U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 09:05 AM

66 posts, read 185,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
I thought upstate and western NY get slammed with snow every year? Didn't they get like crazy amounts of snow last year and then it melted and it flooded?

10 ft of snow, and more coming?

Those pictures were scarey, and hilarious! Wow, that much snow in such a short time! What a nightmare I suppose you really do have to be a native to enjoy so much snow, or have a great sense of humor! But the costs to get snow removed seems extortionist!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 09:38 AM

2,903 posts, read 10,954,895 times
Yup,
That was more in upstate NY....right at the end of Lake Ontario.....here in Western NY last year we had a big ice storm.....on October 13th. Ruined many of my trees........living 30 miles from Buffalo,we get our share of snow and cold.

We just left Florida two days ago.....now back home in Western NY. The people here who like it are usually active in hunting, snowmobiling, skiing, etc. Some love the change of seasons.....

It is all personal preference. For me, the job and family keeps me here, for now......but in 1284 days I'll be leaving NY for the last time and living in the home in Florida......cannot wait.

I'd rather make sand angels then snow angels......

Frank D.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:01 AM

Yes, there are some costs.......I returned home to find the bumper of my 4 wheel drive jeep wrecked....it seemed my son does not realize that 4 wheel drive does not help on ice.........

My snowblower costs about $2500...I need a snowblower and a mower.....heating costs, salt for walks, cars needing front end alignments from potholes....cars rusting away from salty roads, winter clothes/boots for the cold, etc,etc.......

I do think the above results in a higher cost of living.

In Florida I know there is an increased cost for A/C, but I do not think it is as high as my heating bills...Gas for the car is 39 cents per gallon cheaper, taxes are cheaper, water and homeowner's insurance is higher.....I guess we have all discussed this many times before, but it is still fun.....

All personal choice......thank God we are free to make the choice we are happiest with......life is too short to live where you do not want to.

May this new year bring health and happiness......

Frank D.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Yes, there are some costs.......I returned home to find the bumper of my 4 wheel drive jeep wrecked....it seemed my son does not realize that 4 wheel drive does not help on ice.........

My snowblower costs about $2500...I need a snowblower and a mower.....heating costs, salt for walks, cars needing front end alignments from potholes....cars rusting away from salty roads, winter clothes/boots for the cold, etc,etc.......

I do think the above results in a higher cost of living.

In Florida I know there is an increased cost for A/C, but I do not think it is as high as my heating bills...Gas for the car is 39 cents per gallon cheaper, taxes are cheaper, water and homeowner's insurance is higher.....I guess we have all discussed this many times before, but it is still fun.....

All personal choice......thank God we are free to make the choice we are happiest with......life is too short to live where you do not want to.

May this new year bring health and happiness......

Frank D.
Thanks for all the info and sharing your insights! Can you perhaps give me an idea of how much are energy costs for an average 3-bedroom house in Syracuse (2-3 people in the house)? And how much all these added winter costs might be (e.g. paying someone to shovel the sidewalk, etc.). Thanks much!

Old 12-29-2007, 10:23 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,889,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalTransplant View Post
Thanks for all the info and sharing your insights! Can you perhaps give me an idea of how much are energy costs for an average 3-bedroom house in Syracuse (2-3 people in the house)? And how much all these added winter costs might be (e.g. paying someone to shovel the sidewalk, etc.). Thanks much!
I can tell you for my 1 bedroom apt just me and the hub.. Gas last month was $245 to heat the house, water and cook on stove, electric was $140 to run heat constantly and for all appliances. I dunno how much shoveling costs, I've seen some advertised for $60 and some people pay per years. I think someone on the NH board pays $400 a year or something...

Old 12-29-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
I can tell you for my 1 bedroom apt just me and the hub.. Gas last month was $245 to heat the house, water and cook on stove, electric was $140 to run heat constantly and for all appliances. I dunno how much shoveling costs, I've seen some advertised for $60 and some people pay per years. I think someone on the NH board pays $400 a year or something...
I'm guessing the figures in NH are similar to Syracuse? I thought costs in Syracuse were higher though

Old 12-29-2007, 11:30 AM

GT,
That is a difficult question to answer, for it depends on many factors...sq ft of house, and how new/well made it is.......
Does the house have adequate insulation? Tight windows?
How does it heat.....with an old inefficient 50 year old furnace, or a newer 90+% furnace?

When I owned apartments up here, I was smart enough to know that renters only had so much money to spend on rent/utilities......if I could keep their utility costs down, they could pay me more rent.......better the money went to me then the gas company. Others do not see the wisdom in that.

As to snow removal, you have a few choices.....

1) Shovel, or pay someone to do that. It is difficult nowadays to find someone to do that. Kids are not as eager as they once were to work.

2) Buy a snowblower. Many types and price ranges.....it is my choice, but the use of one is not effortless.

3) Hire a snowplower......costs average about $20-$40 per time.....depends on size of driveway.....some storms need multible plowing. Sometimes you can sign a contract for a set yearly fee.....some years you make out well, sometimes they make out well. Also, they do not always plow when you need them to.

4) Try to drive over it, believing that God put it there, He can melt it away in the Spring......

In Florida, you also have unique costs....automatic sprinklers, year round mowing, suntan lotion, sunglasses,.........It is my preferred choice....

Frank D.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:42 PM

Wow, thanks both of you for all the info. The energy costs for the 1 bedroom place sounds astronomical! I suppose then, when people tell me that Syracuse is cheap, they're forgetting such costs! So with the additional snow-related costs, and the higher taxes, Syracuse seems quite expensive to me. And it's not like the salaries are high either!

Old 12-29-2007, 01:29 PM

GT,

Hard to say......Taxes are considered high in NY, compared to many other states......but some also say salaries are higher. I do think that it may cost more to live in NY then other states, but honestly I do not think people think about snow when figuring living costs.....it is more weather you enjoy the snow and weather and change of seasons, etc......

One must think about personal quality of life issues, and what is important to them.

For instance, I do not like city life. I see busy, cramped, dangerous, traffic.
My son sees convenience, excitement, great places to eat, entertainment, etc, and likes it.

I think about emergency services, good hospitals, closeness to stores, etc, neighborhood, low traffic, how close I am to the nearest Apple store, property values, taxes, neighbors, etc, etc.......

Frank D.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:46 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,889,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalTransplant View Post
Wow, thanks both of you for all the info. The energy costs for the 1 bedroom place sounds astronomical! I suppose then, when people tell me that Syracuse is cheap, they're forgetting such costs! So with the additional snow-related costs, and the higher taxes, Syracuse seems quite expensive to me. And it's not like the salaries are high either!
I didn't mention that I am in an older house.... BUT I have brand new double paned windows.. We put runners across the bottom of the front and attic door to prevent air leakage and higher costs.. There are things you can do to keep energy down like buy insulated window coverings, and even insulated curtains..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida