Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 07:54 PM

6 posts, read 25,866 times

Advertisements

I know there's a dozen or so threads similar to this every week, but everyone has specific wants and needs. We're desperately wanting to move, and soon, and we're considering several places so we really need to narrow it down. We live in Charleston and we need a change. We like that the people are mostly friendly, it's kid and dog friendly, close to the beach, great restaurants. We hate the tourists, rednecks, old school Southern vibe, and horrible school system. Overall, I'd say Charleston is a great place to visit, but not to live one's entire life.

We're looking for somewhere where the people are laid back and open minded, some charm and culture, lots of kid stuff to do, good food, good schools (public or private) and preschools, dog friendly, affordable, and outdoor activities like parks, beaches or lakes, good areas for boating. Prefer a smaller city but within an hour of a bigger city with more amenities. Employment isn't an issue, I do programming from home and my husband can transfer to any city in the country.

Hoping to stay around $1000 a month in rent for the first six months or so. We'll likely lose money or break even when we sell our current house, so we'd like to stay as low as we can to save up for our next down payment. We also have a dog and cat so if there's areas where it's hard to rent with pets, that would have to be a consideration.

So far we're considering Jacksonville, the Tampa area, and the space coast. Also thinking about the triad or reasearch triangle in NC and Knoxville, TN. We are open to any suggestions, aside from what's mentioned above our only other criteria is staying somewhat close to Charleston because of family, so Tampa is about as far we'd like to go.

Would any of these be a good fit for us or any other Florida cities? Any advice is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 11:00 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,106 times
There are lots of places out West that are far more open, tolerant, and progressive than Florida and especially North Carolina and Tennessee.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:38 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megan0307 View Post
We hate the tourists, rednecks, old school Southern vibe, and horrible school system. Overall, I'd say Charleston is a great place to visit, but not to live one's entire life.

We're looking for somewhere where the people are laid back and open minded, some charm and culture, lots of kid stuff to do, good food, good schools (public or private) and preschools, dog friendly, affordable, and outdoor activities like parks, beaches or lakes, good areas for boating. Prefer a smaller city but within an hour of a bigger city with more amenities. Employment isn't an issue, I do programming from home and my husband can transfer to any city in the country.
Based on the information given I too would recommend someplace other than Florida. I'm a native Floridian who has lived in the Northeast and Middle Atlantic states (now back in FL due to family circumstances) and based on your criteria would say you'd be much happier in NC. I would highly recommend Chapel Hill/Carrboro in the Triangle area which has a very laidback vibe with open-minded people, a lot of cultural opportunity, rivers/lakes/forests nearby for outdoor recreation, a great food scene there and in neighboring Durham, excellent public schools, largely a pet friendly environment, overall affordability given all of the pluses and easy access to the larger city of Raleigh though won't find you'll need it in my opinion.

An overview of Carrboro, NC
Chapel Hill | Chapel Hill and Orange County Visitors Bureau
Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools - About
Carrboro Farmers' Market
The Chapel Hill Farmers' Market - Home
Chapel Hill: America’s “foodiest small town” | SuperCool places

Old 07-21-2014, 07:28 AM

3 posts, read 4,796 times
Thank you both for your input. We originally began with the idea of moving to Durham or Raleigh. The warmer winters is really the only reason I was considering Florida. Will definitely look more into Chapel Hill.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:51 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,566 times
I am not as familiar with areas of FL outside of SFL, but many people on the forum recommend St. Pete to people who are looking for your requirements. Maybe also somewhere in the Jupiter/Juno area would work? There are plenty of tourists in FL, but these areas have some local culture while not being very "redneck-y," St. Pete has plenty to do and the Juno/Jupiter area is pet friendly (including pet friendly beaches, which you can't find everywhere) and is near an area with more going on. Certainly both have good beaches. I just don't know anything about the cost of rentals there. I don't personally see why FL would be out of the question though. People are always talking here about how open-minded and family-friendly St. Pete is, so I would at least look into that more before giving up on FL as an option for you. And since there is no state income tax in FL, while that is not a good thing overall for our infrastructure and public works, it does mean that your budget might extend a little further than it would in other states.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:54 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
I am not as familiar with areas of FL outside of SFL, but many people on the forum recommend St. Pete to people who are looking for your requirements. Maybe also somewhere in the Jupiter/Juno area would work? There are plenty of tourists in FL, but these areas have some local culture while not being very "redneck-y," St. Pete has plenty to do and the Juno/Jupiter area is pet friendly (including pet friendly beaches, which you can't find everywhere) and is near an area with more going on. Certainly both have good beaches. I just don't know anything about the cost of rentals there. I don't personally see why FL would be out of the question though. People are always talking here about how open-minded and family-friendly St. Pete is, so I would at least look into that more before giving up on FL as an option for you. And since there is no state income tax in FL, while that is not a good thing overall for our infrastructure and public works, it does mean that your budget might extend a little further than it would in other states.
St Pete actually isn't very family-friendly with fairly poor public schools. If they didn't have kids I would recommend it hands down though.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:39 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
There are lots of places out West that are far more open, tolerant, and progressive than Florida and especially North Carolina and Tennessee.
But, but truly tolerant people, rather than the narrow minded, have no problems with "red Necks" whoever they are. I currently live in the Knoxville area of TN, though I own property in FL, and have seen some of the kindest most helpful people here. Oh they would be considered red Necks by many who are a bit bigoted and closed minded (Thus not good neighbors). Just say'n.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:01 PM

6 posts, read 25,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
But, but truly tolerant people, rather than the narrow minded, have no problems with "red Necks" whoever they are. I currently live in the Knoxville area of TN, though I own property in FL, and have seen some of the kindest most helpful people here. Oh they would be considered red Necks by many who are a bit bigoted and closed minded (Thus not good neighbors). Just say'n.
Here there is a difference between Southerners and what's classified as "rednecks." By "redneck" we are generally referring to the more narrow-minded, ignorant and racist type of people we have in this area. Charleston is somewhat remarkable in the sense that it's more open-minded than most southern cities, while still being completely close-minded in other aspects. For example, most people don't look twice at a homosexual couple, while interracial couples still viewed very negatively. I don't want my daughter growing up anywhere that could poorly influence her views towards any group of people for any ridiculous reason.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:18 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
St. Pete would definitely be a fit, with only the schools possibly being and issue as Kyle mentioned. It has a wonderful laid back vibe, a vibrant waterfront downtown with miles of waterfront parks, cultural amenities, etc. Overall it also is not a terribly expensive city, although the more desirable neighborhoods will cost you.

You probably need to make a list of priorities, as anywhere in Florida will differ greatly from NC or TN. Everything from weather, demographics, topography, etc. I am a native Florida girl and love the warm weather and beaches here. We almost moved to NC once, and while beautiful, at the end of the day, too cold for me and I realized how much I NEED the coast. (just one factor)

I would also try to visit some of the places on your list. We all have our opinions here, some people hate FL no matter what and try to discourage anyone, but you will need to decide for yourself if it's for you. What you have in your favor is not having to worry about jobs - that is huge.

Good luck!

Old 07-21-2014, 02:31 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
St Pete actually isn't very family-friendly with fairly poor public schools. If they didn't have kids I would recommend it hands down though.
Not entirely true. Northeast St Pete or areas north of DT are family oriented. As for the poor schools, no first hand experience but there's areas further north in mid-Pinellas(closer to the beaches) with pretty good schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida