Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 01:29 PM

15 posts, read 36,496 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Me and my family are considering on moving to Florida and we needed some more input on how others feel about Florida. Whether it be adaptation from one state to another or being home sick, from change of weather to how long it took other people to adapt to Florida life that came from another state. We have been thinking about moving for about 4 years now but my wife is too scared, afraid we wont be able to make it financially and miss family from NJ and she was also afraid to move to a different environment and and be away from people she sees everyday. Please help me help her be more comfortable in moving to Florida.

Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 01:41 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,366 times
Where in Florida and also do you have a stable job(s) lined up?

Old 10-22-2007, 02:04 PM

960 posts, read 1,686,436 times
If your wife is not 100% behind moving away from family, then there is no amount of information that would change her mind. If she did move, just to please you, then you would have a very unhappy wife regardless of which state you choose.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:06 PM

Default Where in Florida and also do you have a stable job(s) lined up?

we are not sure we have been looking all around maybe leesburg or coral springs we are not realy sure thats why we are asking for impute are you from florida and what do you suggest and job wise no we dont but we are goin to take a trip there and try to set something up before we go down we are also saving up so that if we dont get one rite away we will have enough for a full years rent on a place and extra for are other expenses but we realy want as much impute as we can get besides what we read on the internet i have some family in leesburg

Old 10-22-2007, 02:11 PM

Default If your wife is not 100% behind moving away from family, then there is no amount of information that would change her mi

yes that is true thats why its taking four and a half years to decide but she is learning that the family she didnt want to move away from is moving away and the others dont want to bother with us it was her idea this time she is also the one who told me to post it on here we just want to learn a little more before we just say ok and go gun ho and move there iv herd people say it took them like a year to get use to florida way of life and then i have herd others say acouple months

Old 10-22-2007, 02:46 PM

960 posts, read 1,686,436 times
Ahh ok. I thought you were stating that she was "scared" to move from NJ. I would suggest having a job lined up before you get to Florida. I can't recommend SWFL, because unless you are a nurse or something similar, there are very few jobs and very low pay. Most employment is minimum wage retail and tourism. Unfortunately, SWFL is not for "regular joes".

Old 10-22-2007, 02:54 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeaks56 View Post
we are not sure we have been looking all around maybe leesburg or coral springs we are not realy sure thats why we are asking for impute are you from florida and what do you suggest and job wise no we dont but we are goin to take a trip there and try to set something up before we go down we are also saving up so that if we dont get one rite away we will have enough for a full years rent on a place and extra for are other expenses but we realy want as much impute as we can get besides what we read on the internet i have some family in leesburg
Those two cities are about as dissimilar as you can possibly get. Ones cheap, and for a reason (Leesburg), the other actually has at least some economic substance but is obscenely expensive. The former is definitely a lifestyle change, the latter is not. One has a school system famous for racial tension, the other has a great reputation for schools, but they are rapidly declining. One is in a semi-rural area, the other is a suburb of an urban mess of 5 million people. One is a small-scale, poorer town, the other is an upper-middle class area on a slow decline. It really depends on what you are looking for.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:56 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
What do you do for a living? Do you have kids? How old are you? Where are you moving from?

Old 10-22-2007, 04:26 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,211,940 times
sometimes i feel like a did something stupid. i moved my wife and i out of nc and moved us to orlando. we like florida. both fla natives. we have family in fla and nc, but when comparing the 2 cities --- the one we used to live in and now (in orlando) i feel like we should have moved elsewhere. with that said, research the heck outta where u are moving to. i would never make the move to orlando again (if given another opportunity to do so).

Old 10-23-2007, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
Ahh ok. I thought you were stating that she was "scared" to move from NJ. I would suggest having a job lined up before you get to Florida. I can't recommend SWFL, because unless you are a nurse or something similar, there are very few jobs and very low pay. Most employment is minimum wage retail and tourism. Unfortunately, SWFL is not for "regular joes".
yes she is scared but about moving somewhere different all she knows is jersey she wants to make sure its a good idea and that we can make it but i know for a fact we can we are hard working people and yes she works for a doctors office now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida