U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-29-2007, 05:57 AM
 
Location: Sunny Florida
7,136 posts, read 11,011,591 times
Reputation: 9460

Advertisements

I left home and it was 31 degrees, cold, and gray. I flew to Florida to have a late Christmas with my parents and it was in the high 70's, sunny, and beautiful.
If I didn't have to work I'd move today and leave the cold gray mess that is winter behind me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2007, 06:51 AM
 
66 posts, read 185,785 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I left home and it was 31 degrees, cold, and gray. I flew to Florida to have a late Christmas with my parents and it was in the high 70's, sunny, and beautiful.
If I didn't have to work I'd move today and leave the cold gray mess that is winter behind me.

Hmmm... so even the native cold-weather people would rather not have the cold/snow! I wonder how many would actively swap into warmer-weather areas if they had the liberty to do so??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2007, 07:09 AM
 
Location: Sunny Naples Florida :)
1,452 posts, read 1,886,092 times
Reputation: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo08 View Post
I guess you have to be raised by parents who are into the outdoors to appreciate the New England area.

We were raised to enjoy ice skating, snow mobiling, skiing and snowmen. I love the winters, everytime it starts to snow down here in Boston, I am checking out the reports for the inches of snow on the ski slopes and what slopes are boasting fresh snow.

LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT! And in the summer we are either on the lake water skiing or down cape on the beaches.

Hint: They now make a machine that can magically blow the snow away. We have one.
I also have automatic all wheel drive, yippee, can that car move in the snow.

We have a gas fireplace, what a treat, soooo cozy watching the snow and the fireplace.

So it all comes down to how active you like to be. I am in my element up here.
Every fantastic season gives me a breath of fresh air.

I walk at least 4 to 6 miles a day, no matter what the weather and what a treat.
I just buy my garb from the ski store and I am weather proofed for any climate.

Walking in the rain or the snow is fun. Feeling the rain or snow on my face is like being a kid again.

Never bored with the weather. In New England we become one with the seasons and it's just 2nd nature to be flexible for us. It really is not a big deal for us. We all get around now matter what the weather is. We laugh at the warmer climates complaining about how cold it is or about them getting 3 inches of snow and nobody able to drive under those conditions.

You should move where your bones want most comfort, but most New Englanders stay right here in N.E.

LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW, I want to hit the slopes.
There are fun aspects to winter don't get me wrong.. You can go sledding, ice skating , skiing etc.... The thing with skiing for me is its expensive!! At least in my part of the woods! Plus I don't have a snow suit cause they're over 100 bucks, then I gotta rent the ski's the boots sigh.. it gets to be expensive.. We have an ice skating rink.. they don't rent out the skates here casue its just on a regualr pond, and I don't have ice skates , no use in buying now.. When I get back to Fla I can just go to the ice skating rink in my town and rent em there! But if I was in this for the long hual I'd consider getting some skates.. I like being outside in the cold, but there comes a point where you can only play in the snow so much.. after you built the snow man, had the snowball fight .. then what... Then I gotta go clear my driveway so the hubby can get to work, and so I don't fall on the ice underneath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2007, 07:17 AM
 
Location: Sunny Naples Florida :)
1,452 posts, read 1,886,092 times
Reputation: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalTransplant View Post
Hmmm... so even the native cold-weather people would rather not have the cold/snow! I wonder how many would actively swap into warmer-weather areas if they had the liberty to do so??
I think thats easlily seen just by how many northerners we have on here that now live in Fla and won't go back... Its one thing to be a kid, live up north and sled on your snow days.. Its another to dig out your car... There are things up here that we never had to do in Fla.. You gotta keep your gas tank above a quarter of a tank, it'll freeze... You gotta lift off your windshield wipers off the glass at night, cause they're freeze to the glass, and you'll go to turn em on and rip the blades off ... When we drove up here for our finalizing moving plans it snowed the way back to fla.. our windshield wiper fluid was frozen, so I was hanging outthe window pouring water on the windshield and we had to hurry and swish it off or it froze to the window.. I'm sure it was a site lol!!! You also have to/ should carry around blankets, water, snacks , matches etc in your car at all times during the winter incase you were to get stuck, you have a survival kit.. theres that word again. For christmas my mother in law literally bought us a survival kit for the car, complete with all that stuff. Just a lot of things to consider.. Really listen to the people who live/have lived up north and what they have to say about the snow and cold.. I didn't , I totally had this mind set that it was so pretty and awesome and fun... I didn't consider any of the work you have to put into it just to get your everyday work done.

Last edited by Tarastomsgirl; 12-29-2007 at 07:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2007, 07:23 AM
 
6,561 posts, read 12,888,007 times
Reputation: 3165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
When we drove up here for our finalizing moving plans it snowed the way back to fla.. our windshield wiper fluid was frozen, so I was hanging outthe window pouring water on the windshield and we had to hurry and swish it off or it froze to the window.. I'm sure it was a site lol!!!
Well I'm sure those driving behind you seeing your Florida plates and watching it even got an EXTRA kick out of it...

[quote=TarastomsgirlJust a lot of things to consider.. Really listen to the people who live/have lived up north and what they have to say about the snow and cold.. I didn't , I totally had this mind set that it was so pretty and awesome and fun... I didn't consider any of the work you have to put into it just to get your everyday work done.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have family in Connecticut that would like me to relocate up there, but I'm not that crazy..... yet....

Where we are in Virginia you don't have to winterize your vehicle and it snows enough to be satisfying, but not so much as to be a nuisance.... Working FOR the school system also helps because WE get snow days too!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2007, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Sunny Naples Florida :)
1,452 posts, read 1,886,092 times
Reputation: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Well I'm sure those driving behind you seeing your Florida plates and watching it even got an EXTRA kick out of it...



Yeah, I have family in Connecticut that would like me to relocate up there, but I'm not that crazy..... yet....

Where we are in Virginia you don't have to winterize your vehicle and it snows enough to be satisfying, but not so much as to be a nuisance.... Working FOR the school system also helps because WE get snow days too!!!
Haa I'm sure they got a kick outta it.. I know I'd be laughing now if I saw that.. Just a little at least..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2007, 07:56 AM
 
548 posts, read 391,745 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
Haa I'm sure they got a kick outta it.. I know I'd be laughing now if I saw that.. Just a little at least..
Hey, don't forget to post a picture when you return of you and your Florida license plate again...this time giving it a big hug!!

We are heading out to get some exercise today and work off those holiday pounds. Hope everyone enjoys their Saturday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2007, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Sunny Naples Florida :)
1,452 posts, read 1,886,092 times
Reputation: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFlorida View Post
Hey, don't forget to post a picture when you return of you and your Florida license plate again...this time giving it a big hug!!

We are heading out to get some exercise today and work off those holiday pounds. Hope everyone enjoys their Saturday.
Ha I'll even add a bow to it.. And I'm gonna go exercise too! Shovel the walk way,, we got snow again last night!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2007, 08:36 AM
 
66 posts, read 185,785 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
I think thats easlily seen just by how many northerners we have on here that now live in Fla and won't go back... Its one thing to be a kid, live up north and sled on your snow days.. Its another to dig out your car... There are things up here that we never had to do in Fla.. You gotta keep your gas tank above a quarter of a tank, it'll freeze... You gotta lift off your windshield wipers off the glass at night, cause they're freeze to the glass, and you'll go to turn em on and rip the blades off ... When we drove up here for our finalizing moving plans it snowed the way back to fla.. our windshield wiper fluid was frozen, so I was hanging outthe window pouring water on the windshield and we had to hurry and swish it off or it froze to the window.. I'm sure it was a site lol!!! You also have to/ should carry around blankets, water, snacks , matches etc in your car at all times during the winter incase you were to get stuck, you have a survival kit.. theres that word again. For christmas my mother in law literally bought us a survival kit for the car, complete with all that stuff. Just a lot of things to consider.. Really listen to the people who live/have lived up north and what they have to say about the snow and cold.. I didn't , I totally had this mind set that it was so pretty and awesome and fun... I didn't consider any of the work you have to put into it just to get your everyday work done.
OMG That's too much! I'm aware of some of the hassles, having lived in Minnesota for a number of years (and hating the winter), but atleast we didn't get as much snow and it was sunny! I suppose the insane amounts of snow in WNY is freaking me out.... and I'd have to learn to drive and get a car just to live there as there's no public transportation that's actually functional apparently!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2007, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Sunny Naples Florida :)
1,452 posts, read 1,886,092 times
Reputation: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalTransplant View Post
OMG That's too much! I'm aware of some of the hassles, having lived in Minnesota for a number of years (and hating the winter), but atleast we didn't get as much snow and it was sunny! I suppose the insane amounts of snow in WNY is freaking me out.... and I'd have to learn to drive and get a car just to live there as there's no public transportation that's actually functional apparently!
I thought upstate and western NY get slammed with snow every year? Didn't they get like crazy amounts of snow last year and then it melted and it flooded?

10 ft of snow, and more coming?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top