv... The thing is, when a hurricane comes you stock up... Depending on how many storms, we'll say 3 a season, So you stock up 3 times unless it was a miss then you're good. With the snow storms you get an infinate amount during the winter.. So you must stock up every time.. My pipes froze last week.. No water for 3 days.. The roads were so bad that we couldn't get off of our street for 2 of them. .Because we're not a main road and side street you're last priority on the snow clearing list.. Then the storm comes.. and you might loose power.. If you don't have a way to heat your house, ie wood stove, fireplace etc.. Then you have the reality of possibly going to a shelter or freeze to death if the power doesn't set in soon... You have to go slowww everywhere, and you have to accept the fact that every turn you make, you're going to slide some.. Doesn't matter how slow you go.. but if you go too slow you might get stuck, or spin out the tires. There are some roads here, a hill specifically that its just unpassable in the winter. Gotta take alternate routes to Vermont. Don't get me started on the crashes, my husband was hit by a car, with his police lights on siren going, middle of the night, dead stop cause he saw the lade didn't have control was on her cell phone, hit the brakes hard and started sliding.. She slid right into him , came straight through the intersection. I've come to realize people up north survive the winter..

Old 12-29-2007, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
It is about survival. I never believed my mother in law , who lived in Northerman for 11 years when she would tell me this.. I lived in Fla my whole life, moved to NH in June of this year.. We've had a snow storm every sunday this month of December. You can see some of the pics in the for those who like the snow and cold thread here on the fla forum... Last night we had freezing rain, the snow on top, then came the black ice warnings flashinga cross the tv... The thing is, when a hurricane comes you stock up... Depending on how many storms, we'll say 3 a season, So you stock up 3 times unless it was a miss then you're good. With the snow storms you get an infinate amount during the winter.. So you must stock up every time.. My pipes froze last week.. No water for 3 days.. The roads were so bad that we couldn't get off of our street for 2 of them. .Because we're not a main road and side street you're last priority on the snow clearing list.. Then the storm comes.. and you might loose power.. If you don't have a way to heat your house, ie wood stove, fireplace etc.. Then you have the reality of possibly going to a shelter or freeze to death if the power doesn't set in soon... You have to go slowww everywhere, and you have to accept the fact that every turn you make, you're going to slide some.. Doesn't matter how slow you go.. but if you go too slow you might get stuck, or spin out the tires. There are some roads here, a hill specifically that its just unpassable in the winter. Gotta take alternate routes to Vermont. Don't get me started on the crashes, my husband was hit by a car, with his police lights on siren going, middle of the night, dead stop cause he saw the lade didn't have control was on her cell phone, hit the brakes hard and started sliding.. She slid right into him , came straight through the intersection. I've come to realize people up north survive the winter..

OMG!! That sounds like sheer hell! I always wonder why people choose to live in such harsh climates willingly, and take all the risk to health, property, sanity, as well as the costs (of getting snow-proof shoes, car, housing, energy costs, shovelling costs, etc. etc.)!! So if it's about survival, and not really living life to the full, perhaps I should reconsider my options. I certainly wouldn't want to struggle months on end just to get to work, get to the store, fly out of town, etc. just coz the weather is hell... I don't see the point in not spending my time/energy/money/sanity in actually enjoying my life, but being miserable about things beyond my control!

Old 12-29-2007, 05:19 AM

240 posts, read 349,175 times
I guess you have to be raised by parents who are into the outdoors to appreciate the New England area.

We were raised to enjoy ice skating, snow mobiling, skiing and snowmen. I love the winters, everytime it starts to snow down here in Boston, I am checking out the reports for the inches of snow on the ski slopes and what slopes are boasting fresh snow.

LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT! And in the summer we are either on the lake water skiing or down cape on the beaches.

Hint: They now make a machine that can magically blow the snow away. We have one.
I also have automatic all wheel drive, yippee, can that car move in the snow.

We have a gas fireplace, what a treat, soooo cozy watching the snow and the fireplace.

So it all comes down to how active you like to be. I am in my element up here.
Every fantastic season gives me a breath of fresh air.

I walk at least 4 to 6 miles a day, no matter what the weather and what a treat.
I just buy my garb from the ski store and I am weather proofed for any climate.

Walking in the rain or the snow is fun. Feeling the rain or snow on my face is like being a kid again.

Never bored with the weather. In New England we become one with the seasons and it's just 2nd nature to be flexible for us. It really is not a big deal for us. We all get around now matter what the weather is. We laugh at the warmer climates complaining about how cold it is or about them getting 3 inches of snow and nobody able to drive under those conditions.

You should move where your bones want most comfort, but most New Englanders stay right here in N.E.

LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW, I want to hit the slopes.

Last edited by bingo08; 12-29-2007 at 05:47 AM..

Old 12-29-2007, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo08 View Post
I guess you have to be raised by parents who are into the outdoors to appreciate the New England area.

We were raised to enjoy ice skating, snow mobiling, skiing and snowmen. I love the winters, everytime it starts to snow down here in Boston, I am checking out the reports for the inches of snow on the ski slopes and what slopes are boasting fresh snow.

LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT! And in the summer we are either on the lake water skiing or down cape on the beaches.

Hint: They now make a machine that can magically blow the snow away. We have one.
I also have automatic all wheel drive, yippee, can that car move in the snow.

We have a gas fireplace, what a treat, soooo cozy watching the snow and the fireplace.

So it all comes down to how active you like to be. I am in my element up here.
Every fantastic season gives me a breath of fresh air.

I walk at least 4 to 6 miles a day, no matter what the weather and what a treat.
I just buy my garb from the ski store and I am weather proofed for any climate.

Walking in the rain or the snow is fun. Feeling the rain or snow on my face is like being a kid again.

Never bored with the weather. In New England we become one with the seasons and it just 2nd nature to be flexible for us. It really is not a big deal for us. We all get around now matter what the weather is. We laugh at the warmer climates complaining about how cold it is or about them getting 3 inches of snow and nobody able to drive under those conditions.

You should move where your bones want most comfort, but most New Englanders stay right here in N.E.

LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW, I want to hit the slopes.
I suppose you're right that people born and bred in snowy places enjoy them. So that would mean us tropical folks should just stay in the tropics! While I know many of my kind love snow too, personally it's just something I can't tolerate. Hence the question whether people who hate snow can survive/thrive in such harsh climates, esp if public transportation is crap, we don't drive (currently live in a world city in Europe), and don't like outdoor sports!

Old 12-29-2007, 05:57 AM

240 posts, read 349,175 times
Yeah you gotta like to be outdoors to appreciate our weather.

It is like free entertainment!

My parents had us outside all the time, it was part of life. Toughens one up and we don't even see it as tough, we see it as part of life, not a big deal.

Just when you have had enough of one season up here the next season comes rolling in and we are never bored with any of them.

We have the best of both worlds, fantastic skiing in the winter and great beaches in the summer. Never bored!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida