U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Florida: lifelong, job market, cost of living, buy a house, insurance premium.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 09:43 AM

3,334 posts, read 12,610,746 times

Advertisements

How many people in this forum are life long Floridians or have been there longer than 25 years. I enjoy reading many of the posts at Citi-Data but I am most interested in Florida. I wonder what you think about people that have moved there recently and post opinions or give others advice about your state as if they were lifelong residents. I have my own thoughts about it. What are yours. Do you feel they are being truthfull and accurate. Thanks for replying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2006, 10:14 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,339,446 times
I tell it like it is. I have been in Florida all my life. I have seen the good and the bad. I think most who move here for the Jobs are finding the pay has not changed with the cost of living here. Construction jobs have been great for the last 5 years. Now construction is slowing and laying off workers.There are jobs but are very low paying. Retiree's would move here and die here. but now if your on a fixed income its hard to pay more every year. I see alot of the long time residends cashing out at the high prices and moving away to other states in the south. Expendituers from all the new development have put pressure on the tax base. Most of the areas are so overbuilt now it will take years to see the homes built in the last 2 years sold to other then speculaters. For sale signs are everywhere. alot of older areas have become gettos. But the sun is still there.

Last edited by firemed; 10-29-2006 at 11:16 AM..

Old 10-29-2006, 12:26 PM

231 posts, read 989,579 times
I was born in Florida roughly 1960. That was before A/C. I have seen it when it was great, Lawton Chiles was a good Governor. Jeb is a tard and has done some major damage.
I wouldn't put a kid in a public school anywhere in the state.
I wouldn't buy a house built here in the last 8 years, they put them up with glue and staples in hours, and they come down a lot faster.
This is the destination of choice for Child molesters, vagrants, drug dealers (and especially users) and other colorful characters you wouldn't see invited to live with the people who have made them so welcome. The legal system in most Florida counties is a sad joke, the state attorneys are usually even worse. New "Stand your ground" legislation is a plus.
This peninsula has always grown it's population from the coasts inward, and the southern half is nearly full. Many of the smarter buyers have been looking North of I-4.
Florida doesn't have a state income tax, state agencies are always broke as a result.
Our leaves don't change color in fall, the license plates do though.
White Gran Marquis with out of state tags driven by 100-yr old people have the right of way.
Some one will tell you how they did it back up naaawth, daily at least!
If you want restaraunt food in season, phone in a carry out.
If you're a senior, a juvenile, or a single female........ there will be wackos climbing out of every crevice imaginable to prey on you.
It's very rare for native Floridians to remain in state long into their adulthood. I left for military service and did miss our warm climate and fishing, Harley riding and golfing all year round, so I came back. You can garden all year round, it's a plus too. Our winters are nice...... but if you've ever been in a hurricane you will wonder why you own property here when you see how fast it can all disintegrate.
The insurance premiums are making a lot of snowboids sell their Fl homes and just rent when they're down here. I have 3 homes, and it's $9,200 to insure them this year..... up from $3400 2 years ago. I keep hearing people say insurance companies won't renew their policies if their house is more than 10 yrs old and they have to go to Citizens Insurance (The Mafia, more so than the rest of them).
It's something where a lot of serious research is required.
I wish I had a dime for everybody that visited a few times, loved it..... quit their job and came on down with a car load of clothes and learned the hard way that they are going to get a third of their old salary, pay a lot more for everything, get crappy service everywhere they go....... and hear a recording in spanish when they dial 911. I would have more money that Bill Gates.
Good luck

Old 10-29-2006, 12:34 PM

The other thing you see is seniors are getting hit extra hard by the inflation here. Also, a lot of seniors here are raising their grandchildren instead of the actual parents.
Many have to come out of retirement to keep their homes or their medical care. You see many bagging groceries or delivering car parts. My neighbor is 90 and he spends 4 hours a night chopping up produce at Publix to keep up with the extra insurance and taxes. He will probably have to sell his house and go into an apartment complex.

Old 10-29-2006, 12:39 PM

4,337 posts, read 6,026,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvard View Post
I wouldn't buy a house built here in the last 8 years, they put them up with glue and staples in hours, and they come down a lot faster.
Where do you live??? My house is made of cement block with steel poles running through it then more cement poured into the holes. This has been the code since 2002. It will withstand 140 mph winds. Maybe this is why all you people living in lean-to's are crying about your high property insurance rates.

To anyone thinking of moving to Florida, buy a newer house that meets hurricane codes. Builders are required to supply hurricane shutters and your property taxes will be pretty much what you're use to from up north. Don't listen to these crackers. They hate the growth and they'll stop at nothing to keep even one of you from coming down here. Does this answer your question as to how some (not all) Floridians feel about newcomers?

Old 10-29-2006, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytail View Post
Where do you live??? My house is made of cement block with steel poles running through it then more cement poured into the holes. This has been the code since 2002. It will withstand 140 mph winds. Maybe this is why all you people living in lean-to's are crying about your high property insurance rates.

To anyone thinking of moving to Florida, buy a newer house that meets hurricane codes. Builders are required to supply hurricane shutters and your property taxes will be pretty much what you're use to from up north. Don't listen to these crackers. They hate the growth and they'll stop at nothing to keep even one of you from coming down here. Does this answer your question as to how some (not all) Floridians feel about newcomers?
Just telling it like it is.
did you have 140 mph winds hit you yet ? The titanic was unsinkable. and how do you keep the stormsurge from removing the sand your home is built on? Crackers did not build in most areas due to storms. We dont hate growth or newcomers we just know things about Florida you will never know or should I say Want To Know.

Last edited by firemed; 10-29-2006 at 01:40 PM..

Old 10-29-2006, 01:28 PM

Go watch the drunks build some homes some time.

Old 10-29-2006, 02:29 PM

251 posts, read 806,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytail View Post

My husband is a contractor for million dollar plus homes and let me tell you if you aren’t building a house worth over 2 million it’s crap! I would live in a 40 year old plus home over ANY 200k to 500k “NEW” home built within the last 10 years. They MAY have been up to “code” but they are shotty constructed, beer can walls that construction workers pee in, flat out “track” homes built by a bunch of drunken pot smoking day laborers. My husband only builds very high end homes because the Custom Home builders actually care about what they are building! He too even has a very difficult time hiring skilled workers that have even a drivers license and they have to be watched like a bunch a two year olds. So give me a home that was built in the 1930’s, 40’s, 50’s when people were PROUD of what they built and cared about how it was constructed because most of them don’t anymore! P.S. Those “old” houses are more likely to be around in another 20 or 30 years as they have survived the last 20 or 30 plus years!

Taxes and Insurance are NOT what they are up North! I have in-laws and friends that live in Pennsylvania, Michigan, Delaware, Colorado, Tennessee, South Carolina, and not ONE of them is paying anything NEAR what I am in insurance or property taxes and I do NOT live in a lean-to but a 1960’s well built (up to code) 3300 sq ft house on 3 ½ acres. Now if you want to compare Florida’s taxes to New York maybe they are still cheaper but not in most other places!

Lastly as a Florida “Cracker” I am saddened by the way our state has changed for the bad in the last several years. The FACTS are that crime is up, taxes are up, insurance is up, while our schools are ranked second to last in the entire United States, and our state is one of the lowest wage paying states! That is not an opinion it is just the plain hard truth and anyone wanting to move here should be told the truth.

Old 10-29-2006, 04:21 PM

75 posts, read 307,111 times
I've lived here since 1979 ( I was 2-years-old) in Miami, Pensacola, Clearwater and now Tampa. It doesn't matter much to me who gives advice on Florida. Advice is advice, and someone must like living here since there are 20 something million floating around. Truthfully, I have tried for 11 years to get out of the state, but obviously not hard enough. I'm greedy and go where the jobs are, and it is always easier to get hired in the state you live in, especially when you are on the young side.

My wife and I make more money than most Floridians I think, so we were able to get a decent first home recently. I am scared for many of the people who do the lesser pay / labor-intensive work here. In the Tampa area, the median household income is below $40K, maybe closer to $35K. My guess is that a first-time home buyer would need to have a household income of $60K to afford even the smallest home in a non-ghetto neighborhood. Yes you could get a condo for less, but not much. Even a teacher who has worked in the system for 20 years could not afford a small house now. I have no idea how these people are going to be able to afford homes. I hear it all the time at work. Even people I know who have homes are living on interest-only mortgages praying that their home doubles in value again soon (yeah right) so that they can get out alive.

Also, 95% of people who say they have been through a real terrible hurricane in the past 20 years are full of it. Katrina caused damage (mostly in Mississippi), but it was only real terrible because the levy broke and flooded New Orleans. I could have done that myself with a shovel (maybe two shovels). The Punta Gorda hurricane a few years ago, Charley was it I think, was a fairly bad one (no major cities there though). I lived South of Miami when Hurricane Andrew hit. I watched walls explode and my refrigerator walk out the back door. I saw entire neighborhoods disappear overnight, and none of this was right on the coast. I saw looting like in New Orleans and every homeowner sitting on their roof or at what was left of their front door with a shotgun waiting to blow any stranger's head clean off. I lived in a neighborhood of 3000 sqft homes, and close to 50% had to be leveled. Things were even worse South of where I lived. Eventually, the real one will hit some downtown area like Miami or Tampa, and then people can talk about whether their homes (or even skylines) were built well.

Boy can I ramble, what was the topic again?

Old 10-29-2006, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimSlade View Post
I've lived here since 1979 ( I was 2-years-old) in Miami, Pensacola, Clearwater and now Tampa. It doesn't matter much to me who gives advice on Florida. Advice is advice, and someone must like living here since there are 20 something million floating around. Truthfully, I have tried for 11 years to get out of the state, but obviously not hard enough. I'm greedy and go where the jobs are, and it is always easier to get hired in the state you live in, especially when you are on the young side.

My wife and I make more money than most Floridians I think, so we were able to get a decent first home recently. I am scared for many of the people who do the lesser pay / labor-intensive work here. In the Tampa area, the median household income is below $40K, maybe closer to $35K. My guess is that a first-time home buyer would need to have a household income of $60K to afford even the smallest home in a non-ghetto neighborhood. Yes you could get a condo for less, but not much. Even a teacher who has worked in the system for 20 years could not afford a small house now. I have no idea how these people are going to be able to afford homes. I hear it all the time at work. Even people I know who have homes are living on interest-only mortgages praying that their home doubles in value again soon (yeah right) so that they can get out alive.

Also, 95% of people who say they have been through a real terrible hurricane in the past 20 years are full of it. Katrina caused damage (mostly in Mississippi), but it was only real terrible because the levy broke and flooded New Orleans. I could have done that myself with a shovel (maybe two shovels). The Punta Gorda hurricane a few years ago, Charley was it I think, was a fairly bad one (no major cities there though). I lived South of Miami when Hurricane Andrew hit. I watched walls explode and my refrigerator walk out the back door. I saw entire neighborhoods disappear overnight, and none of this was right on the coast. I saw looting like in New Orleans and every homeowner sitting on their roof or at what was left of their front door with a shotgun waiting to blow any stranger's head clean off. I lived in a neighborhood of 3000 sqft homes, and close to 50% had to be leveled. Things were even worse South of where I lived. Eventually, the real one will hit some downtown area like Miami or Tampa, and then people can talk about whether their homes (or even skylines) were built well.

Boy can I ramble, what was the topic again?
Andrew was a bad storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or