U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 05:52 PM

36 posts, read 96,074 times

Advertisements

We will most likely leave Florida (although it is a desicion that we are struggling with). Much of Florida is becoming plowed down for tourism or retiree's. We are people who want pasture for our horses and to be able to look outside and see no one. Pretty soon that will not be a possibility in Florida. And of course the housing prices make it difficult to "upgrade". We agree that improvment is necessary, but it seems to be done with the all might dollar in sight rather than what would be good in the long run. They ran an article in our local paper a few months ago stating that if you were a young family within the median income, and you did not already own a home here, the chances were that you never would. Fortunatly we do own our own home, however we would like to improve on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2006, 07:05 PM

55 posts, read 207,130 times
We're leaving FL. We've been here since Dec 85. We miss a lot about the Midwest - most of family still there....want to spend time with my parents esp. We have a daughter here in Sebring who is married with 1 child...they're moving with us. We'll be leaving 2 daughters in Tampa though which is going to be very hard.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:27 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,150,271 times
Have friends there right off Rt. 27 near the lake. They don't like it there.
They say its boring.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:15 PM

850 posts, read 2,898,284 times
Talking UTOPIA, Ya'll!!

I cannot speak for the brochure in the 1950's, but I can tell you from a recent trip to my mother's house in Sebring - I am ready to leave the Bluegrass behind and become a Floridian!

The entire layout of Sebring could not be more user friendly. There are bike lanes for those of us who wish to forget about gasoline, a large lake that takes 12 miles of peddling to bike around, and so many shops and beautiful things...I could go on and on.

The best part is the location to the beach. Looking from the map, it would appear closer to the Atlantic, and it is - as the crow flies. However, the driving takes closer to 2 hours. BUT....in 1 hour and 30 minutes, depending on how fast you are driving (my father refuses to travel over 50 on a 60MPH hwy.) - it is possible to be sitting on the Gulf in the middle of the softest, whitest sand imaginable!

As you can tell - I am in love with SW and S Central Florida, and as soon as I can, I am out of here!

I flew out on 10-30-06, and returned 11-06-06 - and I have been depressed since the plane hit the ground. I am so tired of grey skys, rain, blah, blah, blah.

Back to Sebring - I would recommend, and do to everyone, especially my children who are just starting out - to get to Florida as soon as possible. Sebring is picture perfect, close to everything, and truly a gem between the coasts.

Hope that answers your question!

KimmieyKY

Old 11-24-2006, 11:22 AM

4 posts, read 19,728 times
Default weather

We moved to Lake Placid 2 years ago after vacationing around here for years. It is very beautiful and the lakes are fun for boating. I think there is no utopia but people have not mentioned the main reason for living here instead of somewhere north and that is of course the winters!
I have lived in Iowa and Maryland, visited much of the U.S. and it is almost perfect here in the winter. That makes the biking and walking nature trails in nearby Highlands Hammock State Park a lot of fun. Taking pictures, going to the beach etc. We enjoy planting tropical flowers and bushes, palm trees, citrus. Fresh food from the farmers markets.There is not a lot of shopping but I find that just saves money and we think of a lot of other things to do.

Kids always think anywhere they live is boring. People tend to take their own attitudes and habits with them. Some people would not be happy anywhere. The people we have met are very friendly and our neighors are great. We love it here.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:18 AM

18 posts, read 83,204 times
Default Where to move in Florida?

Hi every one!

My husband and I would like to move to Florida in 5 years or so.
We want to buy a large piece of land ( around 1 or 2 acres) right now, but we don't know where.

My husband's sister bought a vacant land in Okeechobee, but it may not be buildable when we're ready to move, because there is no road yet.

We also heard good things about Sebring.

We will gladly appreciate your ideas and suggesions.

Hyp!

Old 08-08-2007, 12:42 PM

33 posts, read 163,732 times
Wow! A thread on Sebring! Yes, there is a Sebring, Florida and I live here. So, I think I can comment accurately.

Boring...Yes, my kids were bored with the last place we lived too. Don't know exactly what teenagers need to be un-bored. I suspect it involves danger, breaking the law or some kind of adrenalin rush. Yes, it's somewhat boring here....for teenagers and young adults who don't have jobs.

Do you have to be old to live here?.....It's helpful. Sebring, along with most of Florida was an attraction for retirees. There are 32 mobile home parks in Highlands County, all but one of which are 55+. Does that give you some idea of the average age of people in Sebring? BTW, when I say "Sebring" I mean the town and the surrounding area. The town itself is on the other side of Lake Jackson from hwy 27 which is where most of the businesses are located.

Jobs and Money....This is NOT the place to come to get a high paying job. There are more jobs lately than in the past few years because of the new construction. In the past 5 years I've lived here, my unqualified guess would be that there have been built along Hwy 27:

Five banks.
Five or six new or revived restaurants.
A Lowes (across from Home Depot of course).
A new strip mall that is about to open with Petco, Bed Bath and Beyond, Target, Starbucks and all the other big companies.
Hundreds of new homes.
At least 2 major hotels.
etc.

I have to second a previous post on the schools (they're passable). As for crime, the stats show it to be pretty high but I can assure you most of it takes place in one small area near the "Downtown" area and most people stay clear of it. I never see it in other areas of town or the county. I've gone away for a week and forgot to lock one of my back doors. Nothing was bothered when I got back. You can leave your car doors unlocked in most places except the Walmart parking lot. Crime is pretty low for the most part.

The worst thing about Sebring is the heat and humidity but that's only an issue from mid-June through October. The winters here can't be beat! It's the best place I've ever lived from November thru April, weather-wise. During those months, it's sunny, 50-70 in the day and 40-60 at night. Never seen it snow here. I have seen it snow in Miami, only once. Still got the Miami Herald with "SNOW" on the front page. Sebring is the place to be in the winter unless you're heavily into snow sports.

The lake is a great place to swim, ski or just hang out on. My home is on one of the canals leading into Little Lake Jackson which leads to Lake Jackson and I used to have my boat tied up in the back yard (before I sold it). A short cruise down the canal leads to some nice skiing, a few white, sandy beaches and 2 restaurants which have lakeside dinning and docks. One used to have nightly entertainment. I could drive my boat right up to the restaurant, anchor and lay on the beach with a cold beer and listen to the music. Once a month there is a Seaplane "Fly-in" where all the seaplanes from wherever fly in for lunch. I was always hoping Jimmy Buffett would discover that and show up one day.

Highlands Hammock State Park is here and has wonderful hiking trails. You can RV there, too. There are several Farmer's Markets and our own "Henscratch Farms" where I go to get eggs from free-roaming hens. They have festivals, grape-stomps when wine season is in, and plenty of U-Pick strawberrys, blueberrys and other fruits. There are several major motorcycle weekends during the year where hundreds of riders come to downtown to eat, drink and have a good time. The local college sponsors some big name entertainers during the year and there are 2 local Big Bands that put on dances during the winter months.

The town is a seasonal town meaning most of it's population are "Snowbirds". That's one reason why it's "Boring" especially in the summer. At least there are no lines to stand in and the driving is much nicer in the summer.

I've included some pics. The first one is from one of the beaches along Hwy 27 and Lake Jackson. The town of Sebring in on the other side of the lake from where this pic was taken. The second is of Harder Hall which was built in the '20s and who's fate is still up in the air. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Sebring,Florida....Utopia?-park_0008.jpg   Sebring,Florida....Utopia?-park_0010.jpg  

Old 09-10-2007, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 8,162 times
Hello Blue Grass Fever, et all. I was so pleased to see your thread on Sebring while surfing that I registered here to reply.

My parents moved to Sebring in 1957 when they retired (and I was just a child.) We built a house on Lake Jackson, and lived there until 1961 when we moved (a big jump) to Portland, Oregon. I went to school at Woodlawn Elementary, first through fourth grade, and have fond memories of swimming off our dock, boating, aligators, snakes (this is getting less fond..)

I'd love to see your pictures or hear from anybody who lived in Sebring way back then!

Old 09-22-2007, 08:49 PM

10 posts, read 54,870 times
Default looking into Sebring

My husband is a physician and has been offered a job in Sebring. We're in our late 30's and have two small kids (5 & 7). Our main goal is a good place to raise our kids. I used to live in Miami and we now live in a "small" town of TX (close to 200,000 people). I want to move back to FL because of weather and to be closer to family but my husband will only move to a small or smaller town. any advice about Sebring, Springhill, New Port Richie, Ocala, or any other small towns of FL. PLEASE!!

Old 10-31-2007, 04:21 PM

947 posts, read 3,237,061 times
I lived in Florida once before, up in Cocoa just off Highway 520. Aside from the over abundance of humidity, it was a decent place to live.

I was far removed from seeing or being a victim of crime because of my location.

I'm talking to a company in the Sebring/Avon Park area about a job, so we'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida