Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 10:25 AM

3 posts, read 7,655 times

Advertisements

Hi, my wife and my son and I are looking to move to Florida from Scotland, we would like to exchange the rain for sunshine!
Like most parents our sole concern is for our son, so choosing the area we live in is very important, we are looking for recommendations for an area with good schools, affordable houses and a relaxed lifestyle, I know we probably sound like every other poster on here, but could anyone recommend an area?

Many thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2006, 11:04 AM

71 posts, read 272,809 times
We like Wesley Chapel. Lots of families. Good growth area. Good schools. 30 miles north of Tampa Airport.

Welcome to Florida. Kona

Old 10-30-2006, 11:13 AM

39 posts, read 273,407 times
This is not a good time to move to Florida. Housing cost are out of site, the market is starting to fall now. However housing in Florida is still crazy, I think it has now peaked out, I would wait until in falls back in line before moving here. Go here to get local housing information: http://www.zillow.com this sites show what houses are selling for. But if you go the to Property Appraisels website you will see the value. For example my house is listed on zillow.com to sell for $173,000 but on the Property Appraisels website it is only valued at $97,000. This is true all over Florida.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:41 AM

243 posts, read 1,096,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoohank View Post
But if you go the to Property Appraisels website you will see the value. For example my house is listed on zillow.com to sell for $173,000 but on the Property Appraisels website it is only valued at $97,000. This is true all over Florida.

Isn't your county's property appraisal website home value calculated with the homestead and the cap factored in? That's why the "value" listed there is lower than market value--it's only "taxable" value.

BTW, now is a GOOD time to move to Florida, come while the unemployment rate is still low, better chance at finding a good job.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,332 times
Exclamation Thinking about moving to Florida?

If you would like to move to Florida, then come on over! I am in Lake City, and I do feel like this is a fine place to raise children. There are really some outstanding neighborhoods over here! In Lake City, strangers say, "Good Morning," and the couple on the porch always wave when you pass by. My favorite local area is Wellborn. It's just outside of Lake City (about 15 minutes away,) and it's the friendly "everyone knows everyone" atmosphere. That's always a plus when raising a child because Heaven forbid they should start some trouble, you would have a better chance of finding out and getting positive reinforcement from the neighborhood.

There was a prior comment made by tattoo something or another about the market being outrageous. The truth is, people are usually wanting a little too much for their property. However, there are many, many great opportunities to take advantage of for underpriced homes and fixer-uppers. Plus, asking price is often different from the selling price! The property appraiser is NOT a legitimate source for home value. It even says so at the bottom of the page - therefore, I would advise against following that little piece of advice.

Anyhow, well I hoped that I helped you a little! If I can help you in any other way (or at least try ) feel free to email me at Natasha@flasold.com.

Happy Home Hunting!

Old 10-30-2006, 01:23 PM

Here is information on Florida's Housing Market. Judge for yourself, the bubble is getting ready to pop. Already has in some areas.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/05/25/Co...sing_bub.shtml

http://www.businessweek.com/the_thre...rida_hous.html

Old 10-30-2006, 01:35 PM

Default One more Site

One last comment then I'm done. Read this website, it comments on the overvalued housing market. I quote from this this money article.

"The report named Naples, Florida as the most overvalued of all housing markets in the United States. A single-family, median-priced home there sells for $329,970, 84 percent more than what it should cost -- $180,956 -- according to the analysis."

http://money.cnn.com/2005/12/29/real...kets/index.htm

I just hate to see anybody come here drop $300,000 for a house then find out next year it won't sell for $150,000. Foreclosure are also up in Florida, because of the housing market.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:47 PM

3 posts, read 7,655 times
Thank you everyone for your comments, it is an exciting yet daunting prospect, I will use all of your input & hopefully find the right place for myself & my family.

Old 10-30-2006, 03:53 PM

8 posts, read 37,370 times
Default From Scotland

Try The Nature Coast Area. Pine Ridge, Beverly Hills Or Citrus Springs. Homes Are Not Overpriced And All Are Near Several Golf Courses And The School System Is Very Good.

Old 10-30-2006, 05:21 PM

16 posts, read 62,759 times
Default For Euan and Danielle

Hello Euan and Danielle, You might want to look in the Dunedin area in Pinellas County. That is in the Tampa Bay area. It is the sister city to Scotland. I don't know which city, but it is a charming place. And Pinellas County schools are the highest rated in our area. Where in Scotland are you coming from? My Grandparents were from Motherwell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida