U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 03:08 PM

4 posts, read 8,894 times

Advertisements

I Am From New Jersey And I Am Looking To Purchase A Home In Hte North Port Area Because Of The Weather And Price Range Can Anyone Tell Me What To Watchout For And Is The Quality Of The Homes Ok Is It A Nice Area To Live Any Help Greatly Appreciated Thank You I KNOW Nothing About The Area

Last edited by postinno; 12-22-2007 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: SPELLING
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 03:38 PM

7,486 posts, read 19,936,580 times
I live in North Port and love it! It really depends on the home that you choose as far as quality of builder.

I just wrote a contract a few days ago on a home that was 1700 sq ft under air, garden tub, big shower, French doors, large screened lanai, high ceilings, plant shelves and in a great neighborhood. The home is a foreclosure and went under contract for under $140,000.

As with any town there are some great neighborhoods and some neighborhoods that aren't as nice.

I would suggest staying away from short sales if you can. They often take months to close, if they even close at all. There are some fantastic deals on foreclosures (where the bank actually owns the property).

There is new construction popping up all over the city. A new Home Depot, Wal Mart and City Center all with in the last three years. A new Publix just opened up last week as well.

If you like nature and don't want to be in an over populated city, North Port is the place for you. It's about 25 minutes from Englewood Beach, 45 minutes to Sarasota and Fort Myers airports, 10 minutes to the mall.

It's a great place to live with houses that are reasonably priced!

Old 12-22-2007, 05:24 PM

thank you for replying are there any other beaches in the area

Old 12-22-2007, 05:38 PM

7,486 posts, read 19,936,580 times
Yes, there are many depending on how far you want to travel:
Englewood Beach is about 25 minutes away

Venice beach about 25 minutes away-there is also a dog beach here as well, right next to Sharky's on the Pier Restaurant

Boca Grande beach is about 30 minutes away

Nokomis beach is about 30 minutes away

Siesta Key beach is about 40-45 minutes away-the sand on this beach looks like white sugar, very fine and white

Lido Beach 40-45 minutes away

Beer Can Island on the north end of Longboat Key 40-45 minutes away

Anna Maria Island beaches are about an hour away

Port Charlotte beach is about 15 minutes away but it's not that pretty in my opinion

Old 12-22-2007, 07:26 PM

774 posts, read 1,904,997 times
If you look back a page or two, or do a search on this forum for North Port, you'll find a ton of information has recently been posted.

It's worth a look back.

Mikey

Old 12-23-2007, 09:06 AM

1,023 posts, read 2,995,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
If you look back a page or two, or do a search on this forum for North Port, you'll find a ton of information has recently been posted.

It's worth a look back.

Mikey
Yes, except a lot of it is from disgruntled individuals. I say...don't look back. I know a great realtor in the area (native to that area) DM me if you want her info, and I'll get it over to you. No strings...just ask her some questions.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:52 PM

Smile Please Any Info Would Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
Yes, except a lot of it is from disgruntled individuals. I say...don't look back. I know a great realtor in the area (native to that area) DM me if you want her info, and I'll get it over to you. No strings...just ask her some questions.
THAT WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL BUT I AM A LITTLE LEARY OF REALTORS BEING MOST ARE OUT TO MAKE A QUICK SALE BUT I WILL TALK WITH HER IF YOU PROVIDE INFO

Old 12-24-2007, 08:18 AM

11 posts, read 45,406 times
Default Disgruntled?

Disgruntled for telling the truth? That's really not fair.
If I have to move, and inquire about an area, I hope someone will give me the good news and the bad news so I can prepare and make a balanced decision.

Speaking from experience, I cannot say moving here would be a great move, unless you have plenty of money to start with, and a way to keep that income. If you work in a service industry, it's going to be rough.

I moved here two years ago with a better than average management and technology salary, and two company-closings later, I'm working three part time jobs using half my brain, and half of what I make is going into the tank for the commute.

A neighbor I know was laid off as a chef and resorted to mowing lawns - eventually lost his house after six months.

It's true - this is a great area... that's why I came here from Gainesville (loved it, but no jobs for non-students) and later Tampa (kind of a dirty place, in my opinion) in the first place. I hope something happens soon so I go back to enjoying it.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:00 AM

I Am Retireing From The Post Office And Get A Pension Of 2000 A Month With Medical Coverage And Would Like To Purchase A Home Without A Mortage Will I Be Able To Survive

Old 12-24-2007, 09:22 AM

3,842 posts, read 9,431,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pragmatic1 View Post
Disgruntled for telling the truth? That's really not fair.
If I have to move, and inquire about an area, I hope someone will give me the good news and the bad news so I can prepare and make a balanced decision.
Exactly

A look back in history & just a few years ago shows what happens when only one side of the story is told & eveyone is expected to accept that side & dare they question...

It's got pros & cons just like anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida