U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 01:55 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,340,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
I didn't mention that I am in an older house.... BUT I have brand new double paned windows.. We put runners across the bottom of the front and attic door to prevent air leakage and higher costs.. There are things you can do to keep energy down like buy insulated window coverings, and even insulated curtains..
Tara, Why in the world did you move from the far south (Naples) to the far north (N.H.) . Thats as far as you could go and still be in the U.S. Yeah, that would be a change in weather. If I left Florida I think South Carolina would be as far north as I would go. But good luck anyway and keep warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 02:25 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,875,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
Tara, Why in the world did you move from the far south (Naples) to the far north (N.H.) . Thats as far as you could go and still be in the U.S. Yeah, that would be a change in weather. If I left Florida I think South Carolina would be as far north as I would go. But good luck anyway and keep warm.
There was a job offer on my husbands part, my husband is a native New Englander and missed it.. I was game so we went.. I was well aware of the weather , BUT never experiencing it for myself, its one thing for someone to tell you about shoveling, its another to do it yourself.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:48 AM

66 posts, read 185,556 times
Hey, similar situation for me too -- it's the job offer in Syberia-cuse! I too am concerned about all things you learn the hard way (e.g. falling on ice and breaking bones/joints!) as well as the high costs that always have to be dealt with in a constant struggle to beat the system on a limited budget. I wonder how much window insulation costs?

Old 12-30-2007, 05:56 AM

9 posts, read 5,442 times
Good reasons to snuggle all season long! hmmmmmmmm...

Last edited by Keeper; 12-30-2007 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: removed deleted quote

Old 12-30-2007, 06:12 AM

10,732 posts, read 31,722,796 times
When I was little my family moved to New England from Texas. They were born and bred in Texas for 100 years.

Their experience was similar to the first post. It wasn't too long before my Dad got a snow blower.

As a child I loved playing in the snow but I still felt somewhat confined by it. Today, I could never live with the stuff. Give me the threat of hurricane anyday.

It was 80 degrees outside yesterday, ya gotta love that.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:54 AM

2,903 posts, read 10,912,747 times
GT,
I for one am not trying to scare you.........perhaps we need to bring everything back in context.

Bottom line is that everywhere there are those who LOVE living where they do, and those who HATE living where they do. The glass is always either half full or half empty.

ALL houses, weather in the north or the south, have energy issues. The better insulated ANY house is, the more efficient they will be, weather you pay to heat it or pay to cool it.

For every person who hates the cold, the snow, etc, there are those who love the change of seasons, the snow, etc.........

I suggest visiting up here and seeing exactly where you would be working, and check out different neighborhoods, stores, services, etc.

Last week when I was in Florida, I saw a high school buddy who moved to Florida from my hometown here in NY over 30 years ago. He now is getting a bit tired of Florida and is thinking of getting back to NY.....I have spent that long, (actually longer) here in NY, and want to move full time to Florida.

Some see Florida weather as monotonous....some like it's consistency. It is all how you look at things.

As far as upgrading the efficiency of ANY house, there are always low cost and high cost options. For windows, you can buy brand new window units for hundreds per window, or for a buck or two per window, add window film.

Whatever you do to any house, you have to think of your payback costs, etc.

Frank D.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:50 AM

66 posts, read 185,556 times
Frank D.,
Thanks so much for your insightful comments. They are very helpful in putting things in perspective. I suppose there are costs to living anywhere, just that the high-snow places seem to be astronomical. I would personally rather have a southern CA type weather with sun most of the time and no snow to plow. But I do realize the other costs of living in such a place (e.g. housing costs, transport costs, traffic hell, smog, etc.). I wish it weren't such extremes in most places!
I will have to reconsider Syracuse in light of the weather and costs, and see what I can do. But if the snow magically disappeared from the place, I would go there in a heartbeat!

Old 12-31-2007, 09:13 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,875,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalTransplant View Post
Frank D.,
Thanks so much for your insightful comments. They are very helpful in putting things in perspective. I suppose there are costs to living anywhere, just that the high-snow places seem to be astronomical. I would personally rather have a southern CA type weather with sun most of the time and no snow to plow. But I do realize the other costs of living in such a place (e.g. housing costs, transport costs, traffic hell, smog, etc.). I wish it weren't such extremes in most places!
I will have to reconsider Syracuse in light of the weather and costs, and see what I can do. But if the snow magically disappeared from the place, I would go there in a heartbeat!
here if you want some snow I'll send it to ya.. this is just from last night storm.. that was a bench... we're in for another 5 inches tonight, then another 5 tomorrow, with backlash snow on Wed. This storm last night put us well over 30 inches.. I'm sure by tomorrow we'll have over 40 inches of snow for the month of december.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/Tarastomsgirl/DCFC0369.jpg (broken link)

this snow looks shallow.. you can see my foot prints going down, at some points it was almost mid thigh on me.. I had to turn around

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/Tarastomsgirl/DCFC0368.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-31-2007, 04:33 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,254,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
here if you want some snow I'll send it to ya.. this is just from last night storm.. that was a bench... we're in for another 5 inches tonight, then another 5 tomorrow, with backlash snow on Wed. This storm last night put us well over 30 inches.. I'm sure by tomorrow we'll have over 40 inches of snow for the month of december.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/Tarastomsgirl/DCFC0369.jpg (broken link)

this snow looks shallow.. you can see my foot prints going down, at some points it was almost mid thigh on me.. I had to turn around

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/Tarastomsgirl/DCFC0368.jpg (broken link)
Be careful Tara someone will flame you for posting those purposely planting those bad pictures of the beautiful snow.

I will gladly trade that snow for a day at the beach anytime someone wants to trade. I will even toss in a new pool that someone can swim in for 3 months a year.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:39 PM

2,903 posts, read 10,912,747 times
Starting tomorrow afternoon we are supposed to get around a foot of new snow here in western NY.
We had visitors staying with us from Houston.....last night we had some snow and I let them borrow our minivan.......

She told me this morning that she thought something was wrong with our brakes because when she stopped at stop signs, she kept going......like the brakes sometimes did not work........

I assured her that the brakes were fine, and that it was operator error....the person driving did not know how to drive in snow. When it was time to go to the airport today, I drove them..........the van was fine, of course.

Frank D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida