U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2014, 10:50 PM

3 posts, read 2,608 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are going to move to Fl next month, it has to be near Davenport, but I need good elementary and middle school.
Any suggestion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 11:15 PM

147 posts, read 167,573 times
Everyone has different opinions about what schools are 'good'. Right now the only way to really evaluate area schools other than talking to people you know and trust with children in them is to look at the school grades. Here a link to schools in Davenport: Polk County Public Schools Polk County, Florida

Another area you might want to consider is 34714 which mostly feeds into Sawgrass Elementary and Windy Hill Middle. 34714 is actually in Lake County and is just up Highway 27 from Davenport.

Here's a link to the school grades for Lake and you can easily change the drop down to also look at Polk and other surrounding counties in the 4 Corners area. Lake County 2014 School Grades | theledger.com | The Ledger | Lakeland, FL

Good luck with your move!

Old 08-01-2014, 09:00 PM

3 posts, read 2,608 times
Thank you so much, I will check the links.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:11 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,153,067 times
Just out of curiosity because we see a lot of this, how does one come to the conclusion that one is moving to a new far away state within a month, and with kids who must be enrolled in school, without knowing where one is moving to/what schools the kids will be enrolled in? I am eternally amazed that people give themselves so little time, and with such little research, to be able to succeed in a new environment. A lot of people move here and then hate it, and it would seem like this kind of last-minute planning is a big contributor... Moving is so expensive that you should be really sure you like the area and its schools BEFORE you move, so you don't get stuck. Just curious...

Old 08-02-2014, 11:31 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,251,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
Just out of curiosity because we see a lot of this, how does one come to the conclusion that one is moving to a new far away state within a month, and with kids who must be enrolled in school, without knowing where one is moving to/what schools the kids will be enrolled in? I am eternally amazed that people give themselves so little time, and with such little research, to be able to succeed in a new environment. A lot of people move here and then hate it, and it would seem like this kind of last-minute planning is a big contributor... Moving is so expensive that you should be really sure you like the area and its schools BEFORE you move, so you don't get stuck. Just curious...
In some cases the need for relocation comes on unexpectedly.

Most people who relocate anywhere tend to like their choice. Some do not. What I find strange is the reasons given for not liking life in FL. Hot, bugs, unfriendly people, lower wages, lack of mountains, lack of change of seasons, HOA's and other commonly and universally known reasons usually come up as reasons they cant stand being in FL.

Most people do research new places to call home. They investigate all the necessary factors to insure their choice is a good one for them. Certainly there are people who are nomadic and like to change their living situations frequently. There are also people who have never been away from their native territory for very long before and then there are those who want something in life that they are not getting where they are and find out it is in abundance elsewhere. Then there are those who have to relocate due to a life emergency such as an ill relative who needs personal assistance, the offering of a fantastic employment or financial situation and other reasons.

Ive never met anyone who had to make a life changing decision based on a passing thought. There seems to always be a compelling reason. Human beings are extremely adoptable to many different situations but to be happy they need to be someplace that appeals to their needs.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:13 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,153,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
In some cases the need for relocation comes on unexpectedly.

Most people who relocate anywhere tend to like their choice. Some do not. What I find strange is the reasons given for not liking life in FL. Hot, bugs, unfriendly people, lower wages, lack of mountains, lack of change of seasons, HOA's and other commonly and universally known reasons usually come up as reasons they cant stand being in FL.

Most people do research new places to call home. They investigate all the necessary factors to insure their choice is a good one for them. Certainly there are people who are nomadic and like to change their living situations frequently. There are also people who have never been away from their native territory for very long before and then there are those who want something in life that they are not getting where they are and find out it is in abundance elsewhere. Then there are those who have to relocate due to a life emergency such as an ill relative who needs personal assistance, the offering of a fantastic employment or financial situation and other reasons.

Ive never met anyone who had to make a life changing decision based on a passing thought. There seems to always be a compelling reason. Human beings are extremely adoptable to many different situations but to be happy they need to be someplace that appeals to their needs.

Some good points that there can be emergencies that require moving to a specific place without much time to plan - perhaps a sick relative, or a loss of one job but finding another really quickly. Still, there are thousands of people who move to FL without a lot of forethought, because they are just impulsive type of people, or may be nomadic as you mention. Perhaps you are not in the location to meet as many of them, but I promise you, a bunch come down to the Keys every month. Then they post all over the local papers and craigslist desperately seeking help with their bills, or to raise the money to get out. Just read some of the older threads here on the Keys and you'll see it - people who come down with no job, no savings, no clue where they'll live, just $20 worth of gas in their barely-rolling car that they hope will hold out until they at least cross the county line, and a dream.

Although the OP stated a specific town to move to, which I assumed meant perhaps a job had been acquired, there are endless similar threads started in the Florida forum with a question about what neighborhood, or what city even, to move to with the words "I'm moving down in a month..."

I'm not trying to be judgmental, but I'm really curious, because that is just not how I roll. I don't make a decision that I'm moving to an area with a fast-approaching deadline, before even knowing where I'm moving to. It generally takes longer than 1 month to secure an apt for move-in, and certainly to buy a house. It's not fast to enroll kids in school either, usually taking at least a few weeks to get paperwork and doctor's appts/medical forms in order. It makes it hard when you have no place to live then for kids to start going to school, and for adults to start going to their new job. A lot of people come down here and are living out of their car or staying in a motel they can't afford for long, waiting to find the right place to move in. Meanwhile it would have been a lot easier to determine a specific housing situation and started the paperwork, started the paperwork with the corresponding schools, and THEN move down. And then you're more likely to like the place - you can't pretend, Hill, that all neighborhoods are the same and choosing a living location last-minute is going to guarantee the people like the place. It's more likely that it might not be the best fit for them, because they didn't take enough time to get to know the local areas. I assumed since the OP hadn't chosen schools yet, they haven't picked a neighborhood to live in, because that usually determines the schools. So if you haven't even secured housing, it's hard to come down in a month - which by the time you pick the neighborhood and find an open apt. there might be two weeks or even one week left.

It's not so much judging as I just think... wow, that sounds so stressful, it would be so much easier to pick the place FIRST, and then set the deadline to move down. I was wondering if the OP just likes doing things that way, for some reason finds it easier than I would, or maybe had a specific reason to do things so hurriedly. They owe me no explanation of course, but I am just curious, because so many people do things this way when coming to FL, and yet it's not really that common of an occurrence that people HAVE to move to the other side of the country without having housing in only a month. That would be an unusual circumstance. But it's not at all unusual for people to move down to FL in so short a timeframe - it's got to often be intentional. And I just wonder why, if you had a choice, you would do things this way, because moving is so hard and this seems to make it even more high-stakes. So it's just a question I wonder every time another of these threads gets posted...

Old 08-03-2014, 07:37 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,590,084 times
Davenport schools are terrible. Look in Clermont instead. Try for homes zoned for East Ridge High for the best schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida