U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 03:04 PM

6,284 posts, read 3,543,964 times

Advertisements

Today I am doing my Fall Cleaning and Decorating. I don't care if it is still a "Summer Paradise", the Calender says it is Fall and I will do everything I can to remind me that it is. Don't give a damn about "water, water, water". Lived on Long Island, born and raised in NYC, for over 25 years and can count on one hand the number of times I ever went to a BEACH. Yes, Virginia, Long ISLAND has a lot of beaches!. Only moved to Florida for JOB, not the WEATHER. As a Senior, I live my life in my house, and only go out in "paradise" when absolutely necessary. That is how I cope after 7 years.

In the meantime (2 years MAXIMUM here), I go back up to New York as much as possible in the FALL, and WINTER (oh, HORRORS!!!!) Leaving in a month for my Fall trip, and then Christmas, and probably in FEBRURAY (oh, no, SNOW!) I don't like NY (or anywhere) in SUMMER. ONE Christmas in Florida was more than enough for my kids, and ME and my husband. Horrible, horrible, horrible. Everybody in the WATER. No, thank you.

We aren't all clones of each other. Not EVERY SENIOR cannot take the cold. If everything people say is true, you would not be able to fit the entire country in Florida beating down your doors to escape cold weather. lol

My rant. To the OP, NOWHERE in the entire state of Florida can come close to NYC!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 04:13 PM

9,656 posts, read 6,957,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Today I am doing my Fall Cleaning and Decorating. I don't care if it is still a "Summer Paradise", the Calender says it is Fall and I will do everything I can to remind me that it is. Don't give a damn about "water, water, water". Lived on Long Island, born and raised in NYC, for over 25 years and can count on one hand the number of times I ever went to a BEACH. Yes, Virginia, Long ISLAND has a lot of beaches!. Only moved to Florida for JOB, not the WEATHER. As a Senior, I live my life in my house, and only go out in "paradise" when absolutely necessary. That is how I cope after 7 years.

In the meantime (2 years MAXIMUM here), I go back up to New York as much as possible in the FALL, and WINTER (oh, HORRORS!!!!) Leaving in a month for my Fall trip, and then Christmas, and probably in FEBRURAY (oh, no, SNOW!) I don't like NY (or anywhere) in SUMMER. ONE Christmas in Florida was more than enough for my kids, and ME and my husband. Horrible, horrible, horrible. Everybody in the WATER. No, thank you.

We aren't all clones of each other. Not EVERY SENIOR cannot take the cold. If everything people say is true, you would not be able to fit the entire country in Florida beating down your doors to escape cold weather. lol

My rant. To the OP, NOWHERE in the entire state of Florida can come close to NYC!!!!

And that would be in your own humble opinion. As has been emphasized so often in this forum, it really is different strokes for different folks. If we all liked the same thing it'd be too crowded to even exist there.

But I DO hope you can find your way to moving out of Florida one day. Life is too short to spend your life in a place that makes you so utterly miserable.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:37 PM

6,284 posts, read 3,543,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
[/b]

And that would be in your own humble opinion. As has been emphasized so often in this forum, it really is different strokes for different folks.
And that would be in your own humble opinion. As has been emphasized so often in this forum, it really is different strokes for different folks. If we all liked the same thing it'd be too crowded to even exist there. If we all liked the same thing it'd be too crowded to even exist there.

But I DO hope you can find your way to moving out of Florida one day. Life is too short to spend your life in a place that makes you so utterly miserable.

" As has been emphasized so often in this forum, it really is different strokes for different folks. If we all liked the same thing it'd be too crowded to even exist there."

I did say this, didn't I? It just irks me that so many Florida transplants think that the entire country envies them for living here (personally met a lot of transplant New Yorkers who think this), and would give their eye teeth to live here. That is totally not true. Vacation for a week or two in the Winter, maybe. Why don't SNOWBIRDS move to Florida year round?

Biding my time (retirement) and in a holding pattern to get out of here, but then I knew that in 1971 and only lasted 6 months back then. "Oh, you WILL be back". Hell, no, not at my age.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:23 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,201,348 times
Quote:
SNIP.......
Thankfully it is not anything like NYC. That was what I was getting away from.

Have a nice winter.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:25 PM

some people like cold snowing freezing weather. There are places for that.
Florida is warm and tropical year round (for the most part) and this is the place for that.
It all depends on what we are looking for in our existence.
No job is worth a miserable life though.

Quote:
" As has been emphasized so often in this forum, it really is different strokes for different folks. If we all liked the same thing it'd be too crowded to even exist there."

I did say this, didn't I? It just irks me that so many Florida transplants think that the entire country envies them for living here (personally met a lot of transplant New Yorkers who think this), and would give their eye teeth to live here. That is totally not true. Vacation for a week or two in the Winter, maybe. Why don't SNOWBIRDS move to Florida year round?

Biding my time (retirement) and in a holding pattern to get out of here, but then I knew that in 1971 and only lasted 6 months back then. "Oh, you WILL be back". Hell, no, not at my age.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
[/b]

And that would be in your own humble opinion. As has been emphasized so often in this forum, it really is different strokes for different folks. If we all liked the same thing it'd be too crowded to even exist there.

i could not imagine living life in a place I hated. Even when I lived in NYC and knew I wanted to be elsewhere I still had a good time living in NYC to the extent that a good time could be had.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:34 PM

9,656 posts, read 6,957,805 times
Quote:

LOL, I'm certainly not one of those folks who believes the entire country envies those who live in Florida- it's obvious they don't, and they shouldn't. Although from the throngs who visit Florida and end up living here, you'd think it was some type of a Utopia or they were at least giving things away! I've lived in Florida since I graduated from college ( mostly spent in Miami), so I *know* about all the warts and I know there are any number of valid reasons why people don't want to live in Florida. I've got several members of my own family who would never want to live in FL, most of them cite the summer heat and associated miseries as the main reason. Some of them really prefer the mountain scenery and the change of seasons, and I can understand that too. I'd never think of trying to persuade them to live in FL, nor would I claim that they're jealous of folks who live in FL. They aren't, and no reason they should be.

Actually though, in our neck of the woods there is a significant increase in new construction, and home sales by people from the northeast- many from NY- who have decided their snowbird days are over, as they get older, they weary of the travel, and the efforts in maintaining two homes, so they've decided to live year round in their chosen spot in Florida. I must admit to mixed feeling about the number of people coming- tends to crowd the location, and overwhelm the services, but they have the right to come if they chose to do so. So when we see the lines of out-of-state license plates making their way on our roads, especially in the winters, I can see where the thought that *everyone wants to live here* might cross one's mind ( not really, but sometimes it seems that way).

I meant it when I said I hoped you'll be able to leave Florida at some point and spend the rest of your days in a location you love- be that NYC or wherever it may be. At least you seem to be able to get away on a frequent basis, and you have the option of making the move permanent once you retire. I hope you will, I was serious when I said life's too short to live in any area that makes you miserable.
And I wish you luck, whatever you do.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:13 PM

12 posts, read 16,058 times
I live in Boise, ID but we're moving to the Tampa area as soon as my partner can get a job. Like they said, everyone has an idea of what is perfect for them. Boise keeps popping up on great places to live lists but I tend to disagree. Bad air at least six months out of the year, poor economy with rising cost of living, ridiculous politics, climate so dry my skin bleeds all winter and on and on. So yes, I'll trade this sportsman's paradise for humid and hot summers, clean air and the other pros and cons. I've visited the Orlando area 12 times at all different times of the year and, for me, find the temperatures just fine from October-May. I'm stuck inside 8 months out of the year in Boise due to either bitter cold, raging heat or smoky, polluted air. I have a friend who lives in Tampa and hates it, but he moved down there and ended up bitterly divorced and a recluse for four years. I don't think he's even tried to see what the area has to offer. Anyway, I just get tired of the people who make Florida out to be the devils toilet but I guess that could be anywhere. Do your own research like I have and decide the right place for you!

Old 09-30-2014, 08:31 AM

Well said Dexter. What I cant understand is :
1. Why did these people come here in the first place?
2. Did they not weigh the factors before coming here?
3. If it so horrible for them why are they still here? They left somewhere to get her so it shouldnt be too hard to reverse the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter3471 View Post
I live in Boise, ID but we're moving to the Tampa area as soon as my partner can get a job. Like they said, everyone has an idea of what is perfect for them. Boise keeps popping up on great places to live lists but I tend to disagree. Bad air at least six months out of the year, poor economy with rising cost of living, ridiculous politics, climate so dry my skin bleeds all winter and on and on. So yes, I'll trade this sportsman's paradise for humid and hot summers, clean air and the other pros and cons. I've visited the Orlando area 12 times at all different times of the year and, for me, find the temperatures just fine from October-May. I'm stuck inside 8 months out of the year in Boise due to either bitter cold, raging heat or smoky, polluted air. I have a friend who lives in Tampa and hates it, but he moved down there and ended up bitterly divorced and a recluse for four years. I don't think he's even tried to see what the area has to offer. Anyway, I just get tired of the people who make Florida out to be the devils toilet but I guess that could be anywhere. Do your own research like I have and decide the right place for you!

Old 09-30-2014, 01:36 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,142,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter3471 View Post
I live in Boise, ID but we're moving to the Tampa area as soon as my partner can get a job. Like they said, everyone has an idea of what is perfect for them. Boise keeps popping up on great places to live lists but I tend to disagree. Bad air at least six months out of the year, poor economy with rising cost of living, ridiculous politics, climate so dry my skin bleeds all winter and on and on. So yes, I'll trade this sportsman's paradise for humid and hot summers, clean air and the other pros and cons. I've visited the Orlando area 12 times at all different times of the year and, for me, find the temperatures just fine from October-May. I'm stuck inside 8 months out of the year in Boise due to either bitter cold, raging heat or smoky, polluted air.
Well honestly, it's always people from northern states who see Florida as some kind of tropical paradise. Somebody here said it best: unless you're into fishing or surfing, Florida doesn't offer much.

And by the way, isn't the Tampa area the place where sinkholes have been popping up during the last couple of years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida