U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 02:31 PM

9 posts, read 20,606 times

Advertisements

I am a single woman in my mid-30's considering a move from California (San Diego) to Florida. The reason for the move is SOLELY to be able to live ON the ocean. Problem is, I don't know where in Florida to consider. I have a research trip planned in 2 weeks and will fly into Jacksonville, rent a car, and drive down the east coast and up the west coast to fly out of Tampa. I am active and love all sorts of water sports and anything related to the beach and ocean. I have a little dog and dream of being able to open the door and walk on the beach with the dog every morning. I am an elelmentary treacher and would need to find out about good schools and transferring my teaching credential to Florida. I don't need a big house, can even live with a 1 bedroom 1 bath condo as long as it's on the beach. I can't pay any more than 400-500,000. I would like to have friends and a social life, therefore would like to have other people my age living around--in other words, not a retirement community. I don't care about the size of the community, but would like to have access to things like shopping, nice restaurants, medical care, etc. My passion is scuba diving and I am learning to surf. I would also really like a fireplace and hottub. The south east coast is out, I think--to hoity toity, nightclub centered, etc. I am a laid-back girl looking for a laid-back place to live on the ocean. Any ideas, suggestions, or advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 02:45 PM

548 posts, read 390,012 times
You are describing Jupiter and Palm Beach Gardens. Both have great school systems and tons of people your age. Both have very low crime. Both are very friendly. Tennis, golf, volleyball, water sports....this is heaven for active peoople!

The beach? Jupiter has easy beach access, drive right up, free parking.

Your dog? Great news....Jupiter's beach is all dog friendly! You can bring your dog and every beach access point even has doggy bag stands! Go to the website for the Friends of Jupiter Beach for more information. Great place to meet people, walking your dog on the beach in the mornings or evenings.

Palm Beach Gardens is just south, you can get up to Jupiter Beach in a few minutes.

But please..RENT!! This entire area is just beginning to unwind from a historic housing bubble. Prices are dropping on a monthly basis. You can pick from hundreds and hundreds of great rentals and watch the prices come down. Then buy in a year or two and save yourself lots of money!! You will get a lot more house for $400,000-500,000 in a 12 to 18 months than you will today.

Find rentals on realtor dot com or Palmbeachpost dot com.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:41 AM

7,486 posts, read 19,882,049 times
I would suggest the Venice area. Venice Beach is absolutely gorgeous and there is a dog beach and dog park in Venice.

The Island of Venice is very laid back and it has a quaint downtown area that has antique stores, an ice cream shop, etc. You could definitely find something on the island that fits your price range.

Here's a link to the Venice Chamber of Commerce (broken link) This website tells all about the local beaches. Venice is known as "The Shark's Tooth Capital of the World".

I did look up condos and found listings starting at $300,000 with direct gulf frontage in Venice. They are very close to the dog beach (probably within walking distance).

Sarasota county school system is one of the best in the state. I would suggest trying to get into Pineview School. It was rated the #6 school in the nation by US News.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 12-28-2007 at 09:00 AM..

Old 12-28-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I would suggest the Venice area. Venice Beach is absolutely gorgeous and there is a dog beach and dog park in Venice.

The Island of Venice is very laid back and it has a quaint downtown area that has antique stores, an ice cream shop, etc. You could definitely find something on the island that fits your price range.

Here's a link to the Venice Chamber of Commerce (broken link) This website tells all about the local beaches. Venice is known as "The Shark's Tooth Capital of the World".

I did look up condos and found listings starting at $300,000 with direct gulf frontage in Venice. They are very close to the dog beach (probably within walking distance).

Sarasota county school system is one of the best in the state. I would suggest trying to get into Pineview School. It was rated the #6 school in the nation by US News.
Why do real estate agents give people what they don't ask for?!!

1. She said ON the ocean in her post. She emphasized the word on.

2. Paying $300,000 plus for a condo in Venice, gulf frontage or not would be utter insanity. The median income is below $40,000 and hundreds and hundreds of great rentals are available very cheaply.

3. She said she was mid 30s and single. The median age in Venice is close to 70!! The median age in Jupiter/Palm Beach Gardens is about 40. Why on earth would a mid 30s, single gal, who loves active water sports choose Venice!!! Her post specifically said "people my age, not a retirement community"!!!

4. She said she is learning to surf. Hello? Ever see the gulf? Its flat as a board!!

Jupiter/Palm Beach Gardens is a million times closer to what she asked for.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:17 AM

She also said not in a hoity toity area which is exactly what Jupiter is and she said she would be looking on both coasts which indicates gulf or ocean.

Jupiter is definitely not laid back.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
She also said not in a hoity toity area which is exactly what Jupiter is and she said she would be looking on both coasts which indicates gulf or ocean.

Jupiter is definitely not laid back.
I lived there. Jupiter is extremely laid back. Jupiter Island is very rich, Admirals Cove is very rich. Those 2 areas are so rich that they throw off the entire median income stats. We are talking $20 million dollar estates. But these are very narrow areas of Jupiter....maybe 10% of Jupiter.

Egret's Landing, Abacoa, Jupiter Farms, and the rest of that area is full of young families and singles. Palm Beach Gardens is becoming a haven for 30 somethings.

Jupiter is amazingly laid back and progressive. The new Riverwalk area is designed for people from 1-50. The dog friendly beaches, free parking, easy access, nice lifeguards...it is about as laid back as it gets.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:26 AM

What could you buy in Jupiter in her price range on the beach/ocean?

Old 12-28-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
What could you buy in Jupiter in her price range on the beach/ocean?
There are hundreds of condos within walking distance to the beach on realtor dot com in her price range.

But like I advised, the housing bubble is just starting to unwind. A newcomer would be foolish to buy now.

She would be smart to rent for a year or so and learn the area. Why on earth would someone from Cali buy in the Florida market, a deflating bubble, without knowing if she will even like the area until she lives there for a while?

Come on now, we need to treat people fairly and give them solid advice on this forum. This person's situation screams out to rent for a while, and she does not fit Venice at all.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:50 AM

9 posts, read 20,606 times
Default Thank you!

Thank you both for all the info! I really appreciate it and am taking everything you said into consideration. I'm excited for my trip to be able to check these places out for myself. Please, keep all the info. coming!

Old 12-28-2007, 10:53 AM

10,732 posts, read 31,725,463 times
I live near Daytona Beach and have also spent time over in the Fort Myers area. I MUCH prefer the beach on the West coast then in my area. But please understand I don't have any recent knowledge of the beaches in South Florida, its literally been more then 10 years since I was down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or