U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-31-2007, 10:37 PM
 
Location: Florida
2,209 posts, read 6,902,869 times
Reputation: 599

Advertisements

We've been back and forth to the area ( LP ) and it's one 3 areas that have our interest. Waiting on more realistic pricing among other things before becoming motivated to get serious though.

Glad to see the information on this thead. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2007, 05:19 AM
 
Location: In the sunshine on a ship with a plank
3,413 posts, read 7,984,240 times
Reputation: 2217
I travel throughout the state for my job and I find Sebring to be a charming area. A friend of mine transferred there to work with Highland County Schools and loved the area for raising his family.

The downside (for me) is the distance to drive to the beaches. Florida is so humid and the further away from the coast (either coast) the hotter your summers are. I like having the ocean or gulf a few miles away rather than hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2008, 09:07 PM
 
8 posts, read 47,098 times
Reputation: 16
We live in Sebring, been here 10 years vacationed here forever, since birth. We are a young family under 35 and we do like it here a lot. Sebring is growing and yes it is not cheap and yes the job market is not great, the homes are expensive if you want to be somewhere out of the "quarters" and the price of gas is higher in Sebring than many other palces, but we still will not be moving.

It was set up for retirees but no longer, the job market is getting better but not for the big bucks jobs of course. To get to the beaches is super easy and not that long, less than 2 hours depending on where you go and how heavy you foot is...LOL It is easy to get around and everythign is convienantly located. JMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2008, 08:22 AM
 
2 posts, read 8,448 times
Reputation: 13
Default ummmm

Ummm... Wow.

I spent my childhood and beginning adulthood calling Sebring my hometown... though I moved around quite a bit after the age of 16, it seems like that's always where I end up... Even now, after spending nearly two years in upstate New York, it seems that Sebring is calling me home, yet again... just like it does to everybody else. In fact, I think I know only one family to have escaped Sebring for more than two years... Everyone else that moves out is always drawn back within that time. This time, I'm moving back to have my first child near my mother, but everyone has their own reason, and for me it's always a new one, usually a less happy occasion.

Boring, someone said... There's no real lack of amenities, not anymore. Bars, albeit ****ty ones, a mall barely keeping its head above water, but all the big name corporations, including the rush of new ones, are all thriving. I'd say the number of big businesses, Target, Starbucks, Olive Garden, etc. at least doubled between when I left in July 'o6 and my recent return visit last October, and none of them seemed to be hurting for customers, although nothing new ever is in Sebring - unlike the larger cities I've lived in, when something opens, it's an event, and everyone in town who doesn't show up at least knows about it. There's a pool hall, several public 'beaches' (on a lake that I personally am afraid to enter), a racetrack, and a nightclub that's changed owners and names god-knows-how-many times since its opening. The "boring" factor in Sebring, at least for young adults, probably stems from the fact that everything is spread out, including people in their peer group, and let's face it, there aren't very many of them. If you're over 55, however, there's plenty of social opportunities and you can rest assured that the entire town is designed and operated with you in mind.

Of course, no matter how old you are, you can always find plenty of high quality cocaine just lying around... Nope, not trying to see if you're still paying attention, I'm serious. Due to it's prime location in relation to Miami, Sebring plays host to (DEA estimate - I bet it's more) 50 metric tons of coke per year (more than New York City, and better quality too!), and most of the town is on it. And don't beleive previous poster's claim that all crime goes on in the downtown area (i.e. "four corners" and about ten minutes' walk to "behind the L"); plenty of people you wouldn't expect are riding the white dragon, I'm sure. Keep an eye on your neighbors, folks!

The cops do take a moral hardline on the drugs they catch, which is way less often the big traffikers and almost always the harmless teenager with his dimebag of pot or his dirty pipe. The Highlands County approach to crime control favors a revolving door policy, of course, and that dirty pipe will haunt you in various forms for years to come. Too bad the judge sentencing you to three years' probabtion and hundreds of dollars in fines probably has a half ounce of that coke for personal use in their desk drawer! The entire structure of the town reeks so badly of good-ol-boyism that the cologne of increased police presence is no longer covering it, only making it more obvious.

That's the Sebring you don't see in the brochure, beneath the shiny wrapping paper. That's the Sebring I, and those around me, have lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2008, 10:58 AM
 
670 posts, read 1,509,560 times
Reputation: 269
Default Wow!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2b View Post
Ummm... Wow.

I spent my childhood and beginning adulthood calling Sebring my hometown... though I moved around quite a bit after the age of 16, it seems like that's always where I end up... Even now, after spending nearly two years in upstate New York, it seems that Sebring is calling me home, yet again... just like it does to everybody else. In fact, I think I know only one family to have escaped Sebring for more than two years... Everyone else that moves out is always drawn back within that time. This time, I'm moving back to have my first child near my mother, but everyone has their own reason, and for me it's always a new one, usually a less happy occasion.

Boring, someone said... There's no real lack of amenities, not anymore. Bars, albeit ****ty ones, a mall barely keeping its head above water, but all the big name corporations, including the rush of new ones, are all thriving. I'd say the number of big businesses, Target, Starbucks, Olive Garden, etc. at least doubled between when I left in July 'o6 and my recent return visit last October, and none of them seemed to be hurting for customers, although nothing new ever is in Sebring - unlike the larger cities I've lived in, when something opens, it's an event, and everyone in town who doesn't show up at least knows about it. There's a pool hall, several public 'beaches' (on a lake that I personally am afraid to enter), a racetrack, and a nightclub that's changed owners and names god-knows-how-many times since its opening. The "boring" factor in Sebring, at least for young adults, probably stems from the fact that everything is spread out, including people in their peer group, and let's face it, there aren't very many of them. If you're over 55, however, there's plenty of social opportunities and you can rest assured that the entire town is designed and operated with you in mind.

Of course, no matter how old you are, you can always find plenty of high quality cocaine just lying around... Nope, not trying to see if you're still paying attention, I'm serious. Due to it's prime location in relation to Miami, Sebring plays host to (DEA estimate - I bet it's more) 50 metric tons of coke per year (more than New York City, and better quality too!), and most of the town is on it. And don't beleive previous poster's claim that all crime goes on in the downtown area (i.e. "four corners" and about ten minutes' walk to "behind the L"); plenty of people you wouldn't expect are riding the white dragon, I'm sure. Keep an eye on your neighbors, folks!

The cops do take a moral hardline on the drugs they catch, which is way less often the big traffikers and almost always the harmless teenager with his dimebag of pot or his dirty pipe. The Highlands County approach to crime control favors a revolving door policy, of course, and that dirty pipe will haunt you in various forms for years to come. Too bad the judge sentencing you to three years' probabtion and hundreds of dollars in fines probably has a half ounce of that coke for personal use in their desk drawer! The entire structure of the town reeks so badly of good-ol-boyism that the cologne of increased police presence is no longer covering it, only making it more obvious.

That's the Sebring you don't see in the brochure, beneath the shiny wrapping paper. That's the Sebring I, and those around me, have lived.

This is easily the best post I have seen in city-data in quite a while. And, it's her first!
Thank you mama2b!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2008, 02:25 AM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 41,282,124 times
Reputation: 10955
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2b View Post
Ummm... Wow.

I spent my childhood and beginning adulthood calling Sebring my hometown... though I moved around quite a bit after the age of 16, it seems like that's always where I end up... Even now, after spending nearly two years in upstate New York, it seems that Sebring is calling me home, yet again... just like it does to everybody else. In fact, I think I know only one family to have escaped Sebring for more than two years... Everyone else that moves out is always drawn back within that time. This time, I'm moving back to have my first child near my mother, but everyone has their own reason, and for me it's always a new one, usually a less happy occasion.

Boring, someone said... There's no real lack of amenities, not anymore. Bars, albeit ****ty ones, a mall barely keeping its head above water, but all the big name corporations, including the rush of new ones, are all thriving. I'd say the number of big businesses, Target, Starbucks, Olive Garden, etc. at least doubled between when I left in July 'o6 and my recent return visit last October, and none of them seemed to be hurting for customers, although nothing new ever is in Sebring - unlike the larger cities I've lived in, when something opens, it's an event, and everyone in town who doesn't show up at least knows about it. There's a pool hall, several public 'beaches' (on a lake that I personally am afraid to enter), a racetrack, and a nightclub that's changed owners and names god-knows-how-many times since its opening. The "boring" factor in Sebring, at least for young adults, probably stems from the fact that everything is spread out, including people in their peer group, and let's face it, there aren't very many of them. If you're over 55, however, there's plenty of social opportunities and you can rest assured that the entire town is designed and operated with you in mind.

Of course, no matter how old you are, you can always find plenty of high quality cocaine just lying around... Nope, not trying to see if you're still paying attention, I'm serious. Due to it's prime location in relation to Miami, Sebring plays host to (DEA estimate - I bet it's more) 50 metric tons of coke per year (more than New York City, and better quality too!), and most of the town is on it. And don't beleive previous poster's claim that all crime goes on in the downtown area (i.e. "four corners" and about ten minutes' walk to "behind the L"); plenty of people you wouldn't expect are riding the white dragon, I'm sure. Keep an eye on your neighbors, folks!

The cops do take a moral hardline on the drugs they catch, which is way less often the big traffikers and almost always the harmless teenager with his dimebag of pot or his dirty pipe. The Highlands County approach to crime control favors a revolving door policy, of course, and that dirty pipe will haunt you in various forms for years to come. Too bad the judge sentencing you to three years' probabtion and hundreds of dollars in fines probably has a half ounce of that coke for personal use in their desk drawer! The entire structure of the town reeks so badly of good-ol-boyism that the cologne of increased police presence is no longer covering it, only making it more obvious.

That's the Sebring you don't see in the brochure, beneath the shiny wrapping paper. That's the Sebring I, and those around me, have lived.
I never had problems in Sebring. Of course, I worked at the Home Depot, and walked back towards Harder Hall. Never experienced a bit of crime. My only concern was the taxi service. They close up shop after 6 p.m., for the most part. I was lucky enough to ask at a bar I passed by--that did karaoke a few nights--for a taxi service that DID operate late at night. That was right next to Hammock Road. I don't remember the name of it.

When I was able to get a vehicle, I got a lemon, but judging from where I got it...I totally understand why it collapsed so quickly. But once I drove around Sebring, I found the "circle" area confusing. Preferred the area near Harder Hall better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2008, 04:07 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
4,678 posts, read 8,492,430 times
Reputation: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by kath2210 View Post
Have YOU ever been to Highlands County?
I know this wasn't directed to me, However, I once got a ticket in Avon Park doing the same speed as everyone else, When the cop came to the door I asked him why me when everyone else was doing the same speed and he said " Because you were last in line "

Only time I've ever been to Highlands County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2008, 11:52 AM
 
2 posts, read 8,448 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I never had problems in Sebring. Of course, I worked at the Home Depot, and walked back towards Harder Hall. Never experienced a bit of crime. My only concern was the taxi service. They close up shop after 6 p.m., for the most part. I was lucky enough to ask at a bar I passed by--that did karaoke a few nights--for a taxi service that DID operate late at night. That was right next to Hammock Road. I don't remember the name of it.

When I was able to get a vehicle, I got a lemon, but judging from where I got it...I totally understand why it collapsed so quickly. But once I drove around Sebring, I found the "circle" area confusing. Preferred the area near Harder Hall better.

Well, considering the fact that so much as a dirty pipe is a felony in FL (no kidding, my best friend got jumpout squad style, thrown on the ground with a gun in her face arrested and charged with a felony after trying to buy $10 worth of pot), people aren't terribly public with their drug habits, but I guarantee you, even in the affluent harder hall neigborhood, a bunch of your neighbors have a nice little stash going. In fact, my ex boyfriend's roommate used to (or maybe he still does, I don't really know) deal coke out of their house back there.

The crime rate isn't usually the kind with victims; robberies tend to be between drug dealers so they're rarely reported... If you or someone close to you isn't involved in the drug scene, you wouldn't know about it. In fact, a lot of people live in Sebring for years and have no idea about what's really going on around them... Just keep in mind that when you hear a couple rounds of firecrackers going off in the middle of the night and it's nowhere near July, it means someone's getting shot. I promise.

Oh, that bar is called Yogi's... my friend's mom is a bartender there...

And Harder Hall is haunted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2008, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Ridgway/Saint Marys, PS
947 posts, read 3,240,708 times
Reputation: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2b View Post
Well, considering the fact that so much as a dirty pipe is a felony in FL (no kidding, my best friend got jumpout squad style, thrown on the ground with a gun in her face arrested and charged with a felony after trying to buy $10 worth of pot), people aren't terribly public with their drug habits, but I guarantee you, even in the affluent harder hall neigborhood, a bunch of your neighbors have a nice little stash going. In fact, my ex boyfriend's roommate used to (or maybe he still does, I don't really know) deal coke out of their house back there.

The crime rate isn't usually the kind with victims; robberies tend to be between drug dealers so they're rarely reported... If you or someone close to you isn't involved in the drug scene, you wouldn't know about it. In fact, a lot of people live in Sebring for years and have no idea about what's really going on around them... Just keep in mind that when you hear a couple rounds of firecrackers going off in the middle of the night and it's nowhere near July, it means someone's getting shot. I promise.

Oh, that bar is called Yogi's... my friend's mom is a bartender there...

And Harder Hall is haunted.
Having one friend who smokes pot and getting arrested for it along with another friend who deals coke isn't something to brag about.

Your friend got what she deserves and I hope the coke head gets what's coming his way too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2008, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 41,282,124 times
Reputation: 10955
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2b View Post
Well, considering the fact that so much as a dirty pipe is a felony in FL (no kidding, my best friend got jumpout squad style, thrown on the ground with a gun in her face arrested and charged with a felony after trying to buy $10 worth of pot), people aren't terribly public with their drug habits, but I guarantee you, even in the affluent harder hall neigborhood, a bunch of your neighbors have a nice little stash going. In fact, my ex boyfriend's roommate used to (or maybe he still does, I don't really know) deal coke out of their house back there.

The crime rate isn't usually the kind with victims; robberies tend to be between drug dealers so they're rarely reported... If you or someone close to you isn't involved in the drug scene, you wouldn't know about it. In fact, a lot of people live in Sebring for years and have no idea about what's really going on around them... Just keep in mind that when you hear a couple rounds of firecrackers going off in the middle of the night and it's nowhere near July, it means someone's getting shot. I promise.

Oh, that bar is called Yogi's... my friend's mom is a bartender there...

And Harder Hall is haunted.
I don't do drugs, so I'm not hip to it. Was it Yogi's? Right there by the road that leads down to Hammock State Park? Not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top