Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 07:47 PM

142 posts, read 578,570 times

Advertisements

To me it's hotter (and more humid) in NC, SC and Georgia in the summer than it is in Fla..

Old 03-08-2007, 08:58 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,655,019 times
We went a bunch of times. Like the scenery. High Speed CABLE internet is almost an impossibility. It's an integral part of our business so we kept looking further and further down the mountains. Started in Asheville worked out way down to Tryon. When we got to Tryon the ugly looks became quite obvious from MANY locals ( My Wife is Asian and I'm Caucasian ).

No way would I put up with that.

No Italian food or markets. Asian food is almost non existent unless pork fried rice and the like is considered far east food ( which it is in WNC ). Then of course there's the taxes. At our income level it would have cost us at least another 10K a year in NC state income taxes. All that and no technology.

Heard further east in the Triangle is better from that standpoint but we pretty much wrote it off.

Our money stays in Fla although we're thinking about buying a second home in upstate NY or the Poconos, no more than 2 1/2 hours from NYC for getaways.

If that doesn't work then there's always more gold and certificates of deposit, bonds, etc.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:45 AM

173 posts, read 680,782 times
So all in all, the carolinas just plain out suck like I was saying. You can't get half of the things that you can get in FL. The ONLY good point is the mountains and not to mention peace.

Another bad point is that once you move to the carolinas, it is so hard to get out because of the income level and the job markets... Unless you're in bigger cities, you won't find any good jobs locally. That is why my dad has to travel over 45 miles out of town just to work, and his job is threatening to shut down. It's hell here in the carolinas. No joke. Only a few cities are OK. If you can find them.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:15 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
We went a bunch of times. Like the scenery. High Speed CABLE internet is almost an impossibility. It's an integral part of our business so we kept looking further and further down the mountains. Started in Asheville worked out way down to Tryon. When we got to Tryon the ugly looks became quite obvious from MANY locals ( My Wife is Asian and I'm Caucasian ).

No way would I put up with that.

No Italian food or markets. Asian food is almost non existent unless pork fried rice and the like is considered far east food ( which it is in WNC ). Then of course there's the taxes. At our income level it would have cost us at least another 10K a year in NC state income taxes. All that and no technology.

Heard further east in the Triangle is better from that standpoint but we pretty much wrote it off.

Our money stays in Fla although we're thinking about buying a second home in upstate NY or the Poconos, no more than 2 1/2 hours from NYC for getaways.

If that doesn't work then there's always more gold and certificates of deposit, bonds, etc.
Asheville is fabulous, it has everything you want. I have a house there with high-speed internet. Every kind of restaurant (lots of Italian) you could ask for, Asian too. Lots of great grocery markets. And an eclectic, diverse Bohemian population. It's drop-dead beautiful, too!

Old 03-09-2007, 10:24 AM

68 posts, read 422,637 times
A newly hired co-worker of mine recently came back to Florida (Citrus county) after lasting 8 months in N.C. He had moved to a suburb of Raleigh in order to get closer to NY, where he's from originally. He told me, and these are his words, that it's much more rednecky than Florida, there's not much to do and the street he lived on was like something out of 'Desparate Housewives'.
I guess this makes him a former half-back.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:37 AM

19 posts, read 64,336 times
I am thinking of moving there. Why do you ask? Did you like it when you on a visit? I hear Charlotte is very much a city.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:51 AM

19 posts, read 39,304 times
I was born and raised in SC. Moved around alot and have been back here for a few years b/c my dad is sick. I hate the Carolinas. Love to visit, but living here is really only good for retirement. People are very friendly, but there is a "behind closed doors" kind of racism here that you can't see in a quick visit. The racism comes from both whites and blacks here. I'm white and when I was in high school in the mid 90's I got stuff thrown at me by black kids, molested in the hallways and called racist names. It was horrible BUT it is just as bad having to grow up hearing racist jokes from your older white relatives and once at my high school someone burned a black doll from the flag pole. It was so embarassing to see that and know that b/c I'm white people probably thought I was like that too. I would never want my kids to grow up in such a close-minded place. Also, I live in Charleston which is claimed as a cosmopolitan city in the South. Yeah right. I just feel like North and South Carolina are just always a bit backwards and behind socially, politically, everything. It's kinda like always living 5 years behind the rest of the country. There are actually even ravers here still! The last time I heard going to a rave was cool was 1998. Also there is very little diversity. No good food besides Southern food. Forget about good Chinese, Indian, or even Italian food. Not that many attractions besides the mountains and beach which can get boring. Education is horrible. I could go on and on. These are of course just my opinions and are based on what I value as a good place to live...so take it with a grain of salt, visit for as long as you can, and go with your gut.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:27 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,718,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPopRox View Post
I was born and raised in SC. Moved around alot and have been back here for a few years b/c my dad is sick. I hate the Carolinas. Love to visit, but living here is really only good for retirement. People are very friendly, but there is a "behind closed doors" kind of racism here that you can't see in a quick visit. The racism comes from both whites and blacks here. I'm white and when I was in high school in the mid 90's I got stuff thrown at me by black kids, molested in the hallways and called racist names. It was horrible BUT it is just as bad having to grow up hearing racist jokes from your older white relatives and once at my high school someone burned a black doll from the flag pole. It was so embarassing to see that and know that b/c I'm white people probably thought I was like that too. I would never want my kids to grow up in such a close-minded place. Also, I live in Charleston which is claimed as a cosmopolitan city in the South. Yeah right. I just feel like North and South Carolina are just always a bit backwards and behind socially, politically, everything. It's kinda like always living 5 years behind the rest of the country. There are actually even ravers here still! The last time I heard going to a rave was cool was 1998. Also there is very little diversity. No good food besides Southern food. Forget about good Chinese, Indian, or even Italian food. Not that many attractions besides the mountains and beach which can get boring. Education is horrible. I could go on and on. These are of course just my opinions and are based on what I value as a good place to live...so take it with a grain of salt, visit for as long as you can, and go with your gut.
I was looking at one point into moving to NC and had some concerns about being called a "Yankee". Even more than that, since I'm coming from a big city, I had a bad feeling I wouldn't fit in most places in the South. Your description of SC/NC is similar to everything that I have heard about the area, and have since changed my mind about moving there.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:42 PM

19 posts, read 39,304 times
ItChick... Glad I could help

Old 03-10-2007, 06:40 PM

124 posts, read 815,986 times
We are moving this spring to get our young family out of FL....to Western NC....schools in NC aren't that great to choose wisely. We mainly want the terrain and seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: