U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 10:25 PM

12 posts, read 48,673 times

Advertisements

WE are in florida, for 7 years, but thinking moving to NC.
Is anybody who moved from FL, would say, I WISH I DIDN'T MOVED? And why?
Or do you like in NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2006, 12:39 AM

2,909 posts, read 12,990,438 times
I dont see why NC is much better. I am moving out of Florida but not to NC, its too expensive and theres alot of rude people there. Ive heard great things about WV and OH and am likley to choose one.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:11 AM

177 posts, read 629,957 times
In the process of deciding where we wanted to relocate to, I went on the internet and checked out the state income taxes in the places we were contemplating. North Carolina was near the top of our list but the state only exempts $4000 in pension income and you pay taxes on the rest. It would have been about $1800 a year for my income if I didn't work. Higher taxes if I did work.
We didn't look at Ohio because we are trying to get away from the frigid cold in the north. I don't remember what the tax consequence of moving to West Virginia was but I seem to remember them taxing pensions.
Our last trip to North Carolina (New Bern) sort of left us with the impression that house prices were getting high in the desirble areas and taxes were increasing just like almost everywhere else.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:03 AM

71 posts, read 287,003 times
Cold weather. Im from fl for 20 years and moved to north Ga a year ago. Im freezing from oct-march. Im moving back to fl as soon as we sell..Its alot different other states, its like a totally different world. Even though I hate the humid drenching weather in Fl, i'd rather be warm than cold.Weather is a big thing. If you move, make sure you can take weather that is very cold for months.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:26 AM

How cold is "cold?" I have a friend in SE Ohio and he says its hardly cold. Nice in the spring and fall and the winters are barely below freezing. That I can deal with.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:58 AM

if your from fl, cold is 60 degrees.lol..its a big change in weather from fl to even ga. believe me..fl warms up during the day and ga doesnt warm up untill 4-5 pm. witch means, it stays cold all day and night.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:00 AM

also, it doesnt go above 50 degress in the winter here in north central ga, and 20 degrees it gets to some nights and thats frigin cold for a floridan.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 19,808 times
Hi, I livee in Boca Raton and Fort lauderdale for 17 years and I love the weather and palm trees, but bought a house in Homosassa because I hate what is happening to South Florida. I am starting to research areas in Noeth Georgia, North carolina and Tennessee for a home maybe during the summer months.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadragon View Post
also, it doesnt go above 50 degress in the winter here in north central ga, and 20 degrees it gets to some nights and thats frigin cold for a floridan.

Once you get used to the cold, you wont mind 20 degrees much. Yes Georgia is cooler but also much cheaper and no hurricanes! I find OH even cheaper and it doesnt seem to be much colder.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:48 PM

1,418 posts, read 9,367,607 times
A lot of Floridians are getting second homes in North Georgia; some in North Carolina, but these tend to be permenant retirees.

You need to really do your research. You will need the assistance of a decent real estate agent(s). North Georgia is a safer bet. Western North Carolina is a little more difficult. Unless you are thinking about moving to North Foridalina, i.e. Highlands, or Ashville, there are some real land mines to watch out for. For example, many parts of rural North Carolina don't have zoning. This means that if you buy your beautiful 10 acres on the side of a montain and build your $800,000 dream house in the middle of paridise, the guy next door to you could decide to open up a biker campground, or put up some metal industrial buildings. Don't laugh, this actually happened to an unsuspecting Floridian! Getting water out of a rock can be an issue - everyone is on well and septic, and just because you like the view doesn't mean you can live there. Some places are simply inaccessible. Also, about 90% of western North Carolina is National Forest land, so you are really pretty limited as to where you can live. Don't forget, they don't have garbage pick up in the mountains - you will need to haul your own garbage to the transfer stations.

My advice to any Floridian thinking about moving "to the Mountains", is stay in the Georgia mountains for starters, pick a place that is within 5 miles of a small town, buy a place that already has a house or cabin on it, and pick a place that other Floridians like to go to. This way you won't lose your butt on your investment when you get more familiar with the layout of the area and eventually decide to move....or stay. Also, if you pick a location that is near a popular river or lake, or other attraction, you can rent it out if you need to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or